Genz fans won't like this rant.

james on bass

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
i just don't have much fun going into music stores anymore , I almost always know what I want before I get there and to deal with these Bob Sagets who have their agenda drives me nuts .

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GenzBenz-Shuttle-600-Watt-Lightweight-Bass-Amp?sku=482110

Same here. Except I don't really care much at all for MF. They {censored} up pretty much every time I have ordered from them. I prefer www.americanmusical.com

• Members
Same here. Except I don't really care much at all for MF. They {censored} up pretty much every time I have ordered from them. I prefer
www.americanmusical.com

really , I have not yet had problems , but I do like pretty much all of the big online retailers , if one doesn't have it the other one will and they are pretty competitive against each other , so you can almost always find a little better price .

• Members
I really couldn't believe my ears today.

Due to re-occurring back injury, come hell or high water, I'm gonna put a micro rig together.

I call my local dealer this morning. I've been going there for over 20 years, and dealing with the same guy for most of those years. He's no longer employed there I find out.

I played a GBE1200 there a couple months ago and loved it. I ask whether or not they have a shuttle 6.0 in stock. This is what I get for a response.

- No.

-
are you going to get one in?

- No.

-okay. Why not?

-We don't like it and won't be stocking anymore GB bass gear. We've had a couple amps and they have no headroom at all. A 200W Yorkie had more power than the GBE1200.

-You're not serious are you?

- Yeah, I think the guys at Genz rate their RMS ratings like Behringer. For amps that should be boutique and are expensive, they are pretty crappy. We like their guitar amps though.

-Um.okay. Thanks anyway.
Hang up phone.

WTSaget?

First off. What are they smoking that they would talk this way about a line they carry? Secondly, if a customer inquired about getting one, whether or not the salesman liked it, he/she should bring it in and make the sale.

I tracked down the other Genz dealer around here from GB's website and their answering machine gave their (limited) hours of operation. I called all day and they never picked up the phone.

:mad:

James has just learned the hard way...Don't buy your amps from Ed Roman. :(

• Members

Sounds like they lost their franchise and are now selling/pushing Yorkville...

Exactly what I was thinking. All the recent reviews I've read are great, including the reviews for the new Shuttle. I asked Dr. Bass himself about various amps and he said the Shuttle sounded great thru his cabs.

I think the store/salesman has a cross to bear concerning GB and perhaps worked out some deal with Yorkville. No company scores 100 percent perfection but GB's seem to have a very low rate of failure from everything I've read (which is a lot).

• Members

I don't like the fact that his old salesman isn't there anymore either. He may have been dumped because he has integrity. Sounds like the shop may be pushing cheap gear and moving away from high-end gear, kinda like a Walmart for music gear. If it's strictly a business decision I can understand, but spreading falsehoods about Benz makes them an untrustworthy bunch who should be avoided.
Nothing against Yorkville mind you, they make solid "mid-level" type gear. You just won't get the same fidelity as a GB, MBass, MBoogie, or GK. Yorkies are the Canadian Peavey, basically. I actually dig their PA gear.

• Members

I don't like the fact that his old salesman isn't there anymore either. He may have been dumped because he has integrity. Sounds like the shop may be pushing cheap gear and moving away from high-end gear, kinda like a Walmart for music gear. If it's strictly a business decision I can understand, but spreading falsehoods about Benz makes them an untrustworthy bunch who should be avoided.

Nothing against Yorkville mind you, they make solid "mid-level" type gear. You just won't get the same fidelity as a GB, MBass, MBoogie, or GK. Yorkies are the Canadian Peavey, basically. I actually dig their PA gear.

Yeah, it's a shame Pete left the business. The shop has always carried Yorkie / Traynor, and I like the brand just fine. I actually really like Yorkville cabs. They always seem to bring in nice gear every few years, but do nothing with it. They carried Spector for about a year. Brought in 1 Czech, then a bunch of the lowest end Spectors and wondered why they didn't sell. Then they brought in Warwick. 1 bolt on Streamer then a bunch of Rockbass.

When I heard a few months ago they carry Genz, I rushed down there. Couldn't see any gear anywhere. Found a GBE1200, not plugged in, buried under some boxes.

