Atheist playing in a Contemporary Christian band...

James Hart

• Members

So... I'm not sure if I'll take the gig or not :facepalm:

They tagged themselves a Classic Rock band... seem like good guys, but it turns out that most of the gigs will be Church related and themed.

If you consider yourself to be a Secular Humanist* and a firm NON believer... would you consider the gig?

Secular: of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations. Pertaining to this present world or to things not spiritual or sacred or religious.

Humanism: System of philosophy based upon human reason, actions, and motives without concern of deity or supernatural phenomena. Belief in a human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it totally depends on the inter-personal relationships. I've been in bands with folks that have totally different religious views than me and it worked out pretty well...as well as any band that is destined to crash and burn can, anyway. Then again, I've been in churchy band situations even as a believer that made me so uncomfortable I wanted to freak out.

• Members

additional thoughts...

1.) I was raised within the church and studied to become part of the ministry for a brief couple years.

2.) I have a strong sense of Tolerance and the ability to respect other's opinions & beliefs.

I understand the church stuff will get old, but they exist mainly to get together and have fun playing classic rock... they just happen to play a few church functions rather than the bar scene. I'm not looking for a job, just thought the classic rock jam might be fun. The church stuff was brought up after the lines of communication started.

• Members

EDIT: Well, if the music's still classic rock and they're just playing church gigs, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

:idk:

We were booked for a church function this fall until it turned out to be a bad weekend for us.

• Moderators
additional thoughts...

1.) I was raised within the church and studied to become part of the ministry for a brief couple years.

2.) I have a strong sense of Tolerance and the ability to respect other's opinions & beliefs.

I understand the church stuff will get old, but they exist mainly to get together and have fun playing classic rock... they just happen to play a few church functions rather than the bar scene. I'm not looking for a job, just thought the classic rock jam might be fun. The church stuff was brought up after the lines of communication started.

If it's only a couple of times and mostly for kicks and giggles, then it's possible. Anything more serious than that and I think it would grow old quickly.

• Members

As long as you know upfront, and for whatever reason they're ok with it, then y'all should be ok.

It was real bad in the last 2-3 years about churches just hiring random musicians off the street and outta bars for their services (not directed at ALL towards you James), or so I'd hear. I believe they're a little bit better with their screenings nowadays. It didn't work out all too well...

But I'm kinda guilty of this myself. I do the bar/gig scene, go out a lot, drink, don't exactly lead "The" christian lifestyle and people know it, and I still get to play, so who knows.

It's sad to say as my dad's an Elder and SS teacher that I'm so jaded and "meh" about this stuff anymore... I believe in God and Christ, but, I hate saying it but I could care less about church anymore.

• Members

I am at best an optimistic agnostic.

I have been playing for the contemporary service at a Presbyterian Church for going on 3 years now.

Whatever else may be of concerne, God pays well.

I feel bad about it, but I wish our church gave us a little something...

• Moderators
It's sad to say as my dad's an Elder and SS teacher that I'm so jaded and "meh" about this stuff anymore... I believe in God and Christ, but, I hate saying it but I could care less about church anymore.

Just remember "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) It doesn't say you won't be jaded. It doesn't say you won't forget about it. It says when you are old, you will remember what your Mom and Dad taught you. What you are feeling is very typical of people your age who have been raised in church, RSB.

• Members

Yeah you should be fine if they are cool with your beliefs. I would do it if it seems like a cool gig, and they are all decent musicians (not like I could even lump myself into the last statement :()

But I'm kinda guilty of this myself. I do the bar/gig scene, go out a lot, drink, don't exactly lead "The" christian lifestyle and people know it, and I still get to play, so who knows.

I feel ya. I am in the same boat.

• Moderators

So... I'm not sure if I'll take the gig or not
:facepalm:

They tagged themselves a Classic Rock band... seem like good guys, but it turns out that most of the gigs will be Church related and themed.

If you consider yourself to be a Secular Humanist
and a firm NON believer... would you consider the gig?

Secular: of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations. Pertaining to this present world or to things not spiritual or sacred or religious.

Humanism: System of philosophy based upon human reason, actions, and motives without concern of deity or supernatural phenomena. Belief in a human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority.

I'd consider it, but I'd probably not take it. It would depend on how much fun I had playing with them.

• Members

It would depend on how much fun I had playing with them.

that is where I'm at right now. I said ok with the audition. It's all classic rock stuff... which can be mind numbing as well.

Here is what I'm auditioning with:

Green River

Take It Easy

Heartache Tonight

Who'll Stop the Rain

Have You Seen the Rain

Don't Stop

Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Let Your Love Flow

Sweet Home Alabama

Teach Your Children

Turn Turn Turn

This Magic Moment

A Hard Days Night

The Weight

It Don't Come Easy

Drift Away

Sister Golden Hair

We'll see how it goes ;)

• Members

As long as everyone is cool with eachother, do it. If you have a problem with it, don't do it. If they have a problem with you, don't do it, and they shouldn't have you in the band.

Sounds like a potentially fun situation, as long as everyone keeps a focus on what is at hand: playing music.

• Members

Just remember "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) It doesn't say you won't be jaded. It doesn't say you won't forget about it. It says when you are old, you will remember what your Mom and Dad taught you. What you are feeling is very typical of people your age who have been raised in church, RSB.

Yeah I know... I don't feel like all hope is lost. I know awesome parents who have way worse kids than me that grew up in the same environment and even the same church... I just feel like I let 'em down at times, but oh well. All I can do for right now. :( Just keep going when I'm in town.

• Members

Don't be suprised if the other guys in the band tell you of their faith.

It is the nature of Christianity to tell people of the good news.

The good news being that Jesus Christ came to this earth to die for the sins of mankind, and offers the gift of eternal life to you, me and everyone else too.

See...:poke:

• Members

I'm a Christian, but I get just a little creeped out by some of these bands. Maybe it's the north Jersey kid in me coming out, but too many seem just a little too cheery for me.

Craigv-

Little OT, but do you remember that thread from a few weeks ago that showed government spending, per department, etc..?

Was it the alternative energy one?

Archived