Albums where the "band members" didn't actually play on

fretless

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was under the understanding that Glen Matlock played all the parts, even after he was fired. He was let go because they met Sid and he had a more punk image. He may have even been backstage during the Sid years, playing things live and he was unplugged.

From all the various sources I've read (interviews with Matlock, various documentaries, Lydon's autobiography) Steve Jones played the majority of bass on NMtB, Glen was hired back in to play a couple on a session basis.

Sid's playing IS actually in there, but mixed so low as to be completely inaudible, for the benefit of all concerned.

• Members

Let me guess, you supplied the in studio basslines?

No, to my knowledge the two original guys did their own work on bass.

The original guitarist, Mike Turner, is who I was referring too. I don't actually know if he is even aware, but he didn't play much if at all on album. He wrote all the parts, he laid them down in the studio, but it took a long time to get them right. The producer for all those sessions, Arnold Lanni, went back in and re-tracked everything after, playing the same parts, to clean it up amd make it tighter.

To quote Arnold on the subject... "Mike plays guitar like he's wearing hockey gloves." :facepalm:

• Members

Kiss on Destroyer. I heard that Ezrin replaced most of the tracks with ringers. Alice Cooper, Billion Dollar Babies. Ezrin again.

Bob Ezrin preferred Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on guitars. Dick Wagner was in the seminal Detroit band Frost and is terrific player. Those guys also played with Lou Reed at one point.

I think the Beach Boys didn't play too many of their tracks.

• Members

I was under the understanding that Glen Matlock played all the parts, even after he was fired. He was let go because they met Sid and he had a more punk image. He may have even been backstage during the Sid years, playing things live and he was unplugged.

i always thought that quite likely

• Members

You can count almost every country artist/band in probably the last 20 years to this list. I know David Hungate (Toto), Dave Pomeroy, & scores of other bassists have been doing recording sessions in Nashville for years.

Did Bob Daisley ever play live for Ozzy? I'm pretty sure he played on all Ozzy's albums.

• Members

Yes.

IIRC, Sarzo and Aldridge were brought in for the American leg of the tour.

Daisley played the US festival, and also toured in support of "Bark At the Moon"

Although if you buy the remastered version of his first two solo albums, they no longer feature the original rhythm section.

Shame on you Sharon, shame on you. :facepalm:

• Members

Bob Ezrin preferred Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on guitars. Dick Wagner was in the seminal Detroit band Frost and is terrific player. Those guys also played with Lou Reed at one point.

They are both featured on Lou Reed's live Rock And Roll Animal, a must have in live recording.

• Members

Although if you buy the remastered version of his first two solo albums, they no longer feature the original rhythm section.

Shame on you Sharon, shame on you.
:facepalm:

Yeah, that sucks big time.

I'll never give Ozzy another dime of my money.....:mad:

I wish I had seen that coming, because my cassettes are long gone and I'd like to have those albums on CD.

Apparently "Ultimate Sin" is out of print too, supposedly to counter a royalty claim made by Phil Soussain (the former bassist who wrote "Shot In The Dark").

• Members

I think the Beach Boys didn't play too many of their tracks.

that was pretty much the standard of the 50's, 60's and 70's where the so called artist didn't even play on their own albums.....I can see why with studio costs so high in those days, and the need to get it right the first time around.

• Members

"Don't Go Away Mad" has a cool bassline that's very reminiscent of "My Girl".

thats what I heard it was a piece of.

also theres a nice little lick in Same old Situation about halfway through that I am sure Sixx didnt play.

other than that there isnt much that stands out by MC.... I like them but you know

Archived