How Often Have you Changed Members?

Jiggs

• Members

So over the course of your long and short history of your band...how often have you changed members? What's the most common member to replace?

Does it affect you?...how?...

By the way...we need a bass player in Asheville, NC...:)

• Members

Main band begun in 1996 as a trio, expanded to quartet about 2 years later.

Number of persons who've played as members (including a couple fill-in one-off drummers, but excluding newly-joined drummer who hasn't gigged w/us yet):

AU= Adam Unhinged, guitar, vox (alternated bass on shows # 33, 44, and 81)

BK= Brian Krashpad, guitar, vox (alternated bass on shows # 33, 44, 81 and 1-22 )

CS= Cindy Sugardish, bass

CW= Chris "Woodchuck" Weingarten, drums

CWM= Chris Williams Moosejaw, bass

e= lower case e, bass, vox

JP= Jody Pensacola, drums (1 show)

JR= Jeremy Rimer, fill-in drummer

JT= J.T. Crashpad, drums, vox

MI= Mike Irwin, drums, vox (alternated guitar shows # 1-22)

PJ= P.J. Fancher, bass

RJ= Russell Johnson, bass

SD= Scott Dontknowjack, bass

Silo= Silo, rhythm guitar, alternated bass on show #81

SV= Steve Varosi, fill-in drummer

VR= Vicki Ralano, bass , vox (alternated drums on shows # 1-22)

VU= Vinnie Unhinged, drums

• Members

My main band, What The...?, has been together 4 years with the same lineup. We're a 3 piece and there's really no way we would be the same band without all of us there. Each of us has contributions that are integral to the way we sound, and personally we're really like family to each other, so it's just that kind of band. The lineup isn't negotiable, although we would possibly be open to adding a fourth person if (and ONLY if) they really fit in with our vibe.

My side project band, Orange Hat, is a different story. The main focus of that band is the two frontmen/songwriters who've been together for 20 years. They started out making 4 track cassettes in high school. Really as long as those two guys are there it'll always be Orange Hat, regardless of who else is playing, although other members have contributed a lot over the years and many have been great. I and our current drummer have been with Orange Hat for about 2 years, and the members that we replaced still come around occasionally... I don't think you ever REALLY leave Orange Hat, all of the alumni are still considered part time members of an ever expanding circus. :D We do a lot of multimedia projects, video etc. so past members often participate in that.

• Members

Really as long as those two guys are there it'll always be Orange Hat, regardless of who else is playing...

Yeah, that's the way this has been going for me. All the material is mine. I have been writing it now for about 10 years. And the 'band' scenerio has come about in the last couple of years.

Sometimes it's a real downer to have members not stick around for whatever reason.

• Members

Originally posted by Jiggs

Sometimes it's a real downer to have members not stick around for whatever reason.

Yeah, one of the Orange Hat guys in particular gets very bummed out by that. I'm the same way, I really feel like I need to have a stable lineup to get the full benefit of a band. And then, of course, once you have a stable lineup you can get very attached to them and therefore get really bummed if they leave.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

I really feel like I need to have a stable lineup to get the full benefit of a band. And then, of course, once you have a stable lineup you can get very attached to them and therefore get really bummed if they leave.

Exactly. Especially when you are used to playing solo...I started with the whole singer-songwriter thing...and with the inclusion of a band, it's morphed into a very Jack Johnson type sound, but without solid membership, it cannot grow very much.

We have found a keyboard player who seems to see what we are trying to do, and can add harmonies, something we have not had upto this point.

I find that bass players want to be to heady...they are not able to get creative enough with the simple way the music is written, without being overbearing.

• Members

Our band has been playing for about 3 years now. The original drummer oas the first to go at around a year. He left to play cover gig$.

Last year I had to fire my bass player/best friend due to the fact that he was smoking bales of pot before each show and he was becoming very abusive. I've xontinued on with just a drummer and have been enjoying it until the 22year old kid starts showing up for the shows about an hour late. Turns out he has this other gig that happens to overlap our gig by an hour. Mind you he's already agreed to our gig, but he just wants to get the money for both.

So we played our last gig last night, which is good because I can tell he's rather be playing jazz anyway.

So I'm cancelling the rest of our gigs, taking a break and finding a new drummer/guitar/bass. My next bandmate will have to be over 30.......

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

My next bandmate will have to be over 30.......

:rolleyes: because clearly age indicates reliability

Anyway, I play bass. From my experience, I've had more trouble with singer/guitarists than with drummers. I think it's because the front guys feel they're priviledged. In my first real band we started as a trio and added a second guitarist after a few months. Then the first guitarist/singer quit after about a year (refused to come to a gig because he was too tired...). The guitarist, drummer and I stuck it out for another 2 months, playing about 4-5 gigs where we just rocked it instrumental style. That was fun. Then it was time for me to leave for college.

In my second band, we started as a trio with me on drums, then I met a good drummer (now my roommate) and I hopped back over to bass, sending the bassist/singer into the rhythm guitar position. After about 18 months we finally decided we needed a better singer/frontman, so we added a dedicated singer and the original singer/guitarist just plays guitar now.

