NATO catches Pirates in act!...and lets them go.

lug

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really wish I had the time, money, and wherewithal to take a huge boat into the trading waters there.

Only instead of "cargo" I'd have a ship full of whipass special forces-types. Just sail back and forth getting "boarded" and smearing pirate ass.

Stupid bastards.

• Members

I really wish I had the time, money, and wherewithal to take a huge boat into the trading waters there.

Only instead of "cargo" I'd have a ship full of whipass special forces-types. Just sail back and forth getting "boarded" and smearing pirate ass.

Stupid bastards.

Really??? - I would've guessed you'd get all emo, and cry them downstream from you...:poke:

- georgestrings

• Members

I say we start feeding some we capture to bullsharks in tanks just big enough for the sharks and small enough so the pirates heads above water and you can hear their screams and send the videos back to the other pirates. Do that to every pirate that you capture and see how long this {censored} last.

• Members

I understand that there is a bit of masculine grandstanding going on here on the HCBF. But, the situation is a bit more nuanced than you're comments would indicate.

Check it!:

I. Somalia

A. Government

i. There is none.

B. Population

i. An unlimited supply of angry poor people. This is important. The

supply is virtually unlimited.

iii. Population has access to large amount of weapons.

C. Geography

i. The coastline of Somalia stretches adjacently to the gulf of Aden.

ii. It's a long ass coastline.

II. Pirates

A. They are poor.

B. They have guns.

C. They have a working business model. (It's less volatile than our stock

market)

III. History

A. We tried the 'military operations in Somalia' thing before.

B. We've tried even more recently our hand at "Nation Building." Didn't go

so well.

I would like to see the eradication of Somali pirates, and I think the Navy did a great job this past week. However, the effort it would take to stop pirates in the Gulf of Aden would be great, and I don't feel that it is in the best interest of our nation to put our armed forces on the front lines of the battle. They have enough obligations as it is.

I think that the pirates should set up a sort of toll booth and charge 2 - 5 million dollars per-passage. Maybe throw in an ancient riddle for a % off the toll.

Or, shipping companies could go around South Africa.

Or, we could stop buying {censored} from Saudi Arabia. (and stop shipping {censored} to East Africa)

Or, companies like Maersk could hire Blackwater to supply them with badasses to kill pirates.

Or, companies like Maersk could keep paying ransoms and pass the 'savings' on to us.

This may have belonged in the drunken post thread.

• Members

Can't wait for Obama's war on piratism.

Care to elaborate?

What do you envision this war to look like?

Do you think that someone else might be able to handle it better/differently?

Would your solution involve blowing the hell out of a massive group of people?

• Members

Given the way maritime law works, I can understand the problem.

That said, Given the problem, countries need to get around to changing maritime law to allow pirates to be easily prosecuted and they need to do it quickly.

I have hope in this change. I can believe in it!!

errrr. . .I hope so anyway.

And KK, you're right. When laws suck they need to be changed. I'd like to make the word "pirate" be legally equivalent to the word "terrorist", so we can do what we do best: smoke 'em if we got 'em. Lawyers jack around with words all day long, I'm sure someone with a nasty legal brain can write it up nicely.

• Members

And KK, you're right. When laws suck they need to be changed. I'd like to make the word "pirate" be legally equivalent to the word "terrorist", so we can do what we do best: smoke 'em if we got 'em. Lawyers jack around with words all day long, I'm sure someone with a nasty legal brain can write it up nicely.

'Cause the word 'Terrorist' and our use of it has made us so much safer.

• Members

'Cause the word 'Terrorist' and our use of it has made us so much safer.

On the one hand, I want very much to engage this comment.

On the other hand, I know it to be utterly pointless. This has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum here and everywhere else online.

Flame on, I don't care. I completely disagree, but hey! that's fine. I don't have to convince everyone on the internet I'm right.

• Members

I understand that there is a bit of masculine grandstanding going on here on the HCBF. But, the situation is a bit more nuanced than you're comments would indicate.

Well, at least you're able to provide all that nuance, conveniently summarized in outline format...:thu:

Archived