Looking for a cool 60s or 70s bass

newmaxnew

• Members

Actually I am helping my wife as she is the bass player. She is looking for a cool bass from the 60s or 70s. She is intersted in a Ric 4003 right now but she is also interested in cool funk intruments from the 60s and 70s.

What do you bass players recommend. She is performing in a 60s and 70s cover band, so forget any bass that is ment for metal.

Max

• Members

How about the Fender 60s "road worn" basses? Great deal. You pay $1300 dollars and you get a Fender that's already beat up. You can one-up all those really cool people that buy overpriced jeans that are pre-worn.

:rolleyes:

On a serious note, I'm one of many that will say there's nothing you can't accomplish with the J-bass. Whether you want to pay $1000+ dollars for an American made vintage-whatever-the-hell-it-is or a $300 Squier that does pretty much the same thing is up to you.

• Members

I like the idea of the Ric. Those were sweet with a one of a kind tone.

But a tad heavy and bulky, no?

Also tempermental, from what I hear.

I go with the Jazz bass.

That and the Alembic was THE SOUND of the 70's, hands down, no exceptions, end of story.

Fender MIA Jazz basses are absolutely KILLER right now - workmanship is better than it's been in many years, and the graphite rods in the neck really do make a huge difference in tuning stability.

They've also finally fixed the bridge issues without putting a hunky, clunky gimmicky POS on there: the high mass bridge maintains the vintage profile and feel but now the saddles stay put because of the nylon bushings on the set screws.

Get the MIA Jazz bass, she will NOT be disappointed.

(I purchased mine about 3 months ago and am incredibly pleased with all aspects: sound, look, workmanship, free flight case.)

Go with the sunburst, to honor Jaco, John Paul Jones, and James Jamerson (who played a P of course, but it WAS a sunburst)

Archived