when do you say no to stand in work?

JBJ

• Members

so my brother has put forward the idea of me standing in for this fancy new wedding band he's joined when he can't make gigs.

so far there's only one on the horizon away in august.

pro's:

great paying gig (equivellent of over $400 for 3x45 sets max)

i get to gig

all the stuff they do is at really fancy cool rooms (castles most of their gigs actually take place in castles)

the musicians are all top class players which is always cool to play along with

i don't plan on doing the DJing once i'm teaching 9-5 (end of august) and having this little cash cow available every now and again would be nice but i'd need to do them whenever asked.

the singer lives 5 minutes from here and doesn't drive so unless they find someone who can stand in that lives close to here (which i doubt they'd manage since they're based in a different city) i'd always be a cert for pick up gigs.

the songs are ok i mean i DJ at weddings and functions so i've kinda grown immune to hearing the same cheesy {censored} every week.

con's:

it'd mean missing a DJ set so essentially i'm only making $280 due to losing money on that

most of their gigs are an hour or two away. doesn't sound a huge amount but i can drive to my set in under 5 minutes on friday and i'll be walking to my set on saturday the pub is so close...

i'd have to drive and they don't let you drink on the job anyways. not a huge deal but i do like to have a beer after a gig and if i'm driving that's not happening.

i'd have to learn tunes. they have cheat sheets but you still at least need to have a grasp of how the tune goes to play it.

although i said the musics ok it's still not songs i'm jumping at the chance to play.

i dunno i'm probably 50/50 if i wasn't DJing and it wasn't doing my bro a favour i'd probably leave it.

where do you draw the line at doing fill in work?

• Members

...where do you draw the line at doing fill in work?

As far as where do I draw the line goes....I won't take a sub gig with guys that I know to be sphincters. Outside of that - if my calendar is open - and it puts a minimum of $100 in my pocket - I'm IN.

Hmm....good musicians, great money....play LIVE music vs play a DJ gig..... I can see why you're struggling with the decision. :poke:

• Members

Actually you'd be making an extra $280 over and above the DJ gig and should go in the pro column.

yeah i was just making the point that the $400 i'll be making is actually 400 minus my dj fee.

fwiw spacenorman i love DJing it's lots of fun providing the room and clinetelle i'm working is decent and it takes alot less effort and contains alot less bull{censored} than playing live.

i jetissoned my covers band for it actually:thu:

• Members

Let me get this straight. You want us professional musicians Most of whom have likely lost $ / club Gigs to DJs to help you sort out this quandryscheeeeshh give me a break!:poke:

come on to {censored} man it's supply n demand i'm not getting into a debate about dj's v live band in a thread that's meant to discuss where we all draw the line at work.

• Members

fwiw spacenorman i love DJing it's lots of fun providing the room and clinetelle i'm working is decent and it takes alot less effort and contains alot less bull{censored} than playing live.

Stick with DJ-ing. You don't have the desire to be a musician. I can't imagine having any sort of conflict in playing live gigs in interesting places versus playing MP3s in the same old {censored}holes every week.

Seriously. Don't screw your brother over. Let him find someone who actually has some fire.

• Members

Stick with DJ-ing. You don't have the desire to be a musician. I can't imagine having any sort of conflict in playing live gigs in interesting places versus playing MP3s in the same old {censored}holes every week.

Seriously. Don't screw your brother over. Let him find someone who actually has some fire.

alternatively you can see it as growing out of that rose tinted "hey it's got to be rock n roll or nothing" point of view.

the last gig i did with my original band was in a place the foo fighters had played the night before and the stereophonics or someone like that was playing a few nights after. that's the level we were playing at so don't give me all that you've not got the passion or fire bull{censored}.

it's all music live and let live. i know DJs who are into music WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more than plenty of musicians i know so don't give me all that you're not a real musician or you've turned your back on musicianship if you man the decks bull{censored} and if you're really interested, my brother is doing a DJ set on friday night and hosting a karaoke on saturday to tide him over on a quiet weekend so you can see where he stands on the issue.

there;s nothing wrong with having a coupla more strings to your bow. well unless you're content to sit and moan about how dj's are stealing work from live musicians.

• Members

Musician>DJ

You are practical and efficient and good luck to you. But you're still just a DJ.
:thu:

oooooh that cuts deep.

i'm a DJ when i'm standing at a pair of decks spinning records.

the rest of the time i'm a muso. well i'd like to hope so or else this band that takes $2000 minimum a night wouldn't be asking me to stand in:idea:;)

not to run this one out again but if you would care to throw me a link to anything you've recorded from way up there on your high horse i'd be interested in giving it a listen.

