China doesn't seem to realize that the US is not communist...

ec437

• Members

They sure as hell realize we're full of debt... China will have us pwnt someday unless things drastically change.

I know how we can cut our debt!

We should spend more money!!! :idea:

Hrm...I see Washington is already way ahead of me...excellent! :thu:

• Members

In the US it's obviously the opposite. Big corporations control the gvt.

The days of Europe and USA as major powers are counted. Welcome India and China.

I would say this conclusion is a bit premature. Both China and India lack the ability to project force around the world.

This was Germany's problem in the hey-day of the European power struggles. England could go wherever she wanted and Germany was stuck at home.

China is a flash in the pan. Their success is directly built off the economic and technology boom the west experienced this past 20-years (now in bust!) Long term economic success will not come with an overbearing government. Not to mention the vast majority of the country is as backwards as can be imagined. If you live beyond the prosperity of the cities you are in a third world country at best.

• Members

...and the gubmint does *not* control our largest corporations...

Undoubtedly this guy is just producing rhetoric for the Chinese propaganda machine. It does provide an interesting insight into the way things work in China though
:thu:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-24/google-china-exit-a-deliberate-plot-state-researcher-says.html

The Chinese see how easy it was for the Federal Gov't to take over banks and car companies. The Chinese also have a bad habit of propoganda.

• Members

I would say this conclusion is a bit premature. Both China and India lack the ability to project force around the world.

This was Germany's problem in the hey-day of the European power struggles. England could go wherever she wanted and Germany was stuck at home.

China is a flash in the pan. Their success is directly built off the economic and technology boom the west experienced this past 20-years (now in bust!) Long term economic success will not come with an overbearing government. Not to mention the vast majority of the country is as backwards as can be imagined. If you live beyond the prosperity of the cities you are in a third world country at best.

China and India are embracing capitalism as fast as they can. We and the EU are running away from it. Historically, the conclusion is obvious if current trends stay as they are.

• Members

If anything, it's the other way around.

Yeah. Someone should tell them it's actually Google's elaborate plot to toy with China. Think that was the CIA funding Tibetan insurgency? Nope, silicon valley :lol:

• Members

Google needs the internet to be free. It is in there best interest to push china for a free internet.

Capitalism requires freedom. China's embracing of capitalism is linked to American success and can not survive on its own. Nore can any of these countryies provide for their own national defense. All of this prosperity is under the Pax Americana.

• Members

Google needs the internet to be free. It is in there best interest to push china for a free internet.

Capitalism requires freedom. China's embracing of capitalism is linked to American success and can not survive on its own. Nore can any of these countryies provide for their own national defense. All of this prosperity is under the Pax Americana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Liberation_Army

The PLA is the world's largest military force, with approximately 3 million members, and has the world's largest (active) standing army, with approximately 2.25 million members.

Military spending in China has grown about 10 percent annually over the last 15 years.[26] The Chinese government's published 2009 military budget was US$70.3 billion,[27] the second largest in the world. This figure would mean that for 2009, China's military expenditure as a percentage of GDP would be 1.7%, with per capita expenditure of US$53.

• Members

I hear ya. But conventional armies are cheap. No one fights with them any more. You must have ships and planes to move supplies and people rapidly. Their army is a nice one for 1975. But this is 2010.

They may be doing a fantastic job of playing catch up. Have you looked at any of the Huawei products? In many ways, they're out Cisco'ing Cisco. The govt seem to be in a unique position where they can throw money at technology and allow its corporations operate at a loss in order to gain market share. They've announced a passenger jet and have their eyes on the foreign car market. It'll be interesting to see how successful they can be and how long the run will last.

• Moderators
They may be doing a fantastic job of playing catch up. Have you looked at any of the Huawei products? In many ways, they're out Cisco'ing Cisco. The govt seem to be in a unique position where they can throw money at technology and allow its corporations operate at a loss in order to gain market share. They've announced a passenger jet and have their eyes on the foreign car market. It'll be interesting to see how successful they can be and how long the run will last.

Yep.

• Members

Didn't we hear all of this with the Japanese 20-25 years ago? Business was working hand in hand with government, they had longer term objectives, they had a "new way" of approaching business, they were willing to take losses in order to be superior long term, etc. That didn't pan out, either.

The less free business is, the less likely it is to work well for long. And I don't believe that Chinese business is actually as free as we have been led to believe.

I'm not holding my breath as far as long-term Chinese dominance is concerned. They started at zero; growth is very impressive when you start there.

Archived