China doesn't seem to realize that the US is not communist...

ec437

• Members
Didn't we hear all of this with the Japanese 20-25 years ago? Business was working hand in hand with government, they had longer term objectives, they had a "new way" of approaching business, they were willing to take losses in order to be superior long term, etc. That didn't pan out, either.

I'm not saying that it'll pan out, but they're doing a very, very good job with Huawei. I've also read that their passenger jet uses fairly old technology and is pretty darn heavy so, if they continue down that path, it'll be a really short ride. IIRC, we were afraid of Japan's economic possibilities. With China, there's much more of a military component.

• Members

I hear ya. But conventional armies are cheap. No one fights with them any more. You must have ships and planes to move supplies and people rapidly. Their army is a nice one for 1975. But this is 2010.

They have demonstrated the missle guidance tech to knock down an orbiting satellite.

Only 2 other countries possess this capability: the U.S. and the former Soviet Union.

It would be a grave mistake to under-estimate China's military capabilities.

• Members
Didn't we hear all of this with the Japanese 20-25 years ago? Business was working hand in hand with government, they had longer term objectives, they had a "new way" of approaching business, they were willing to take losses in order to be superior long term, etc.
That didn't pan out, either.

The less free business is, the less likely it is to work well for long. And I don't believe that Chinese business is actually as free as we have been led to believe.

I'm not holding my breath as far as long-term Chinese dominance is concerned. They started at zero; growth is very impressive when you start there.

How, exactly, did that "not pan out"? :confused:

• Moderators

I'm not holding my breath as far as long-term Chinese dominance is concerned. They started at zero; growth is very impressive when you start there.

Unlike Japan, China has a crap ton of its own natural resources. That will fuel growth into the smaller towns and inland.....fueling its economy even more. . . .

• Members

In the US it's obviously the opposite. Big corporations control the gvt.

The days of Europe and USA as major powers are counted. Welcome India and China.

Hate to have to admit it but you're probably right and The Great One is working toward that goal more everyday as he stays in office.

• Moderators

It was at Planetfest 97. I was stationed in San Diego, and the Mars Rover was landing during the event. Mr Niven was doing an autograph session, and I came up with an old, ratty paperback copy of "Footfall". He gave me a look. I explained that I knew that it was traditional to buy a new copy for an autograph session, but that this was the copy I had read, and loved, and passed on to my wife and daughters to read. It was a family heirloom, in a way. He smiled a little, and signed it. I still have it, and will let my daughters fight over it when I die!

• Members

I don't realize it either.
I don't think we realize we're communist.

China doesn't seem to realize that the US is not communist...

...and the gubmint does *not* control our largest corporations...

Undoubtedly this guy is just producing rhetoric for the Chinese propaganda machine. It does provide an interesting insight into the way things work in China though
:thu:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-24/google-china-exit-a-deliberate-plot-state-researcher-says.html

• Members

Until England had 2 wars with Germany that left England broke and insignificant. Germany has been FAR more powerful than Britain and France for over 110 years. Britain and France lost the second war in 1940. The channel saved Britain's ass and the US put them on life support while the US and Russia won the war.
Anyways, military power doesn't mean anything unless you have the economic muscle to underpin it.
China? I don't know. They're rife with corruption we can scarcely imagine in the US. And their quality is poor. We'll see.
Things have gotten real {censored}ed up in the US but considering the competition, there's reason for optimism.

I would say this conclusion is a bit premature. Both China and India lack the ability to project force around the world.

This was Germany's problem in the hey-day of the European power struggles. England could go wherever she wanted and Germany was stuck at home.

Archived