Change: The Politics of White Castle

Thunderbroom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As an accountant, people often ask me if I were good at math... I FAILED calculus.

My high school "advisor" was a lady who laughed at my mother when she attened some parental seminar for something along the lines of kids going to college, and also took a piece of paper and crumpled it in my friends face and told him that this is his future, then threw it in the trash.

• Members
Oh I hated that.
:mad:

:D

We had a math teacher when I was in JR H. He was a savant. Clumsy, said 'duhhhh' a lot. Drooled sometimes. Always was covered in chalk dust. He was an absolute target for the kids.

One day he was trying to explain some algebra and nobody was getting it. Frustrated he blurted out "I don't get it! It's so EASY! Why can't you understand?!?"

One of the smart alecks retorted "Yeah, what's 8,721 times 2,768?" He looked back into his head for a second and replied "24,139,728"

He had our undivided attention from then on.

• Members
My son is young but can do long math in his head. They send assignments home and he starts writing the answers and I've got to keep reminding him to write out the work so they'll know he really did it.

This was one of my biggest struggles through highschool and college.

It always seemed like such a waste of time and paper/page space.

Especially when a prof. wanted you to show EVERY step, as I would often do the intermediate steps in my head at the very least.

Even worse was if you had to annotate every step. :facepalm:

• Members
:D

We had a math teacher when I was in JR H. He was a savant. Clumsy, said 'duhhhh' a lot. Drooled sometimes. Always was covered in chalk dust. He was an absolute target for the kids.

One day he was trying to explain some algebra and nobody was getting it. Frustrated he blurted out "I don't get it! It's so EASY! Why can't you understand?!?"

One of the smart alecks retorted "Yeah, what's 8,721 times 2,768?" He looked back into his head for a second and replied "24,139,728"

He had our undivided attention from then on.

Hoffman(2).jpg

"D..d...definitely... definitely 24,139,728"

• Members

As an accountant, people often ask me if I were good at math... I FAILED calculus.

My high school "advisor" was a lady who laughed at my mother when she attened some parental seminar for something along the lines of kids going to college, and also took a piece of paper and crumpled it in my friends face and told him that this is his future, then threw it in the trash.

You did end up as an accountant, though.

*runs like hell *

i jest, my dad's an accountant

• Members

The funny part about math is, I work as an Electrical Engineer (Transmission Planning for a Gas/Electric Utility) and I still use little more than basic Algebra to do my job.

Not that calculus doesn't have it's place hear and there, but unless you doing some really upper level engineering, it's not as necessary and they tried to make you believe it was in college. (At my job anyway)

Archived