What do you typically get paid? where?

tinker925

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All the places in the bay area I have experience with pay apercentage of the bar. At least in the north bay. Don't know of any that guarantee more than $300

That's just my experience and I am pretty new at this. Where in the bay area are you playing?

UOTE=tinker925;37295648]Just wondering what the differences are?

For bar joints and parties in the Bay Area its about $100 per person.... more if we bring the PA, though.

• Members

We always bring our own sound (& usually lights, too)- like most, we're at about $300 to $400 each for the duo or solo gigs, if I bring the 5 piece, we get anywhere from 150 to 360 each, unless we scalp some of the drummer's money & tell him we got less! :badump: j/k

... and this is in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma! I think we're pretty lucky...

• Members

I was making $75/man minimum for bar gigs and $200/man minimum for Proms and Wedding receptions 20 years ago. Sadly, while everything else has risen in price, these rates have stayed about the same.

My new band has only played four gigs in the last few months, but the past two gigs, we got $600/night for a bar gig (both were one-nighters). We're a four-piece, so that works out to $150/man. We have had to bring our own PA and lights for all gigs. I'm hoping to make more in the future, but we will have to build up our name first.

• Members

I'm not speaking for our band (we set our own gaurantee above and beyond the market) but in lower NY band (60 miles north of NYC)pay usually follows this scale.

$250-$300 for any band with small or little following who plays the dive bar circuit.

$400-600 For any band long established, with decent player but still with small draw.

$600-800 For A-list bands with decent draw (30-50+) in addition to regulars.

$1000+ for bands which consistently draw 100+ people or more per show. At this level it's really name your own price.

In nearly every venue sound and lights are provided by the band. Some have stages... others are dining areas cleared out for an approriate band space. Surprisingly there's been a healthy cover band scene here for years. 15-20 bands compete for bookings in 10-12 rooms spattered across a 60 x40 mile region. Most of the bands know each other and are friendly yet competitive.

• Members

I've got two gigging projects going at the moment - one is a 6 piece act that does nothing but private parties, weddings, (i.e., no bars), etc. The second is also a 6 piece - but that does a fair amount of bar work. Both bands ALWAYS provide PA.

Private party act (6 piece)

$1,500 - $1,800 is standard rate for the night

$1,200 if you're a friend of the band

$2,400+ for obviously wealthy customers (corporate) and/or special events (i.e., New Year's), etc.

Bar Band (6 piece)

$600 - minimum (typically the "1st gig" at new club price)

$900 - normal "Return" rotation price

$1,200+ - holidays, special events, private parties, etc.

Festival work with either group - i.e., 60-90 minutes total set length, PA provided, etc. - is very negotiable and always gets a break. How much depends on the specific event and our "advertising needs" at the moment. Typically we won't leave the house for less than $100 per player.

Not having to rely on band money to pay bills means we can be reasonably selective about what gigs we take on.

• Members

Hampton Roads VA (Norfolk/VA Beach)

$250-$500 for a new band doin bars

$450-$1300 for established bands doin bars

This place is saturated with cover bands and bars to play in - I think it's mainly becuz of the ass-ton of military in the area. Original music usually feeds off a "strong local following". It's hard to garner that when u have 50% of the bar crowd constantly on the move/out to sea/in Iraq/etc.

• Members

Three piece.

$600 per night for bars. More for privates, weddings and street dances.

We bring lights and PA.

Congrats on being to able to get that as a three piece. Bar Owners here wont pay a 3 piece more than $400 a nite,and even those bar owners will do everything they can to get a three piece to take $300 a nite. Thier reasoning is: 5 or 6 pieces will play for $400-600 a nite,and feel they shouldn't have to pay as much for less pieces.

• Members

Congrats on being to able to get that as a three piece. Bar Owners here wont pay a 3 piece more than $400 a nite,and even those bar owners will do everything they can to get a three piece to take $300 a nite. Thier reasoning is: 5 or 6 pieces will play for $400-600 a nite,and feel they shouldn't have to pay as much for less pieces.

We ran into that at one place. It's really a dumb argument on the club owner's part.

You can get either three amazing musicians, us (:thu:) or 6 fat, sloppy playing guys who look like they are part of a landscaping crew for the same price.

More guys in the band does not equal a better band.

• Members

More guys in the band does not equal a better band.

So, so true...

I think the worry with venues is that less of a "show" will happen with a smaller group. Not as many people in motion on stage.

Still a crap argument, though. My cover band's all over the place now, especially now that I've decided to swallow my pride and go fully wireless (headset mic and all).

It's nice to be able to go anywhere and keep singing, dorky as it looks. We play mostly 80s stuff, so it fits the image. And I seriously love being able to go anywhere and not miss a word - and not worry about some asshole hitting my mic stand and breaking my teeth.

Most venues here pay $400 or less, especially downtown. But downtown isn't really the best place for a cover band to try and get a gig in Austin (save a few top-tier venues that happen to be down there) - it's more original band territory.

We try not to accept anything less than $600 for our three-piece band. Sometimes we will go lower for new venues, desirable situations, or places that provide sound and a sound guy.

My previous minimum for a full show was $100/man. I think that's an okay price...but like I said, we don't really accept it anymore, because we know we put on a show that's worth more than that.

Tripper

Archived