DAOTD: Sudan

Craig Vecchione

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Hurray. No religion and Joe Stalin still kills millions as does Pol Pot. You should send me to the guillotine while you have the chance.
:p

You know I am joking or at least you should now. Painting religious or non-religious with a broad brush is equally ignorant.

• Moderators
You know I am joking or at least you should now. Painting religious or non-religious with a broad brush is equally ignorant.

I knew you were joking. That's why I used the tongue sticking out emoticon. You and I are very much in agreement with this. There are good and bad people in every country, race, creed, religion, etc. :thu:

• CMS Author

I admit, I was not very articulate here. Nothing justifies anything. All I was trying to say is, Islam is hardly the only religion that has been twisted to justify horrific practices. Rather than the people who do this, the entire religion tends to get blamed.

Religion is people. (So is Soilent Green) The people don't stand up against this crap. Hence my conclusion that it is getting harder and harder to have any respect for these people, and their religion.

Bringing up the Catholic church issues is an excellent example. Priests molest children, and someone finds out. It's not supported and people speak out against it. Legal action is taken. The church circles its wagons, which loses them further support. Imagine the same instance, but with Islamic "leaders". What do you suppose the result would be?

And to address your initial comment; do you think the government of Sudan is the most extreme whacked-out example of Islam ??

• Members

Jerry Falwell has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Nobody needs Jerry Falwell's assistance to look at most of the terrorism and radicalism to see that there is something more than just a peculiar coincidence with a certain religion.

I was hoping that by using a comical person like Jerry as an example, it would be made obvious that I was exaggerating. Well, no matter.

• Members

If you didn't love Saddam, you
died.
A friend of my dad's originally was from Iraq, sent over on a government scholarship of some kind to study at the same university my dad was finishing his medical residency at. This would have been the very early 80's. When my dad met him, he was a hardcore Saddam fan - because he had never been exposed to anything else. Within a short time, he changed his views pretty radically and informed the Iraqi government agency responsible for his scholarship that he intended to stay in Canada even if it meant his scholarship would be forfeit. A year later, he took a trip home to Iraq to see some family, and had a two day layover in Rome before his next flight to Baghdad. Before he could catch his next flight, he was killed in his hotel room by agents operating for the Iraqi government. Just because he dissented. His kids barely knew their father. Do you think that his remaining family in Iraq would want to suddenly rise up against their oppressors?

It's not easy to just "resist".

I agree. It's not easy to resist, but many times it is necessary. The old adage of "If you keep doing what you been doing, you'll keep getting what you been getting" really applies here. nothing will change unless the people who live there resist. That is how this country and countless others in the civilized world were founded.

Nothing worth doing is easy. And the perception of a lot of the people in that part of the world, and yes...specifically of Islamic faith, is that they don't resist because they are complicit in what happens there. Either actively or silently. Until they stand up against the extremists and fanatics, they will be presumed to agree with them. Wrongly, in many cases, roghtly in many others, and there you have it.

• Members
If you are shown to be dissenting from what the extremists believe, you don't last very long. So, a large number of people who oppose these moronic practices are either silent for fear of their lives(and their families) or dead already. When extremists are everywhere and have lots of guns, bombs and corrupt clerics on their side, there's little chance that reasonable free-thinking people will make it into power.

This is why I support killing as many of them as we can find. It's their turn to live in fear. :idea:
C7

• Members
Lame, when I was at work that picture was blocked, so all I saw was "oh yeah eh?"... I missed out on a chance to continue the MTG thread hijack responses
:mad:

Royal Assassin would have capped a creature or two, but Wildfire has a way of clearing everything out of the way except heavy hitting beasts and the like. Actually, I just finished a MTG game with my friend....and cleaned him out with a Wildfire. Talk about mana starvation.

• Members

I always did like red decks. My main was actually red/black, with mister royal assassin as an integral part of my strategy. Green regen decks utterly killed me though.

Isn't there a new MTG online game in the making? I can't wait, if so!

• Members

I always did like red decks. My main was actually red/black, with mister royal assassin as an integral part of my strategy. Green regen decks utterly killed me though.

Isn't there a new MTG online game in the making? I can't wait, if so!

Yeah, I'm proving the power of red to my friends. It's not necessarily always about direct damage like some people think.

I ran it against a white deck full of knight cards and wrecked 'em. It doesn't stand up too well to Zombie decks though...Run a pestilence, trash everyone's creatures, Infernal Caretaker the crap out of your graveyard and bring back everything you lost in the last 10 turns. Eventually other decks run out of gas and then the zombie horde starts dropping 3/3s... 3 or 4 at a time.

I do have to get some assassin cards though. Use them like a sniper rifle to take out the cards causing you the most grief. I hear there's a new MTG thing in the works but mostly I want to try out the new Lorwyn stuff.

