Are Fender Basses generally looked down upon?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
I love my fenders, they are better than an early 80's schecter

Im sure YOUR Fenders are probably better then EVERYBODY'S basses that are most likely better than YOUR basses, but you're a senior member, so in your all knowing experience and wisdom, I'll have to assume that YOUR Fender basses really are better than my early 80's Schecter...what the hell was I thinking?!?!:rolleyes:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Im sure YOUR Fenders are probably better then EVERYBODY'S basses that are most likely better than YOUR basses, but you're a senior member, so in your all knowing experience and wisdom, I'll have to assume that YOUR Fender basses really are better than my early 80's Shcecter...what the hell was I thinking?!?!
:rolleyes:

irony

• Members

It's funny that so many people give props to Lakland for making better Fenders than Fender but there were a few companies that did the same thing and get no respect for it. Opinions are opinions. The fact is that Schecter actually was making better Fenders than Fender at the time. Much like Lakland and Sadowski and those guys are today. Bring on the anger...

• Members
i look down on all my basses...usually cuz i play standing up.

dang, I wanted to say that line.

perhaps I'll put a headstock hanger higher up on the wall and then ...hang on I don't have a Fender. I have a G&L ...that means I can look down or up on half a Fender ;)

• Members

It's funny that so many people give props to Lakland for making better Fenders than Fender but there were a few companies that did the same thing and get no respect for it. Opinions are opinions. The fact is that Schecter actually was making better Fenders than Fender at the time. Much like Lakland and Sadowski and those guys are today. Bring on the anger...

I have to admit one of the best basses I've ever played was an 70-80's Tokai Precision copy. But i have never really liked laklands that much :poke: there must be something wrong with me:facepalm:

• Members

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE...or just try one. I can't afford a Lakland or American Fender, but I wont hate on 'em. I got really lucky when I scored my Schecter. Those Tokai's were really well made too. They still make really nice ones, that Ive seen anyway.

So if you can't afford a US Fender, how could you know that your fender copy is better? It seems by that post that all you are familiar with are the MIM & MIK? And I'm not speaking of playing one for an hour at GC, either.

As far as Lakland making a better Fender than Fender, I'd argue that they don't. I think within a similar price range the Fender's would more than hold their own in both playability and build quality. I think if you put a Fender CS bass up against a Lakland you'd probably have a draw and you'd be looking at which bass sounded better to you or which neck profile felt better.

Lakland (USA) are one of my favorite manufacturers. I don't care for their Skyline models...they just don't feel right to me, I'd much rather own a MIM, MIj, or MIA Fender than a Skyline. The only thing Lakland has on Fender is a bit more consistency in their necks and fretwork. Then again they don't put out near the Volume as Fender so you can't expect every Fender to be a gem. There are plenty of people who bash Fender based on playing them at GC. I've personally never played a dog that couldn't be fixed with a setup.

I don't think anyone makes a better Fender. Sadowsky doesn't sound anything like Fender, Lull doesn't either. There are companies who try but I don't ever get the same vibe or sound out of anything else. Now there are certainly companies who make better basses but Fender is Fender and they are still improving on their original designs and still putting out a product that people want.

Dan

• Members

That's sort of what I mean.....some new bassist has to have a MIA Fender bass......then comes here to complain because it hasn't made him a better player. While we see right through it, someone reading the user reviews may not understand the value of that opinion.

....on the other hand......you got someone who wants a Fender, but can't afford it.....buys a squier and hates it....thus is turned away from Fender forever. FOREVER!! :cry:

I'm a Fender man through and through.

• Members

That's sort of what I mean.....some new bassist has to have a MIA Fender bass......then comes here to complain because it hasn't made him a better player. While we see right through it, someone reading the user reviews may not understand the value of that opinion.

....on the other hand......you got someone who wants a Fender, but can't afford it.....buys a squier and hates it....thus is turned away from Fender forever. FOREVER!!
:cry:

I'm a Fender man through and through.

I embrace the quirks of every stringed instrument I've ever played for the last 25 years.

Sure - some are more "perfect" and better setup, but, all instruments resonate differently no matter the setup or workmanship...Being able to identify those quirks - it kind of makes you play a different way to find the strengths of that particular block of wood.

No two axes are the same - we just have to go deeper to find out the differences and embrace the strong points of that particular axe.

Saying all Lakland's are great, or all Fender's are great is just jive - I'll go further and say that this is a very limiting and peer pressure oriented point of view.

Stringed instruments are organic - open your ears and realize that no two instruments can ever be identical, regardless of QC or setup. (i'm not speaking to you in particular - just to the attitude that somehow a brand is somehow the be-all, end all)

• Members

I guess I could see what you mean, Dan. So everyone playing these things is doing so because they have Fender mojo with a totally different sound? You can absolutely say that there are differences in, say, various split coil pickups
but it's sound is inherent to it's design. Is that not something that will always be signature Fender?

• Members

I attended a music conference earlier today...big deal...several hundred people from all over the states were there...there was absolutely no limit on what equipment was available for the featured band...sky's the limit...

guess what mic the lead singer used....a wired sm58....costs about $85...

hmmmmmm.....:idea:

the bass was rockin a fenfer p and the lead rocked a tele...

really...these musicians are not limited by any financial considerations when choosing their instruments...so it's either gotta be a fashion statement or Fenders work pretty good...

• Members

I used to look down on the Mexi Fenders.

I got back into playing music about 10 years ago, after purging everything a few years earlier.
I got a smokin' deal on a Mexi Jazz... $200 I think, it's all I could afford, and the first thing I did when I got home was shave off the "Made in Mexico" logo on the headstock. Sold it about a year later to make room for my Geddy Lee Jazz, and then the whole gear obsession started again.
But damn, I now miss that neck, and the LPB finish on that Mexi.

There will always be well made competing brands, but Fenders will always be cool.

• Members

I always thought Fender basses were boring and a little "Redneck".

The difference, to me, is like the difference between a Ferrari F-355 and a '69 Chevelle SS 454.

The Ferrari will out perform the Chevelle, it is more refined and turns more heads... but it cannot replace the feeling, sound, smell and looks of American Muscle.

I love my Smith but rarely take it out at home. My favorite bass is my '90 Mexican Fender Jazz with American Vintage pickups. It has character and sounds amazing for Slap and Soloing.

Archived