First Private Gig for Free

Deeprig9

• Members

We turned down a private gig a couple months ago because they wouldn't pay, even though it was being hosted at a venue that they paid mulah for, apparently a roof, walls, and bathrooms were more important than intertainment. It was an engagment party for a good friend of a band member. But we turned it down.

But we've just accepted a private event soon that we are doing for $0. Food, beverage, and "exposure" for a complete stranger. This stranger is an intern for a very big and successful promotion company. The event is for this intern's significant other's birthday.

I'm not so sure how many "big wigs" inside of this company are going to be there. But apparently, we are this significant other's favorite local band, and it's supposed to be a surprise party.

This goes against the mantra of not playing for free, but there is a chance of some real exposure, it probably will be alot of fun. It's right down the street for most of us, only two guys have to make a drive. Hell, that's what they get for living in ATL and being in a band in Athens.

We will be doing the event, that's not what's up for debate. I just want to start a conversation.

As a young band, it's very flattering to know there's a complete stranger who absolutely loves us in a town like Athens with 101 original bands, and we are the "favorite", that makes me cream a little.

The organizer is an intern is a large influenctial national promotion company.

It's right down the street.

Free booze and food.

How bad should I feel for doing it for free?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not afraid of doing free shows for the right reasons.

Every situation is unique, and should be treated as such.

I would do this gig. The other one...not so much. Family events aren't exactly the place for our kind of entertainment. But it sounds like you're doing this for the wrong reasons.

Whatever your intentions are, make the best of the situation. In a perfect world, you would take the gig b/c this is a friend - not b/c of what this means in terms of publicity.

However, free food and booze (which is where most of my money goes anyway) is an acceptable substitute as payment in my book - on occasion, that is.

• Members

You're right. :facepalm:

In that case. Eat and drink as much as you dare and put on the show of your life.

There's a reason you're being asked, and if she has the connections she's supposed to, then all the more better.

I say "why not?"

• Members

Well since you asked.

I used to play in an original band a long time ago and we never made a lot of cash even when we did get paid. I think the don't play for free mainly aplies to cover bands. I know the scene around here often will have 3 - 5 original bands each playing about a 45 minute set and they will split the door. I'm thinking $20 bucks per man max. I know in L.A. they pay to play, or have to buy and sell tickets so I don't think an original act can expect to make much, if anything, unless and until they "make it" on some level.

I would not expect an intern to have any pull or juice within this company. His boss or bosses will likely be at the coordinator level. That said, go and play, you never know and it's good practice. Apologize to your friend for turning him down. And who knows, your intern may be running the place in a few years and he will owe you one.

• Members

Right, I doubt the intern has any pull whatsoever, but the fact this person was chosen as an intern for this company means something. And perhaps, the intern's party may very well include some work friends, and could be people who do have pull. Also, if it's not us, then some other band will be there playing for free..

• Members

Good on ya for getting the gig. But...

In all the yearsI been doing this, I've learned to run when someone say's "Exposure". There are very few jobs where you'll get decent exposure. Is there a chance you'll be on the local TV? Radio? Meet local DJ's or promoters? Local is the operative word, because industry "Bigwigs" go to a lot of parties, and trust me, they don't listen to the bands. THERE IS NO ROCKET TO STARDOM. You can't buy gas with exposure. Tell the guy at the market that you'll tell all your friends what a great place he runs if he gives you a loaf of bread for the 'Exposure'. Ain't negotiable. In any case, take a lot of promo material, and if you have guests, make sure they are willing to shill for you. You may get a paying gig out of it somehow. Sincere good luck.

Playing for family-- We have a general agreement that we'll do this for each other as needed, if we can. It's reciprocal, it's a favor, it's friendship. No abuse of the policy.

If you play for free, make sure it's for people without money (Family, Benefits for agreed upon causes, friends dealing with disaster, etc). Unless you or someone you care about is recieving something of value, you might as well place a target on your backside and say "Here's the Vaseline!"

• Members

I am the exact opposite. I think you are being used, and I am a little disappointed that you refused to do an engagement party.. We will do things like that the same as the above poster as a favor for a band-member. If anyone abuses this we would then refuse. (has not happened yet) But I will never play for free for a business. If I have to pay for exposure, I would rather try buying a radio spot. (and by playing for free for"exposure" you are forfeiting your pay, therefore paying for exposure.)

• Members

This goes against the mantra of not playing for free, but there is a chance of some real exposure, it probably will be alot of fun.

Look at it from a deontological perspective...judge the nature solely intrinsic to that act and nothing else. All Immanuel Kant talk aside, I say play the gig and have fun. You have a chance to get some real exposure and that in of itself is worth it. Having this anti-free mantra is not always beneficial.

• Members

I never understood the whole "dont play for free" mentality. If we (as a band) arent shelling out more than 1/2 tank of gas i will play just about anywhere at anytime. In the most succesful band i have been a part of we MADE this our mantra. If we weren't putting more than 1/2 tank in, then it was all good.

Ive always been of the opinion that exposure is the first priority. Making fans. Word of mouth. Put on a show, a damned good one with energy and passion. Money, in both of my previous bands that had a measure of local and regional success, was secondary. Individual members NEVER got a cut. It all went towards the band. If there was no payment involved, then, oh well. Play for free and rock everyones faces off. Make fans was always key for me.

