Simple famous basslines?

AlexMC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To find the groove and feel for each note:

Tush - ZZ Top

Use this to practice your consistency - no notes should jump out volume wise.

The "thump" is in the muting of the left hand - don't let the notes ring.

To learn how cool the major scale can be in a rock/pop context:

I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

Use this to learn roots, 3rds, 4ths and fifths as well as locking in with a steady drum beat.

As you progress:

Anything by Bob Daisley off of the first 2 ozzy albums: Crazy Train stands out, Believer, Tonight...

You'd better know your major scale first.

Ted Nugent: Stranglehold

Good for octaves, tone consistency and stamina.

• Members

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love

Nirvana - Come As You Are

Rick James - Super Freak

The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall

Beatles - Taxman

And, of course, the official HCBF answer to this question is always...

Prince - When Doves Cry

• Members

or any Ramones songs.. again 3 chords but usually really fast, great way to get finger speed up!

Of course Dee Dee played with a pick and using nothing but downstrokes. That's where the "tone" comes from.

I would not learn bass by learning famous basslines. Learn a simple song first. "Another One Bites The Dust" is a great bassline, but you don't learn much from it. Pick a group with good easy song structures and simple lines. Ramones and Kings of Leon are good for this purpose.

• Members
U2 - With or without you...To get simpler than that you need to try the White Stripes or the Black Keys
:D

the guitard at practice last week showed me how to play that, i was freakin amazed at how simple that was. pretty much 1 or 2 notes. well maybe more but still. didnt seem that simple listening to the song tho.

• Members
I dunno, I would give em a close tie, I can drink a beer while playing lick it up!
:thu:

Ok, I just listened to both and I think that you may be right. "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" does require a slightly more evolved sense of timing than does "Lick it Up". And, I think that you'd have to put down the beer in a few places. :D

• Members

I had a lot of trouble with buzz on the E with my schecter, played a bunch of Social Distortion to get a better feel for how much pluck I needed to get enough sound without being fuzzy. That being said Ball and Chain got really old really fast. 3 notes in a loop for the entire song. /shudder

Archived