Atheist playing in a Contemporary Christian band...

James Hart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The question is: Will it pay?

I'm a staunch atheist myself, but if I'm being paid to do a job, I'll do it and keep my beliefs to myself. (Within reason)

I do a bunch of A/V work for a local church. As long as no one's up in my face with the Jesus love, I'm fine.

• CMS Author

The question is: Will it pay?

I'm a staunch atheist myself, but if I'm being paid to do a job, I'll do it and keep my beliefs to myself. (Within reason)

I do a bunch of A/V work for a local church. As long as no one's up in my face with the Jesus love, I'm fine.

And that's part of the creepiness...I don't care about what faith, or lack thereof, my bandmembers have. But these gigs it's almost, or absolutely is, requisite for them to "spread The Word". So there's no avoiding it. If you can put up with it, more power to you. Me; I just can't deal. My faith is private, and doesn't need a marketing campaign.

• Members

And that's part of the creepiness...I don't care about what faith, or lack thereof, my bandmembers have. But these gigs it's almost, or absolutely is, requisite for them to "spread The Word". So there's no avoiding it. If you can put up with it, more power to you. Me; I just can't deal. My faith is private, and doesn't need a marketing campaign.

And that's probably the difference between playing in a christian band and doing what I do. I get to sit behind the board and mix or edit video at home. I don't often have to interface with staff or members. I imagine it would be a lot less tolerable if I actually had to do the whole song-and-dance that goes with being in a christian band.

• Members
So... I'm not sure if I'll take the gig or not
:facepalm:

They tagged themselves a Classic Rock band... seem like good guys, but it turns out that most of the gigs will be Church related and themed.

If you consider yourself to be a Secular Humanist
and a firm NON believer... would you consider the gig?

Secular: of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations. Pertaining to this present world or to things not spiritual or sacred or religious.

Humanism: System of philosophy based upon human reason, actions, and motives without concern of deity or supernatural phenomena. Belief in a human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority.

I think the REAL question here is, "Are you going to use the 6 string or the 7 string?"

• Members

I would go nuts having to constantly sit through sermons or prayers or etc. I really hate being surrounded by a bunch of religious people when they're practicing said religion. I would not feel comfortable acting the part, either, so I wouldn't make an effort to blend in.

It would grind on me real quick... But you sound more tolerant than I am. Personally, would I? It would really depend. If say, Project 86 needed a bassist, hell yeah! Other than that, ehhhh....

• Members
I think the REAL question here is, "Are you going to use the 6 string or the 7 string?"

:thu:

Definitely a fretless 6 type gig!

They are old and might not notice the extra strings... it does look like a P bass if'n you ain't paying attention ;)

The 7 might be too much for them to handle.

• Members

i'm not real religious at all (still trying to figure things out) however i find one of my favorite all time songs to be "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison, my point is if you dig the music and would enjoy playing with them it's just another fun gig to you.. Just like baptism, it either provides rebirth as a Christian or is just a little water on the head depending on where you are coming from

• Members

They tagged themselves a Classic Rock band... seem like good guys, but it turns out that most of the gigs will be Church related and themed.

Secular: of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations. Pertaining to this present world or to things not spiritual or sacred or religious.

Humanism: System of philosophy based upon human reason, actions, and motives without concern of deity or supernatural phenomena. Belief in a human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority.

I say join as long as you feel ok with it. I wouln't stay with them if they proselytized me all the time though. It gets OLD, fast.

• Members

I'm going through a very similar situation. I'm kinda like Rowka, an "optimistic agnostic". Some old buddies called me up a few weeks ago to start practicing, no commitments needed. Now this isn't classic rock, but real, intense, in-you-face Jesus music. The chord progressions are cliche and cheesy and the songs are all in G, D, or E major. So I've had 3 practices with them and I think we have a few gigs coming up in August, then I'm going to bail. They said we would evaluate everyone's level of commitment at the end of the summer and I'm pretty sure I can't do this gig. Plus they can't practice on the weekends, only on thursday nights and, oh, did I mention? I have to get up at 4:30am during the workweek :facepalm:

• Moderators
that is where I'm at right now. I said ok with the audition. It's all classic rock stuff... which can be mind numbing as well.

Here is what I'm auditioning with:

Green River

Take It Easy

Heartache Tonight

Who'll Stop the Rain

Have You Seen the Rain

Don't Stop

Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Let Your Love Flow

Sweet Home Alabama

Teach Your Children

Turn Turn Turn

This Magic Moment

A Hard Days Night

The Weight

It Don't Come Easy

Drift Away

Sister Golden Hair

We'll see how it goes
;)

What? No "Jesus is Just All Right With Me"?

• Members

Having studied the origins and history of modern Christianity, I am an agnostic ( I am athiest for all practical purposes)...

To quote one of their Biblical passages:

"If an unbeliever invites you to his house and you wish to go, eat whatever is set before you, raising no question on the grounds of conscience."

Thats 1 Corinthians 10:27

Well, I never said the bible didnt have anything of value: This is good ideal and works both ways.......... Have fun with it :thu:

• Members

Maybe God is knocking and you ain't answering? Be careful, being around people who believe in Truth and Goodness, it might just rub off on you.............what a damn shame!!!!

If you don't "believe", who the hell cares what they think anyway.

God bless, Natty.

• Members

Having studied the origins and history of modern Christianity, I am an agnostic ( I am athiest for all practical purposes)...

To quote one of their Biblical passages:

"If an unbeliever invites you to his house and you wish to go, eat whatever is set before you, raising no question on the grounds of conscience."

Thats 1 Corinthians 10:27

Well, I never said the bible didnt have anything of value: This is good ideal and works both ways.......... Have fun with it
:thu:

The verse refers to a new freedom to eat whatever food they darn well felt like eating instead of getting caught up in the old clean vs unclean debate. Sorry to nitpick.

As a Christian, I play with quite a few non-Christians. In fact, all of the stuff that I do outside of church is pretty much all in a non-Christian environment. As long as your chips are on the table and it's a good playing sitch for you, why the heck wouldn't you take it?

• Members

I couldn't do it. I'd be living a lie and doing them a disservice.

What disservice? By that statement you are expressing some type of awareness of.........................morality???? Oh, {censored}!!!!!!! If you are not religious, then your attitude should be, "I'll do whatever the {censored} I want to do............including playing for a Christian group when I don't believe, because it DOESN'T {censored}ING MATTER!!!"

Hypocrite.

Archived