If we did get paid, it all went back into the "band fund". With this we purchased a van, a trailor, better equipment, paid for our cds and tshirts to get made. After awhile it became a self powering machine. And, because we had and continued to play shows everywhere and anywhere, for anyone, we developed an extremely loyal fan base. Some fans went and saw us in other states which was awesome.

Still, if you are playing original music, especially now-a-days i would say that FANS are way more benificial in the long haul than $50.00 in pocket. Loyal fans make a better return on investment. No original band every got signed because they made "X" amount of money per gig, they got signed because they had a large fan base of potential buyers for a major release.

• Members

you've been spun one.

favourite local band = the 1st band she came across that said play for free? exposure y say? sign us up.

i would have played the homer for free / food or beer way before i'd have done this thing.

• Members

I tend to get my exposure from the sun. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. I have just come to hate that word. It is thrown out around as a 'payment' of sorts in lieu of the greenbacks.

However, Athens is a tough nut to crack. The demand for original bands there is about 100%, the supply is over 300 'registered' bands (through the Athens Banner-Herald during my stint there, anyway). This makes the going rate right near $0.00. I only played a couple of paid gigs there. The other 10 or so shows were for a sometimes very small beer tab (we were a 5 piece band/ 75% original). Then there's the whole soundman fee if you're getting the door. :rolleyes: When I saw a lot of those shows, it was often a bartender with the night off who happened to know where the rocker switch was on the back of the mixer.

Having said that, I personally made $20 from playing my first live show with my first original band in MS. It was a 45 min. opening slot for a band that played 2 sets after us. It's still in a frame on my desk. (I know, I'm a dork.) But once I got that cash in my hand, not getting paid became a difficult pill to swallow. I think that's why I've been in cover bands with your occasional original thrown in here and there ever since. Now, I play for free only at the open mics of a friend or somewhere I'm trying to score a gig, when I'm invited up at someone's gig, at a party where there's an accoustic leaning against the couch, or for a charity event.

Anyway, what I'm saying is this: It might be the case that Athens, Austin, Seattle, or other musical 'hot spots' work like that, but know that there are plenty of places that will and do pay you to do originals in some capacity. Now, I would not take either gig you've described. I probably would have done it when I was in Athens, though. :poke:

Have a great time, regardless, and let us know how it goes. :)

• Members

I know that all families are different, but for me, turning down an offer from family to play would simply not be an option; it would be seen as a HUGE insult to do so, regardless of whether there was money involved or not.

As for the age old question about whether or not to do a gig for free, there are so many variables unique to each situation that I really don't think a set formula can really apply, it really all depends on so many things...

• Members

We turned down a private gig a couple months ago because they wouldn't pay, even though it was being hosted at a venue that they paid mulah for, apparently a roof, walls, and bathrooms were more important than intertainment. It was an engagment party for a good friend of a band member. But we turned it down.

But we've just accepted a private event soon that we are doing for $0. Food, beverage, and "exposure" for a complete stranger. This stranger is an intern for a very big and successful promotion company. The event is for this intern's significant other's birthday.

I'm not so sure how many "big wigs" inside of this company are going to be there. But apparently, we are this significant other's favorite local band, and it's supposed to be a surprise party.

This goes against the mantra of not playing for free, but there is a chance of some real exposure, it probably will be alot of fun. It's right down the street for most of us, only two guys have to make a drive. Hell, that's what they get for living in ATL and being in a band in Athens.

We will be doing the event, that's not what's up for debate. I just want to start a conversation.

As a young band, it's very flattering to know there's a complete stranger who absolutely loves us in a town like Athens with 101 original bands, and we are the "favorite", that makes me cream a little.

Free booze and food.

Keep your hands on your check book....these people may try to sell you recording time for a demo record.

• Members

Free booze and food.

Go for it if it's no sweat to the other guys in the band.

Just don't expect anything in return.

• Members

Sounds like the intern is learning pretty well. He, an employee so important to his company that they pay him nothing, gets you to play a free gig for his SO's party ? Sheesh. What a world.

THen again, it's doubtful the guy is making money off this party.

I'd find out if he's charging a fee for entry or otherwise making money - if not, then I don't see the problem with playing for food and booze when the transpo is not an issue.

If he IS charging people for entry, or selling booze for profit - then I'd tell him to get {censored}ed.

• Members

THen again, it's doubtful the guy is making money off this party.

I'd find out if he's charging a fee for entry or otherwise making money - if not, then I don't see the problem with playing for food and booze when the transpo is not an issue.

If he IS charging people for entry, or selling booze for profit - then I'd tell him to get {censored}ed.

Hey , if they want to go out just to play, no one's going to get hurt. And they might have a lot of fun. And it doesn't sound like they are missing out on money being earned by others. But it also doesn't sound like any kind of opportunity other than just to play. I mean, an intern? That's like saying I'm doing a gig for Clive Davis' sister's third cousin's brother and thinking that's valuable exposure.

• Members

Be sure to bring enough anal lube for the whole band you will probably need it.
:facepalm:

:thu:+1 - my first post here in this section of HC, but I just had to respond. I can't begin to count or remember how many times I've heard the "exposure" quotient played up as a reason to do a free gig for someone. To me the only thing exposed is your little pink butthole as you are bending over getting ready to take it from this promoter, intern, or whoever else it is ready to sucker punch your sphincter. As modulsman said, bring ample quantities of lube:rolleyes: A little harsh and opinionated - maybe so - but this whole exposure thing really grinds my beans:mad:

Archived