Anyone here covered "I Want You To Want Me"?

RoboCop00

• Members

The reason I asked aobut the keyboard part in Surrender is that currently, I play that part on guitar but it sounds a bit lacking. I've been thinking of trying to create some effect or something to make it sound less guitar like.

The keys during the verses is basically an octave played as sixteenth notes - I can't see adding an affect to the guitar - you're basically playing root/5th power chords on guitar...

I guess you could try a harmonizer, but I bet it would sound like ass trying to harmonize a root 5 power chord - but who knows, right?

• Members

The other guitarist in the band plays the root power chords. I've got a TC Electronic G-system (recently aquired) so I was thinking of either some type of filter manipulation but a simply harmonizing of the octave might be enough as well.

I think the octave stays on the I for the whole verse, even while the chords change. (I, V, IV, or D, A, G IIRC). But it should still work tracking the root of the progression.

Sorry, it's been about a year since i've played this one but it's all coming back now....

• Members
Out of curiousity for those of you that do Surrender, how are you guys handling the keyboard part?

Although we never did that song, I would point out that the At Budokan version of Surrender has no keyboards. Between that and the remix on the Small Soldiers soundtrack (which adds breakbeats and electronic effects to this song for some reason), you've got a lot of keyboard leeway. :)

• Members

Although we never did that song, I would point out that the At Budokan version of Surrender has no keyboards.

Listen a little harder.

I grew up in Chicago, so CT was ubiquitous, and I saw them several times.

They used a taped keyboard track on "Surrender", and it's pretty obvious on At Budokan.

• Members

Yeah, we do both as well.

Out of curiousity for those of you that do Surrender, how are you guys handling the keyboard part?

Me, same as above - I play an arpeggiated patch. This one just repeats the same depressed note over and over (it doesn't play through a scale). Then I just play different 1st and 5ths. The sound itself is a sharp saw wave.

I timed it so the arpeggiator playes at approx. what the beat will be, which seems close enough usually. But as mentioned above, it's not like it's missed a whole lot if it's not there (although it sounds more authentic when it is), so if the beat's a little off, I back off the volume somewhat.

Archived