If you don't want to put the effort into carrying higher end gear, that's fine, but just because you can't or won't sell it, don't throw it down with really lame and untrue "facts".

I've been shopping there, and pretty much only there since 1984. I have a gift certificate from my birthday that is going to be a chore to go in and spend. Might go get my nephew some guitar strings and be done with the place.

• Members
First off. What are they smoking that they would talk this way about a line they carry? Secondly, if a customer inquired about getting one, whether or not the salesman liked it, he/she should bring it in and make the sale.

I tracked down the other Genz dealer around here from GB's website and their answering machine gave their (limited) hours of operation. I called all day and they never picked up the phone.

:mad:

It's not cool, but I can relate to this. They have been burned enough by problematic amps that they don't want it in their store, they lose money on service issues, returns, :blah:. To them the lost sale, or more specifically the attempt to redirect a sale is born from their desire to stand behind what they sell and they feel they can't do that with GB.

NOT dissing GB but.... I've talked with some engineers about the headroom thing and they say that this is typical of most of the lightweight amps. Something about amp Class types, and what can do what and limitations that occur when you go lightweight. :blah:

On other words, some brands haven't developed any yet, and it's not because they can't, its because they choose not too. Yorkville being one of those.

As for the other dealer? Club Bass? Sounds like them for sure.

• Members
NOT dissing GB but.... I've talked with some engineers about the headroom thing and they say that this is typical of most of the lightweight amps.

A GBE-1200 is considered a lightweight amp? :confused::eek:

• Members
If you ever get a Genz Benz, or know someone who already has one, you should go in to that shop with it. Say you're thinking about a new amp, and want to do a side by side comparison. Tell them all about that phone call too. That'd be some good fun
:D

Oh, I would SO do this. Hell, I'd put my LMII against any of his Behringer or Yorkies.

• Members

Oh, I would SO do this. Hell, I'd put my LMII against any of his Behringer or Yorkies.

Show up at Bassplayer's house and we can A/B your Markbass LMII vs my Behringer B4500H head through my Dr. Bass cabs! I expect the LMII to win but I also expect to raise some eyebrows with the Behringer, if it doesn't blow up and burn his house down that is.... RUN!!!!

• Members

I think the loosing their franchise comment is right at home.

What's up with your back James?

Fully understand the body letting you down... I'm going in for surgery Friday myself.

Herniated L4/L5 disc. Happened about 5 years ago. I've lived with occassional pain/discomfort/stiffness since the initial injury, but not this intense pain.

• Members

Arthritis for me. I've got issues in the L-5, S-1 area. I've a degenerative Spinal arthritis, and degenerative disk diease. Surgery on my Knee Friday to clean up the arthritis in it.

Hope it gets to feeling better for you. If you find that nice lightweight rig, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
It's not cool, but I can relate to this. They have been burned enough by problematic amps that they don't want it in their store, they lose money on service issues, returns,
:blah:
. To them the lost sale, or more specifically the attempt to redirect a sale is born from their desire to stand behind what they sell and they feel they can't do that with GB.

NOT dissing GB but.... I've talked with some engineers about the headroom thing and they say that this is typical of most of the lightweight amps. Something about amp Class types, and what can do what and limitations that occur when you go lightweight.
:blah:

On other words, some brands haven't developed any yet, and it's not because they can't, its because they choose not too. Yorkville being one of those.

As for the other dealer? Club Bass? Sounds like them for sure.

I hope I don't come off being too defensive but:
* We rate our watts the same on a D class as on a linear amp. Our Shuttle 6.0 is actually putting out more than 600 watts.
* Many companies that "choose" not too.....simply can't. Seriously. There are several brands out there that "show" D class amps but can't get them to market. Please note, I'm not speaking of Yorkville here. I have no way of knowing what they can but won't, can't ...choose not to bring to market.

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

+1 on talking to the manager.

If the place is close, I'd go find the salesman and A/B any GB or anything else they have against the Yorkville and call BobSaget on him. Then tell the story to the manager. Then buy somethng somewhere else.

BETTER IDEA: Buy the GB somewhere else, then take it in for the A/B and rochambeau him.

Archived