Anyone here covered "I Want You To Want Me"?

RoboCop00

• Members

I sing and play both "Surrender" and "I Want You To Want Me"..... When I played bass in my band, I used my 12-String :thu: ( I play keyboards in my band now :( ).... "I Want You To Want Me" goes over rather well and they dance to it...."Surrender" is kind of hit and miss for the dancefloor (for that reason, we dont call it that much), but it always gets a big response

• Members

the bassist insisted on singing both tunes and he sucked - couldn't carry a tune to save his life.

Our drummer insists on singing and, since the new guitarist joined us, he is easily the worst singer in the band. Ouch. We sometimes 'forget' to bring his mic stand or some such, usually cures the problem. If you're playing for money then the band should sound as good as possible, even if it means somebody having to step out of the limelight. I do most of the lead vox but happily let the guitarist sing a lot of tunes that simply suit his voice better.

Back on topic, I've been wanting to cover this tune for ages but it's been vetoed as too cheesy.

Was there a female vox cover of it a while back- Blondie or some such? Or am I making that up?

• Members

'I Want You to WAnt Me' and 'Surrender' have been staples in out set list for years. They always go over great, women love to sing and dance to IWYTWM.

Cheap Trick is an awesome band. We have tried 'Dream Police' and 'She's Tight' but they didn't go over so good. Great songs but i guess too obscure for the average bar goer.

• Members

It seems like it will go over pretty well in most crowds, and wouldn't be hard to pull off with a three or four peice cover band. Any experiences?

It all depends on how good you guys sound - work it up and see.

That one's got a real tight, sparse drum beat that's gotta be right in the pocket or it falls off the tracks pretty quick.

We'll be playing it at gigs next year - hopefully it'll go over...

• Members

Yeah, we do both as well.

Out of curiousity for those of you that do Surrender, how are you guys handling the keyboard part?

I used a B3 patch blended with a transistor organ sample (combi on Triton) and played upper register octaves (16th notes) that outline the chord progression.

• Members

"I Want You To Want Me" always goes over well. For years I resisted playing it because I thought it's tempo would be too fast to get any dance action. Wrong!

It also works with young country dancers. You know, the ones where the men like to throw the ladies all over (and you hope they haven't had too much to catch them) :eek: Just don't try it in a middle age country bar. That hasn't worked out too well.

• Members

A bit of trivia:

The studio version of "I Want You To Want Me" was on the album "In Color" and instead of a ripping guitar solo in the middle section, they used a honky-tonk piano solo.

Cheap Trick wasn't really fond of the song, and were considering dropping it from their set list right before the live version of the song became a hit. They've been stuck with it ever since. ;)

• Members

Out of curiousity for those of you that do Surrender, how are you guys handling the keyboard part?

I have used either an arpeggiator (hard to do, sometimes...you have to hammer-fret the guitar chord, simultaniously, and also might have to mess with the rate knob, which is less than exact) or a sequencer, triggered from a footswitch (still either have to make three seperate sequences or have your transpose parameter at the ready).

• Members

I'm the keyboard player in my band :thu: duh :D ... I play arpeggiated lines based around a root-5-octave line that isnt exactly like the record, but fits..... I have played it several times without keyboards when I was the bass player, and even though I used my 12-String Bass on it, having a 12-String bass isnt necessary for pulling it off the same way the keyboard part is negligible when it comes right down to it......Just play it like you wrote it and all is good :thu:

• Members

I'm the keyboard player in my band
:thu:
duh
:D
... I play arpeggiated lines based around a root-5-octave line that isnt exactly like the record, but fits..... I have played it several times without keyboards when I was the bass player, and even though I used my 12-String Bass on it, having a 12-String bass isnt necessary for pulling it off the same way the keyboard part is negligible when it comes right down to it......Just play it like you wrote it and all is good
:thu:

Ohh, the arpeggiated parts during the break? you don't need no stinkin sequencer (though I'm sure it sounds good)

I did those by hand - it's an 8 note pattern IIRC; I would hit the bass root with my left hand and then it was a 1, 3, 5, octave and back down...

Archived