880 foot long Chinese bridge collapsed

Perfessor

• Members

All we have heard (from our politicians) was how China is "up-and-coming" and going to purchase American goods...very high tech...nothing but plusses. Clinton even sold them some missle plans. So, they must be "good guys," right? However, over the past couple of years, look at all the negative press from China. Dog and cat food that poisened and killed many animals because of a poison banned in the US decades ago. Lead paint used on children's toys causing a recall in the US. A second round of children's toys recalled due to "hazardous" magnets and small pieces. The discovery that pork feed MIGHT have contained certain poisons that could be lethal to humans who would later eat the pork. Toothpaste that contained a poisonous residue.

WTF??? :confused:

I, for one, am very leery about purchasing anything from China, given their apparent disregard for the users/purchasers of their products. I would have thought that some political group would be calling for banning all Chinese products until testing proves them to be safe. But, I don't see that on the horizon. Unfortunately for us, quite a bit of our bass products are made in China, but look at the fast decline of Mackie after they moved production. Not to mention that China will surpass the US as the number one polluter when they fire up all those low-tech coal burning power plants.

I dunno. Something is not right, but I cannot put my finger on it.

• Members

All we have heard (from our politicians) was how China is "up-and-coming" and going to purchase American goods...very high tech...nothing but plusses. Clinton even sold them some missle plans. So, they must be "good guys," right? However, over the past couple of years, look at all the negative press from China. Dog and cat food that poisened and killed many animals because of a poison banned in the US decades ago. Lead paint used on children's toys causing a recall in the US. A second round of children's toys recalled due to "hazardous" magnets and small pieces. The discovery that pork feed MIGHT have contained certain poisons that could be lethal to humans who would later eat the pork. Toothpaste that contained a poisonous residue.

WTF???
:confused:

I, for one, am very leery about purchasing anything from China, given their apparent disregard for the users/purchasers of their products. I would have thought that some political group would be calling for banning all Chinese products until testing proves them to be safe. But, I don't see that on the horizon. Unfortunately for us, quite a bit of our bass products are made in China, but look at the fast decline of Mackie after they moved production. Not to mention that China will surpass the US as the number one polluter when they fire up all those low-tech coal burning power plants.

I dunno. Something is not right, but I cannot put my finger on it.

Too late, China has already passed the US as number one polluter and is on track to pass the US and EU combined. Just wait until India catches up.

The West must use tariffs and embargoes to force other countries to meet our pollution, safety, and quality standards in manufacturing and shipping processes.

• Moderators
Considering what happened recently over the Mississippi River, I don't think making fun of collapsing Chinese bridges is in order.

Um, the bridge over the Mississippi River at least lasted 40 years. This bridge in question didn't even have a chance to let the mortar dry.;)

• Members

Considering what happened recently over the Mississippi River, I don't think making fun of collapsing Chinese bridges is in order.

+1

This thread would have a ribbon on it if it weren't for everyone wanting to jump on a country that's been painted as a political enemy for them by the media and government.

• Members

Um, the bridge over the Mississippi River at least lasted 40 years. This bridge in question didn't even have a chance to let the mortar dry.
;)

This one never got a chance to be used either.

[01.08.07 07:18] OROVILLE, California :

A highway overpass that was under construction collapsed, crushing a delivery truck and seriously injuring a construction worker who clung to a steel beam as it tumbled 50 feet (15 meters) to the ground. Firefighters swarmed the FedEx delivery truck to cut its driver from underneath a large steel beam that crushed the hood but missed the cab Tuesday. A second beam landed on the back of the truck.

• CMS Author

+1

This thread would have a ribbon on it if it weren't for everyone wanting to jump on a country that's been painted as a political enemy for them by the media and government.

Would you paint the Chinese government a political friend...or a friend (ally) of any kind? This same government is likely responsible for the rush-job that killed those people. Not that human life has ever been very important there.

• Members

The West must use tariffs and embargoes to force other countries to meet our pollution, safety, and quality standards in manufacturing and shipping processes.

thank you. I've been saying this for about 6 years. I also say that these tariffs and embargos should also be in effect with any country that we trade unevenly with.

• Members

Would you paint the Chinese government a political friend...or a friend (ally) of any kind? This same government is likely responsible for the rush-job that killed those people. Not that human life has ever been very important there.

I certainly don't see them as any sort of ally, and I agree that their government is far from saintly, or anything deserving of good words.

I'm just disturbed that people are so preconditioned about what to think of the government to a point where they'll go off on it even in an event where the real issue is disaster and loss of human life. Tying this too the government isn't far fetched, I'll agree, but still pretty presumptuous and insensitive, especially considering the events that have occurred here recently, as JazzAd has pointed out.

• Members

And let us not forget what they did to Jack Bauer and Audrey Raines :eek:

• Members

Same said countries welcomed the industries, and their money, with open arms.

Exactly.

So it's really a moral issue.

Does money allow one to pollute and buy other people/countries' health ?

It's not like the carbon offset idea was new, this is just the same.

• Members

I can't comment on the other topics of conversation in this thread, but the fact that China is a communist country, I think that is what allows more problems to slip through. There's fewer people in control, and not as many people looking over their shoulders (checks and balances), so there's apt to be more deals going on behind the scenes. I'm not saying this doesn't happen in the US and elsewhere, but it's more likely to happen in communism and a dictatorship: just look at what Chavez is doing.

Archived