New Years Resolutions for your playing/singing ?

J.Paul

• Members

We're about halfway through the year

lets get some progress reports....

How's it going??

Me?

I'm maing progress using my left foot and warming my playing up before shows but havwent gotten around to the slide yet.

• Members

How's it going??

I said:

Just brought our new guitar player on board. Our goal is to start gigging again in March.

And we did! The new songs are going over well with our audiences. We're pruning the song list and learning more tunes that people have been requesting.

The best marker of whether it's working or not... I haven't had to pick up the phone much this year. The gigs are coming to us.

Feedback from regular fans has been positive also.

• Members

I've found my "second" band .... doing a completely different style of music that my "first" band. I've gave in to my "lounge leanings" and have joined a "#2" band that does nothing but smooth/funk jazz - a style of music that I listen to constantly, but have never played. It hasn't translated into alot of gigs - but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. My bandmates are all great guys and excellent musicians. Our weekly practices are close to home - and each has turned into a musical education for me. I'm exercising aspects of my playing that virtually never get touched in my variety act.

I've also been keeping up with Craigslist ... and responding to ads for keyboard players - and have gone out on a half dozen auditions. Although I haven't found anything that was a good fit for what I was looking for (it's either been that the material has been WAY crunchier than what I'm interested in doing, the distances involved would require too much driving (45+ minutes each way) and/or an overall quality level that made the likelihood of gigging remote).

The experience has been good - AND in the process I have made contacts with several decent players. I actually found a bass player for my "first" band as a result of an audition that didn't really go anywhere. Unknown to either of us until we got to the audition - the "band" we were auditioning for were trying to audition both of us simultaneously. The band was total garage thing but the auditioning bass player was solid. We had a short conversation in the driveway - and exchanged digits. He started practicing with us 3 days later and is now a part of my "first" band.

So far it's been a decent year in terms of personal development. My hope for the rest of the year is that I find a way to improve the gig to practice ratio! (More gigs....fewer unpaid practices!)

• Members

How's it going??

Me?

I'm maing progress using my left foot and warming my playing up before shows but havwent gotten around to the slide yet.

The band has played several gigs, is still together, has a promoter finding us gigs, plus I'm in a second band that is more commercial and upscale.

I'd say i met my goal.

Archived