Consumer Law involving Sale of Stolen Goods, anyone?

Phantasm

• Members
dude,

f' that. they should be kissing your ass.maybe you should stand by the door and inform every customer that comes in of the situation? or better yet -
wait untill each salesman is with a prospective buyer and just casually tap them on the shoulder and say " excuse me but, do you have any MORE stolen instruments i could buy?
"

:poke:

Guttermouth FTW! :thu:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hopefully greenshag PM'd some great advice here. IIRC he either managed/worked for GC corporate or still does.

Greenshag did indeed, he pointed me to the same person in GC corporate that ultimately took care of the incident for me.

I finally did get my refund at Guitar Center Baton Rouge. It took longer than it should have and I didn't feel that I was treated with respect by most members of the staff.

I paid for new strings, repairs on the bass, and an investement of my time and resources. I was charged interest on my credit card due to the length of time it took for Guitar Center to issue my refund. I was questioned by police officers and background checks were run on myself and my friends. I was not compensated for any of these things.

The "Deal" that the assistant manager offered me was to show me some other basses to see if there was one I wanted to buy. I don't consider that a deal, it was more like he was trying to get me to buy something new so the profit would cover his shrink on the return. To credit the store, the store manager did talk about a discount but it sounded like it would be around 15%. In the New Orleans store, I can usually get 10-15% just by asking for it, so I don't consider the offer a very "good deal."

I did contact a Lawyer but I chose not to use her even though she felt that we had a good case. I was contacted by a television reporter asking if I wanted to do a news spot feature that would have been titled "Guitar Center Sells Man Stolen Guitar." I declined to do these things to try to be a respectful person and try to settle things fairly and honestly with courtesy. In the end, I feel that I was NOT treated with respect. While I was waiting for my refund, I was sitting in the bass amp section where I was not visible and I could hear employees talking about me openly in a very non-flattering manner.

But, I got my credit. :thu:

• Moderators

It remains odd to me that getting a store credit for having been sold stolen mechandise somehow makes you the bad guy. The store should have bent over backwards to make up for their gaffe. In the end, you've now gotten your credit and seen the epitome of good and bad service both 'related' to this same incident. :thu:

• Members
It remains odd to me that getting a store credit for having been sold stolen mechandise somehow makes you the bad guy. The store should have bent over backwards to make up for their gaffe. In the end, you've now gotten your credit and seen the epitome of good and bad service both 'related' to this same incident.
:thu:

+1
f&^% guitar center. phantasm, you're a better man than i. would have had to get crazy in there......

• Members
dude,

f' that. they should be kissing your ass.maybe you should stand by the door and inform every customer that comes in of the situation? or better yet - wait untill each salesman is with a prospective buyer and just casually tap them on the shoulder and say " excuse me but, do you have any MORE stolen instruments i could buy?"

:poke:

Now that's sig material!:lol:

• Members
Now that's sig material!
:lol:

hahahahaha. thanks man.
really though, if a store sold me a stolen bass and gave me anything other than a full refund and a thorough ass-kissing their managers breath would be smelling like my shoe polish from now on....
this whole affair really speaks to phantasm's character. i'm impressed :thu:

• Members

Thanks Ian. You, Patrick, and many others in this thread have been a good ear to listen to me complain about all this stuff.

I'm sorry, but as I read it, it's the end of the line, and you still got screwed. Sure, I'll give ya a high-five for not winding up with additional non-impressive entries into your police record. AND, you probably kept your kool far better than I would. But to me, you still got screwed, you still got {censored}ed by GC, you still got used and abused by the police, and you are out a lot.

I know you feel at least a bit vindicated. I can't see it.

Maybe a summary recap would change my position.

But still, to me, you still got hosed.

• Members

I know you feel at least a bit vindicated. I can't see it.

Maybe a summary recap would change my position.

But still, to me, you still got hosed.

Something did happen that I'm not including, but I want to make it clear that Guitar Center had NOTHING to do with it. A third party stepped up and sent me some good karma. Guitar Center just begrudgingly gave me back the $817 I paid for stolen goods.

Guitar Center could learn a lot about customer service from this third party. What is the most impressive is that I was asked NOT to share the details of what an amazing thing this company did for me. They did it because they could, asking nothing in return.

• Members
Something did happen that I'm not including, but I want to make it clear that Guitar Center had NOTHING to do with it. A third party stepped up and sent me some good karma. Guitar Center just begrudgingly gave me back the $817 I paid for stolen goods.

Guitar Center could learn a lot about customer service from this third party. What is the most impressive is that I was asked NOT to share the details of what an amazing thing this company did for me. They did it because they could, asking nothing in return.

Unfortunately, retail doesn't do much to retain the best and brightest, so many/most line-level store or department managers have no clue about relationship building.

I'm glad to hear about the good karma, though...

:cool:

• Members

will there be a point that you will be able to share?

• Moderators

I'm glad you had something good happen to come your way, even if it was from a 3rd party. I can't believe you were sitting in there at the GC and the employees were talking about you. You handled it better than I ever would have. Cheers.:)

• Members

will there be a point that you will be able to share?

+1 Even in a private PM. I am pretty sure I figured out what the other company did, so absolutely understand why they want it kept on the down low. I am more curious who it was that did what I suspect they did, so I can think just that little bit higher about whoever it was for doing it.

• Members

+1 Even in a private PM. I am pretty sure I figured out what the other company did, so absolutely understand why they want it kept on the down low. I am more curious who it was that did what I suspect they did, so I can think just that little bit higher about whoever it was for doing it.

+1

• Members

I'd like to say that I have been contacted by a forum member who works for Guitar Center and he has very generously offered a gift card to compensate for the extra expenses I had as a result of the original sale. I consider that a very nice gesture and it's appreciated.

If I think about the whole experience, I can isolate the problem to the Baton Rogue Guitar Center store, specifically the assistant manager that I dealt with on two occassions and some of the sales staff.

When I spoke to the store manager, Joe, on the phone, he was always very polite and he did step up and obtain items directly from the police department that the assistant manager wanted me to obtain myself. Joe was on vacation when this all started and that's why I had to deal directly with the assistant manager.

I also got great service from Ryan Carr in Guitar Center corporate, he was really the person that applied pressure from above to make good on the transaction. At every point of the process, Ryan did say that while legally Guitar Center was possibly not responsible he felt that ethically they were definitely responsible to make the sale good. It took a while to get things done and he wanted to allow the store to handle it themselves, but when the assistant manager failed me, Ryan stepped in.

And now that we've said all that... I'd like to add that the lawyer I consulted was very attractive. I may have to post a picture later for everyone who's stuck with the thread this long!

Archived