Albums where the "band members" didn't actually play on

fretless

• Members

The Offspring - Since Ron left Josh Freese has been playing drums for them in the studio with Adam Willard and now Pete Parada playing live.

Josh is the brother of Jason Freese who has been working in the studio and on the road with Green Day for the past few years doing Keys, horns and extra vocals. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Offspring - Since Ron left Josh Freese has been playing drums for them in the studio with Adam Willard and now Pete Parada playing live.

Josh is the brother of Jason Freese who has been working in the studio and on the road with Green Day for the past few years doing Keys, horns and extra vocals.
:)

Never heard of Jason before. But I've been a big fan of Josh's work for many years. I saw him playing with the Vandals, he killed. Probably one of the few drummers I can name because they got my attention.

• Members

No, to my knowledge the two original guys did their own work on bass.

I liked the guy who played on Naveed quite a bit.

Renfield, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Jag play all the bass on the first disc, while Bruce Gordon gets credit? (And if memory serves me right, a Juno)

• Members

I liked the guy who played on Naveed quite a bit.

Renfield, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Jag play all the bass on the first disc, while Bruce Gordon gets credit? (And if memory serves me right, a Juno)

Depending where you look you'll see different reports as to who played bass on the album. Some say Jag played on it, some say Franz, the original bassist played on it. And in fact both are correct, but neither has all the details.

There was a diffferent version of Dig recorded originally, and Franz played on it. When it came back, Jag heard it and freaked, he hated how it sounded and was able to have the Masters destroyed.

They went back into the studio with a different producer and by that time he had enough of Franz and his junkie ways. IIRC he stole their rehearsal PA to shoot up his arm while they were all in the studio tracking the new takes for the re-recording.

Jag naturally freaked, fired him and had anything Franz did erased, and banged off all teh bass playing himself in relative short order. The lines he played are basically what Franz already had working, but the performances themselves on the final version of Dig were in fact Jag's playing.

Bruce was brought in not long after and was considered a band member even before mixing wrapped up. He received full credit in album, and at Jag's insistence was paid, and treated accordingly from the moment he was hired. He has the 6X platinum album for Dig on his wall, just like the rest of us. :D

Nowadays with wiki and all that the secret is long out, but back then there was no mentioning Franz in public, Jag really wanted his name under rug swept. I know early on you could see Bruce wince a bit when people complimented his playing on the album, but he eventually got used to it. After shows, the talk was about his playing period, not specifically on album, and the guys got mad skillz on bass, so it shut people up but good.

• Members

Bob Ezrin preferred Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on guitars. Dick Wagner was in the seminal Detroit band Frost and is terrific player. Those guys also played with Lou Reed at one point.

I think the Beach Boys didn't play too many of their tracks.

Don't forget Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels "Detroit", Smokin' album, Ezrin again,

Archived