New Years Resolutions for your playing/singing ?

J.Paul

• Members

How many of you have things you'd like to work on in the coming year and what are they?

I'll start

~I'd like to beef up my slide skills

~I'd like to get use to using my left foot on my pedals as naturally as I use my right foot.

~although I warm up vocally I NEVER warm up instrumentally (we play friggin radio music...how hard can THAT be??lol). There's no excuse and not warming up affects my phrasing (slightly) through the first set.I resolve to start warming up before we play.

• Members

My new years goal for the band:

We are going to gig and gig regularly, by the end of January - even if we don't feel ready.

It's time to step up to the plate, and get this thing rolling and keep it rolling.

We will NOT be a one gig wonder, nor will we retool the whole band based on one bad gig - we're gonna stick it out and keep this thing together.

• Members

I resolve to make my band:

1) practice regulary - even on weeks when we have gigs

2) cut down on the dead time between songs

I personally resolve to:

1) Learn to run the PA I just bought from the stage

2) record all of our gigs so we can review areas we need to work on

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Three weeks ago we brought a new guitar player on board.

Two weeks ago, through many email and phone conversations, we selected 50 songs (including originals).

Last week we each took home a CD with the first 16 new cover songs on it.

When we convene after New Years, we're each to know the first five new cover songs, and the originals.

Our goal is to start gigging again in March.

• Members

last year the goal was to have all of the bands i am in put out a 7" and keep everything on vinyl to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the CD...the "death of vinyl"

i didnt get every band but in all we had 9 7" records put out last year. all vinyl. one of them was a 4 way split with 2 of our bands on them.

in october i made a goal for this year. every band puts out a full length record.

• Members

Three weeks ago we brought a new guitar player on board.

Two weeks ago, through many email and phone conversations, we selected 50 songs (including originals).

Last week we each took home a CD with the first 16 new cover songs on it.

When we convene after New Years, we're each to know the first five new cover songs, and the originals.

Our goal is to start gigging again in March.

We are in a similar situation and trying to break in a new guitar player. We have another one (that could be another thread on it's own) and he is very good, into our style of music, knows many of the covers we do, and learns new stuff very fast..... but I still resolve to be a patient man in 2008.

We have been a band for nearly 7 years and we knew each other very well, personally and musically. A new person in the mix is going to change things.

• Members

I've got a decent list I would think.

Most importantly I plan on getting my new project off the ground. I'm about halfway to where I want to be as far as songwriting goes and that is great.

I plan to record an lp for the same project.

Personally I also want to get better with my playing branching into getting slide better and just in general learning more.

• Members

I'm going to work up my solo acoutic act again and find some profitable venues in the local area.

I'm getting really tired of driving 70 miles, getting there early to set up the PA, then have the drummer and bassist show up 3 minutes before the gig starts. I could probably live with that, but at the end of the gig, they're the first ones out the door.

Yeah, I know, it's probably my fault for not being more proactive, but sometimes I just get tired of telling people to do things they should already know they need to do.

• Members

I want to find a second band ... in a completely new circle of musicians. (I love the guys I'm playing with now...but have been playing with some of them for 25 plus years. I need to try something completely new for me).

I also want to work up a solid couple of hours worth of solo material ... standards and such stuff.

Archived