Change: The Politics of White Castle

Thunderbroom

• Members

Catchy title, huh? No politics involved I don't think though.

Last night after our gig, some of my band mates and I went to White Castle. I placed my order. The total was $7.29. I gave the cashier $20.00. Upon seeing the change due ($12.71), my drummer gave the cashier an additional $0.30.

So I waited. And waited. And waited.

As he was looking puzzled, my drummer offered up that I was due $13.01. After waiting even longer, he handed me $11.30. I gave it back to him and told him I'd like the $13.01. He went and got a calculator and then offered me $11.00. Again, I told him I'd like the $13.01. He went and got his manager. She came over, crunched the numbers and started to give me $18.01. I told her that I only wanted the $13.01 that was my change. She complied, and I ate my sliders.

WTF?!?

:freak:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A similar thing happened to me at Jack in the Box. I gave change after seeing the total and handing them my $20 anticipating just bills in change. Upshot of the deal, after much consternation on the cashier's behalf - they paid me $5 to eat my sourdough jack.

• Members

Catchy title, huh? No politics involved I don't think though.

Last night after our gig, some of my band mates and I went to White Castle. I placed my order. The total was $7.29. I gave the cashier $20.00. Upon seeing the change due ($12.71), my drummer gave the cashier an additional $0.30.

So I waited. And waited. And waited.

As he was looking puzzled, my drummer offered up that I was due $13.01. After waiting even longer, he handed me $11.30. I gave it back to him and told him I'd like the $13.01. He went and got a calculator and then offered me $11.00. Again, I told him I'd like the $13.01. He went and got his manager. She came over, crunched the numbers and started to give me $18.01. I told her that I only wanted the $13.01 that was my change. She complied, and I ate my sliders.

WTF?!?

Remember that bit in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where they invented a new form of space propulsion that was powered by the uncertainty generated by people trying to split a bill and figure out the change?

This reminded me of that.

• Members

These people are the typical products of an educational system that for the past 40 years has been dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator instead of challenging students.

My father went to school in the late 30's and early 40's. He only finished through the eighth-grade, but could solve any square-root problem with pencil and paper. Do you know *anyone* that can do that? Do they even bother to teach that anymore, or do they just tell the students which button to push on the calculator?

• Members

And to think that some folks honestly believe that people like that deserve more than $6/hr.

Of course they deserve more than $6/hr.....how the hell else do you expect them to be able to support 5 kids and make the payments on their mobile home?:confused:

• Members

All I can say is, I'm thankfull that at least they are working instead of milking the system. And if incorrect change under $50 gets resolved in the end is the worst thing that happens in a day for me, I'm cool with that.

• Members
Remember that bit in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where they invented a new form of space propulsion that was powered by the uncertainty generated by people trying to split a bill and figure out the change?

This reminded me of that.

I thought of this too. :D

Archived