• Members

Originally posted by leepmeister

Anyway, I play bass. From my experience, I've had more trouble with singer/guitarists than with drummers. I think it's because the front guys feel they're priviledged.

I can understand that line of thinking. Personally I don't think this is the case, because whereas it's my material...it is better when there are others involved. And the band doesn't work without the band...lol.

• Members

I've only been in the band for six months (they've been around for about four or five years), but since I've been in the group they fired one drummer, hired and fired a female singer, and fired the guy for whom I was supposed to be a sub. The band has been through something like fifteen to twenty people. Of course, my last band has been through well over thirty in the same period of time.

• Members

same guys for 22 years except a bass player change and that was the old bass players cousin! There were other side projects along the way and this band wasn't giggin for a few years but the three of us, Drummer, guitar player and me, the other guitar player managed to keep playing. WOW did I say 22 years?? I need to have a chug of JD and go think about that for a bit.:confused:

• Members

I've still got the original member I was born with.......no seriously!:

In nine years:

Original Lead Singer/Acoustic rhythm guitar- He had a band by the same name in Bermuda.

Original Lead Guitarist- I did retire a few years ago but it didn't last but 5 weeks, so I'm officially the 1st and 3rd guitarists.

Third Drummer-He's been in the band 7 plus years now.

Third Bass Player/Electric Guitar Player- He's on his second stint too with close to 7 years total.

• Moderators

Six years...hmmm

We started out as a seven piece Blues cover band.

The lead singer left 3 months into the band....just as we were beginning to book gigs :mad:

So we changed the name of the band, and went on as a six piece for a year.

Then we fired the second guitar player....every one agreed he was not moving in the same direction as the rest of us, and was stylistically a hindrance. It actually made my job easier! And we actually sounded better as a five piece.

Then we continued on for two and a half more years, carrying a bass player who was really not moving with the rest of us either. Plus, he was a flake...forgot parts, forgot to show up to gigs, forgot to show up to gigs with 'suitable clothing', was a PITA...long saga.

It just got to he point that we canned him without a replacement on the hook. Fortunately, it was our winter hiatus.

We found a new guy, he seemed alright, he sang lead on some songs, and we did some great gigs. But about four months in, he called me to tell me we had to cancel or reschedule our next gig in less than a week....and I was not about to do that:mad: .

So we called the next guy on our list, had him do the gig, and subsequently let the second bassist go, and hired the replacement's replacement...who has been with us for two years plus now. He is pretty reliable, and plays upright as well as electric bass (and mandolin, banjo, guitar... :) )and he sings backups.

Oh, and I always wind up being the 'bastard' who tells them they are out...:(

• Members

In the band I was in before my current one, we only had one lineup change (drummer) for 7 years. During our final two years, it seemed like we changed players every 3 months with me being the only constant. But by then the writing was on the wall that it was time for that band to call it a day.

The band I'm in now, we've had the same guys for 3 years. I have a feeling that if one of us leaves, then we all do.

OR, they could be grooming my replacement right now...{censored}ers...:mad:

• Members

I am with some guys that I used to play with. One I swore never to play with although we got along good. We have had 7 members in the band since 2003 and now 21/2 years later we have gone through that many people in the band because they did not fit.

• Moderators

Julie/Pebblestar and I have had maybe 20 drummers and possibly 10 bassists. The guys on the record sometimes play a high paying show with us, but mostly it's the "B Team" who don't cost as much.

Every half decent drummer and bassist in Austin is very busy with multiple bands. You have to have a lot of guys in your Rolodex to assure you'll have players at any given show.

It's crazy.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by SpacedCowboy

OR, they could be grooming my replacement right now...{censored}ers...
:mad:

Why do you think I've been hanging around so much lately?? Think I could pull off the PRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEESSTT? ;)

• CMS Author

Singers. Can't keep 'em. Can't find 'em. Been through at least a half dozen over the past year....so far haven't been able to develop a set list or get a gig because of it. Mostly they seem to be guys that really aren't ready to be in a band...either they aren't skilled singers, or their work schedule conflicts with band time or their wives aren't supportive. We get a few rehearsals out of 'em and poof. I've tried really hard to follow up with most to ge honest feedback....if they think we suck or smell bad or something, but it seems to be the other stuff.

I've got my fingers crossed now...the current guy is really good, seems interested, and has shown up twice in a row with no flaking out. Or perhaps I'm about to awaken from this dream.....

• Members

Originally posted by BndGrl

Why do you think I've been hanging around so much lately?? Think I could pull off the PRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEESSTT?
;)

I'd actually pay to see that...although the critique your little one gave of your crooning gives me the thought that I don't have much to worry about.:D

Love ya, mean it!;)

• Members

Originally posted by SpacedCowboy

I'd actually pay to see that...although the critique your little one gave of your crooning gives me the thought that I don't have much to worry about.
:D

Love ya, mean it!
;)

Oh well, guess I'll just stick with what I do best...Jager Bombs and Speaker Dancing :D Woot!

Archived