Atheist playing in a Contemporary Christian band...

James Hart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why? As long as your position was known, how would you be doing them a disservice?

Yup

I wont talk to them about Constantine/ Council Of Necea if they don't preach to me personally about Jesus...... The "messages" in the songs are irrelevent. I would go into this knowing what Im getting into. Conversely, they will know exactly where I stand

To Christians:

So, you can understand the agnostic/athiest POV and why this thread is an issue: A good bulk of us look at any religion as being a "cult", more-or-less.....A lot of us are abhorred by the way world events - particularly ones that cost lives - are done in the name of a god or what we feel are "human nature" Voltaire-ish superstitious beliefs. For a lot of us, it makes about as much sense as doing something in the name of the Easter Bunny

I am not posting to start a war here -- For those of you that know me, I usually steer clear of religious debates on the forum.....I just thought I would post this so you can understand a popular athiest/agnostic frame of mind and why this thread may be an issue

• Members
Maybe God is knocking and you ain't answering? Be careful, being around people who believe in Truth and Goodness, it might just rub off on you.............what a damn shame!!!!

If you don't "believe", who the hell cares what they think anyway.

God bless, Natty.

:facepalm: Natty, you have know idea how badly those kinda remarks reflect on 'Christians' in the eyes of non-christians.

Truth and Goodness... I do believe in Truth and Goodness... let me tell you it ain't got a single thing to do with any god... be it Thor, Jesus or the Tooth fairy :thu:

• Members

I am not posting to start a war here -- For those of you that know me, I usually steer clear of religious debates on the forum.....I just thought I would post this so you can understand a popular athiest/agnostic frame of mind and why this thread may be an issue

And, seeing how you and Mr. Hart have the same viewpoint when it comes to this stuff, I'd think that your opinion would carry a lot of weight.

• Members

What disservice? By that statement you are expressing some type of awareness of.........................morality???? Oh, {censored}!!!!!!!

Here's where you are taking things out of context.

What I meant was: Were I to play Xtian songs without believing, I think it would be hypocritical and rude to those who do believe.

So you can take your pious, bull{censored} attitude away now because you misread my entire point.

If you are not religious, then your attitude should be, "I'll do whatever the {censored} I want to do............including playing for a Christian group when I don't believe, because it DOESN'T {censored}ING MATTER!!!"

You're the bigger ass for not caring about others in this equation, Sally. It may not matter to YOU to play Xtian songs when you don't believe, but it may matter to those who do.

Hypocrite.

:facepalm: Fool.

• Members

Why? As long as your position was known, how would you be doing them a disservice?

I suppose if you lay it down it wouldn't be so bad. It's not like they'd bill the band as "4 saveds and 1 sinner"

But it is definitely something that should be made known up-front. Not 15 gigs down the road when the "Why didn't you say something" conversation comes up. hehe

• Members

Who cares? If your ok with it, and they are as well. go jam with them. I play with a couple groups of guys ranging from hardcore athiest, to hardcore Jehovahs Witness, to raging alcoholics who could care less either way. My personal religious beliefs NEVER become a factor when choosing friends or people I play with.

Would be kinda like not taking a job because they employed people of different beliefs...

Do it and have fun with it!

• Moderators

Yup

I wont talk to them about Constantine/ Council Of Necea if they don't preach to me personally about Jesus...... The "messages" in the songs are irrelevent. I would go into this knowing what Im getting into. Conversely, they will know exactly where I stand

To Christians:

So, you can understand the agnostic/athiest POV and why this thread is an issue: A good bulk of us look at
any
religion as being a "cult", more-or-less.....A lot of us are abhorred by the way world events - particularly ones that cost lives - are done in the name of a god or what we feel are "human nature" Voltaire-ish superstitious beliefs. For a lot of us, it makes about as much sense as doing something in the name of the Easter Bunny

I have to ask. What do you mean by "Voltaire-ish superstitious beliefs"?

• Members

I have to ask. What do you mean by "Voltaire-ish superstitious beliefs"?

Voltaire, although a devout Christian, was very much into the nature of humanity. He believed that reason should be ascertained first before belief/faith....One of his most famous observations was "If there isn't a God, it is the nature of man to create one"

• Members
Voltaire, although a devout Christian, was very much into the nature of humanity. He believed more in
reason
first before
belief/faith
....One of his most famous observations was "If there isn't a God, it is the nature of man to create one"

Aaaaand the thread takes a predictable turn. :D

• Members

Aaaaand the thread takes a predictable turn.
:D

You are correct -- I will back out now

I respect anybody's beliefs, regardless of what I may think of them. If any of you have ever noticed, I never "hat' religious figures...... I usually avoid these threads

My apologies to the forum...Its not in my nature to participate in religious debates.........

• Members

You are correct -- I will back out now

I respect anybody's beliefs, regardless of what I may think of them. If any of you have ever noticed, I never "hat' religious figures...... I usually avoid these threads

My apologies to the forum...Its not in
my
nature to participate in religious debates.........

There's nothing wrong with exchanging ideas, as long as it remains civil. I actually like hearing the perspectives of others, I think that it keeps one's world from becoming too small if you know what I mean. I also like my thinking to be challenged. So you and I don't agree in this area, big deal. We don't follow the same baseball teams either. BTW, it seems like Zito's finally starting to come around. :thu:

• Members

Here's my two cents:

If they're cool guys, and you connect and have a lot in common, go for it. Sharing beliefs and respecting beliefs shouldn't be limited only to each other.

Having said that, I think you have some things stacked against the situation, mainly the church thing. I've filled in for a friend's worship team at an AG church (I'm Catholic) and it creeped the hell out of me. Plus you're going to get harassed eventually. Guaranteed. It's gonna come out sometime, somewhere, and you're gonna get approached. Especially if you do it at one of the member's own congregations. And it's gonna be one of those "Have you accepted Jesus :blah:" speeches.

If that happens, I would just roll with it. Christianity is a religion that was founded on persecution, and some Christians just seem to look for a way to feel prejudged, even if they're the ones doing it. Nod, smile, and walk away.

Archived