• Members

It is being reported in the news that there are those in the Sudanese government who want this elementary school teacher to be put to death for spewing hate. Besides, she's just a woman. :rolleyes:

To be put to death for condoning the naming a teddy bear mouhammit by school children.

C'mon. How can Falwell or Roberts be equated with these kinds of sentiments, barbarity and shariah (sp?) law?

Some of you go right ahead and remain unconscious. Keep drinking that Lake Ontario water bike. Sounds like it's doing you some good. ;)

Yeah, the German people hated the godless Hitler and likewise for the people who hated the godless Stalin. They too were all peaceful people.

• Members
It is being reported in the news that there are those in the Sudanese government who want this elementary school teacher to be put to death for spewing hate. Besides, she's just a woman.
:rolleyes:

To be put to death for condoning the naming a teddy bear mouhammit by school children.

C'mon. How can Falwell or Roberts be equated with these kinds of sentiments, barbarity and shariah (sp?) law?

Some of you go right ahead and remain unconscious. Keep drinking that Lake Ontario water bike. Sounds like it's doing you some good.
;)

Yeah, the German people hated the godless Hitler and likewise for the people who hated the godless Stalin. They too were all peaceful people.

Not that it makes this Sudanese business any less {censored}ing retarded, but Hitler wasn't godless and Stalin was pretty much seen as a god by his people

• Members

Not that it makes this Sudanese business any less {censored}ing retarded, but Hitler wasn't godless and Stalin was pretty much seen as a god by his people

Both Stalin and Hitler did not allow any religion but the state. The state was the religion and there were many synagogues and churches destroyed during their rule. For the most part, their people supported them and their actions.

• Moderators
Both Stalin and Hitler did not allow any religion but the state. The state was the religion and there were many synagogues and churches destroyed during their rule. For the most part, their people supported them and their actions.

Correct. Interestingly enough about Hitler, he invoked religion and used the word "Savior" in the 1920s. Once he had control over the state, he did a 180 and considered Christianity to be a sign of weakness in his speeches.

• CMS Author

I agree. It's not
easy
to resist, but many times it is necessary. The old adage of "If you keep doing what you been doing, you'll keep getting what you been getting" really applies here.
nothing
will change unless the people who live there resist. That is how this country and countless others in the civilized world were founded.

Nothing worth doing is easy. And the perception of a lot of the people in that part of the world, and yes...specifically of Islamic faith, is that they don't resist because they are complicit in what happens there. Either actively or silently. Until they stand up against the extremists and fanatics, they will be presumed to agree with them. Wrongly, in many cases, roghtly in many others, and there you have it.

Exactly. And yes, it's *very* easy for us to sit here and discuss this, very hard to be in the position of the people over there. Which is why I never forget the sacrifices of others for my freedom, even if it inevitably results in being accused of jingoism for expressing it.

• Members

Exactly. And yes, it's *very* easy for us to sit here and discuss this, very hard to be in the position of the people over there. Which is why I never forget the sacrifices of others for my freedom, even if it inevitably results in being accused of jingoism for expressing it.

Couldn't agree more. They are in a tough spot. but they are really the only ones who can change it. If they want to bad enough they will. If they don't, they won't, and are complicit.

• Members

I think you make a good point here, hawky. Whenever radical Islam (or Islamism as the new term goes) is criticized, people inevitable pop up and try to compare it with Christian extremists in the west. I think the late Falwell and Roberts are douchebags, but there is no valid comparison. One can only set up a weak straw man argument by trying to draw a direct, proportional parallel between Islamism and extremist Christianity in today's world.

I would hope most people know that the majority of Muslims aren't whackjobs. Still, we need to recognize the relatively high frequency of extremism within modern Islamic culture and do so with a clear head. Baseless, kneejerk accusations of ignorance and bigotry don't do anyone any good. Extremism is a feature of the contemporary Muslim world, like it or not. What we need to do is decide how to respond to it.

Here's a recent headline: "Calls in Sudan for execution of Briton"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_re_af/sudan_british_teacher

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

This is the kind of thing that worries me. A couple of whackjobs is understandable, but thousands of protesters demanding the teacher's execution?

Remember that Pakastani who tried to burn down the offices of a German newspaper that printed the Muhammed cartoon a few years back? He was caught and put in jail, where he hung himself. When they had his funeral back in Pakistan, an estimated 50,000 people showed up at his father's house, calling him a 'martyr.'

Imagine someone in the United States was shot by police while trying to murder an doctor who performed abortions? How many mourners would show up at his funeral, declaring him a martyr? I don't think that's a straw man argument in the least.

I believe people can have very legitimate criticisms of Islam, Islamism, and the state of the Muslim world today. We just need more civil discourse and less "nuke the middle east!" cries on one side and "Ignorance and bigotry!" cries on the other.

Archived