Albums where the "band members" didn't actually play on

fretless

• Members

seems like Rudy has seen a few of those , I don't mean to stir up rumors either with studio cats sitting in on classic recordings and not getting much credit for it ( Aerosmith) :p and many others ;) just the obvious ones .

[YOUTUBE]Lqb5EcU65IQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you saying Sarzo wasn't in on the recording sessions, or was a bass player for other recordings?

I thought Trujillo was hired before recording St.Anger?

didn't record on , ex. Coverdale fired all the musicians who recorded that album and hired the "super group" after it was recorded .

• Members

I tend to believe this but the recordings are pretty weak so it may be a rumor .
:cop:

I think it's more rumour than not. He may not have written every last line, and there is a case or two where a solid argument could be made for a specific song, but the whole lot? I don't think so.

• Members

I thought Trujillo was hired before recording St.Anger?

I might be wrong but I seem to remember hearing Bob Rock played bass on the album?

According to Dee Dee Ramone's autobiography he had no idea who played on one of their albums. I can't remember which but I think it was either Subterranean Jungle or Animal Boy.

• Members

Steve Jones played all the bass parts on The Sex Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks" album after original bass player Glen Matlock was fired. Sid Vicious never played one note on that album.

I was under the understanding that Glen Matlock played all the parts, even after he was fired. He was let go because they met Sid and he had a more punk image. He may have even been backstage during the Sid years, playing things live and he was unplugged.

• Members

I was under the understanding that Glen Matlock played all the parts, even after he was fired. He was let go because they met Sid and he had a more punk image. He may have even been backstage during the Sid years, playing things live and he was unplugged.

I believe this is the information given by Steve Jones himself in the liner notes to the Bollocks box set. Sid was actually a pretty good bass player until he started getting all {censored}ed up on smack. Even Johnny Rotten said the pistols were at their best in Sid's early days with the band. I really doubt Glen was backstage playing bass for Sid, that's probably just another one of those urban legends that surrounds the Sex Pistols.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to mention that Glen wasn't fired because they met Sid. Sid had known the band from the very beginning, and he and John were actually childhood friends.

• Members

"Yeah. It was all uphill. And he still couldn't play bass when he died, I mean, {censored}ing hell. Well, and everybody knows that, just listen to the Sex Pistols record that he was on, you know, you can tell it's Steve standing in for him. In fact I'm not sure if Sid was ever on the record, I think it was Steve who played bass."

-On a time when Sid Vicious asked Lemmy to teach him to play the bass.

• Members

I think it's more rumour than not. He may not have written every last line, and there is a case or two where a solid argument could be made for a specific song, but the whole lot? I don't think so.

I saw a behind the music or something where the recording engineer was in with Sixx when he came in to lay down the bass tracks and the engineer says to another guy in the room " Its like he doesnt know how to play the bass" or something along those lines.

Its funny because he supposedly wrote most of their stuff.

I think he also stole a guitar instead of a bass when he was a kid.....He didnt know the difference lol

That band is basicaly the voice and drums anyway.

I mean think about it for a minute...is there any guitar lead that is memorable? maybe a riff or two but thats it

there is outstanding bass line in anything either

• Members

Again, this was covered in a Behind the Music type program. Nikki talks about how he would record everything in the studio. Then one night he goes back for some reason and sees a studio bassist there basically redoing everything. He says that to this day he doesn't know which of the lines were his and which were done by the studio cat.

• Members
I saw a behind the music or something where the recording engineer was in with Sixx when he came in to lay down the bass tracks and the engineer says to another guy in the room " Its like he doesnt know how to play the bass" or something along those lines.

Its funny because he supposedly wrote most of their stuff.

I think we saw the same program.

Archived