• Members

Seriously, dude, what the hell?
:confused:

+1

it's petty bull{censored} like this that puts me off being in bands.

too much ego. seriously who gives a {censored} what you do? i make good money playing records. i don't have a problem with that so more the pity to anyone who does actually get sand in their vag about it...

how many threads on here turn into dick measuring contests of some nature? who needs pedals, cover bands suck, metal is the best, only this music rocks.

all that stuff. it's {censored}ing nonsense man and this thread which was a genuine attempt to hear some stories and get some input has turned into another {censored} storm on the back of a few trite (and totally unwarranted / unnescesarry imo) 'you suck because...' posts.

• Members

The more gigs you do, the more music you know, the more gigs you'll get. But if that's not the goal, learning a bunch of music you don't care about for a once in a blue moon gig isn't worth it. Do this-figure how much time to prepare and add that to the equation. If it still pays , do it. If not, pass. Maybe tell your bro if your going to learn all that music, he'll need to throw a few extra gigs your way no matter if he can make it or not. That way, it's worth it.

• Members

The more gigs you do, the more music you know, the more gigs you'll get. But if that's not the goal, learning a bunch of music you don't care about for a once in a blue moon gig isn't worth it. Do this-figure how much time to prepare and add that to the equation. If it still pays , do it. If not, pass. Maybe tell your bro if your going to learn all that music, he'll need to throw a few extra gigs your way no matter if he can make it or not. That way, it's worth it.

for the most part i'd use the cheat sheets since they do stuff in different keys fromt he original alot of the time anyways and he reckons by the time the stand in work rolls around they'll have a big enough set that i they can jettison anything with solos or guitar parts that i'd really need to know inside out so it wouldn't be that difficult just to walk in on.

• Members

Man, there's a lot of hostility here. Seriously, if a DJ takes my gig, it's because I can't compete. I'm not owed anything if I can't turn in a better bang to buck than anyone else.

OP, I'm with Caveman on you doing the $$$ math wrong, but whatever. It sounds like you won't be starting with this group until about the time you give up the DJ gig anyway (August), so I don't know what's holding you back. Unless you really hate to drive, and really like to drink, this seems like a no-brainer.

• Members

True enough. No band in the world is going to be able to play any of 5000 songs for 200 bucks a night like DJs do here.

or $100 - $150 like around here. lets see... I need entertainment at my bar

$150 DJ "MOJO" or $300 for "the circlejerks" 4piece band. You're right that band or my band CAN'T / never will COMPETE for the average bar gig.

• Moderators

The line is in a different place for everyone here. Where's your line? Does the live work jeopardize your money gig: DJ'ing? Do you love to play live and miss it? Do you need the extra cash?

I mean, come on. It's something where you've got to weigh the balances isn't it? It's a good question, but we can only get you thinking in the right direction. You've got to ask yourself the right questions to come up with a decent answer...

• Members

I have nothing against dj's, but I don't want to be one. too much gear to haul.

i work for an agency. they provide the PA n stuff and i bring a mic, cable, my laptop and an stereo 3mm cable.:thu:

the tear down guys don't let me help even if i offer to help. it really is a cushy gig.

lee knight i know this is personally down to me and chances are i'll take it u nless something changes closer to the time but i was just looking for some different insights and perspectives as to everyone elses line they draw.

• Members

Like a few have said before, I think you should take it since you won't be Djing at that time anyway. Getting out and playing live will give you a break from dealing with the kids day in and day out.

• Members

I know you all thought that this post was harsh or whatever, but the man has a point really.

It's not dick measuring, or who's better - but really what motivates you and gives you satisfaction?

I mean, if you have to come on a forum and ask for folks to help you make your decision, you should expect to get some of this, cuz some of us really enjoy playing live music, and the whole concept of a human jukebox spinning songs just does not compute.

Doesn't make it wrong, or better, or worse.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but last time I checked this was "backstage with the band", not "backstage with the dj" - you probably won't find a lot of working dj's in here, so how the hell do you expect us to relate?

Not trying to stir the pot man - I'm sure you're a better musician than I'll ever be, working pro, whatever....

I'm just trying to get you to think - ultimately it is YOUR decision anyway.

Archived