A cover band we could all probably get behind!

wheresgrant3

• Members

There's endless debate on this board about style, setlist, stage prescence ... etc. So I figured I'd post a few links from this cover band from Croatia. A bunch of early 20-somethings that play at near tribute level. Obviously they have some serious post recording effects going through the audio feed. Still, these guys are pretty impressive for playing in some makeshift bombshelter. Or maybe that's how nightclubs look in Croatia.

The guitarist looks maybe 19. :thu:

[YOUTUBE]pWUADLNAc-g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vsdYSYPilN0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4Z012d1hsHA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'll bet to play at that level... you're going to draw a crowd no matter what. Dancing really is irrelevant if you're drawing an audinece in. I don't know of any bands in my area that could perform those tunes at that level. Some could maybe come close, but these guys really nailed it (esp the Joe Cocker). If they did, they would certainly have a great name and rep and probably draw... regardless of how many people were really up and dancing.

Again... it's not always about 'the setlist'. Performance and presentation is the other 50% of the equation.

• Members

What these videos illustrate is that most cover bands, or the cover bands that I hear around here anyway, just do half-assed covers of songs. These guys have worked hard (unless it just comes easy to them) on at least these three songs to get the nuances, dynamics, tones, depth and feel in these covers that most cover groups can't or won't do. I wonder how these guys would sound on Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl? :poke:

• Members

I just spent about 45 minutes watching their videos. Holy crap...they're not perfect, but they're damn good, and they really have a lot of heart - they really SELL the songs.

I'm guessing they rehearse all the time - that's the only way they could be that good.

Makes me feel like a total lame-o because we never rehearse.

But I bet we make more money than them for our shows...ah, sad injustice! :)

Brian V.

• Members

What these videos illustrate is that most cover bands, or the cover bands that I hear around here anyway, just do half-assed covers of songs.

+ 10,000.:thu:

The guitarist's lead tone on Time is really, really, good, and a really close approximation of the original. He's changed up the line just enough to give it his own flavor, while keeping the signature sound. Nice.

• Members

Great band....

What everyone is saying is that you're considered 'good' if you can do a cover song as close as possible to the original recording, and this is coming from a forum of musicians. Just imagine what it would be like as a 'civilian' hearing them. Now if you pay attention there are really no stand-out musicians in that band. In other words they're not awesome players playing originals at a high level, they're doing covers pretty darn close to the originals. And doing them well, and WE'RE all saying they're great. Are they really 'great' are just really really good at copying songs?

• Members

What everyone is saying is that you're considered 'good' if you can do a cover song as close as possible to the original recording, and this is coming from a forum of musicians. Just imagine what it would be like as a 'civilian' hearing them. Now if you pay attention there are really no stand-out musicians in that band. In other words they're not awesome players playing originals at a high level, they're doing covers pretty darn close to the originals. And doing them well, and WE'RE all saying they're great. Are they really 'great' are just really really good at copying songs?

If you took probably half the time going to their website as you did scouring this thread and getting all them quotes. You would have seen they have moved into doing originals....

http://www.gruhak.com/audio

Now you can answer that question for yourself.

That isn't to imply that I think it's a fair question to begin with. Covers? Originals? It takes dedicated good musicians to be able to do either type as well as these guys have.

• Members

No. They're really tight (not perfect--for example: backup vocals are off in places on the JC song, bass seems slightly out of tune to me on that intro), but the performance is good enough on the rest of it that as a live listener who can't rewind (can we still say rewind in 2009? :lol:) is left with a feeling of excellence, anyway. They're in tune/gelling with each other the entire time, not just going through the motions. It has more to do with the latter than anything. Paying close attention to intimate details, but making music together present in the moment.

I also disagree that there are no stand out musicians in that band. I was impressed by the vocalist, for sure. In fact, I'd LOVE to do backup vocals for that guy. :thu: His voice is powerful, soulful, and on pitch. :eek: I also felt the guitarist carried some real emotion in his playing. Then again, I prefer guitarists like David Gilmour to Ywangie or some of the other 'fret masters.' YMMV.

• Members

BTW & FWIW I'm not criticizing this band...far from it. I'm just pointing out that what we, or most people, think of as really good in a cover band, since I admittedly have not listened to this bands originals, is the ability to accurately recreate the original recording. Sometimes threads here compare original bands vs. cover bands or even "should we try to sound like the original" cover bands vs. "we're doing covers our own way" bands. While there's certainly room for everyone, what I'm doing is pointing out that most people, as witnessed by the musicians' comments, want to hear covers done as accurately as possible, and indeed see that ability as awesome, great, near tribute, etc. That's all.

• Members

BTW & FWIW I'm not criticizing this band...far from it. I'm just pointing out that what we, or most people, think of as really good in a cover band, since I admittedly have not listened to this bands originals, is the ability to accurately recreate the original recording. Sometimes threads here compare original bands vs. cover bands or even "should we try to sound like the original" cover bands vs. "we're doing covers our own way" bands. While there's certainly room for everyone, what I'm doing is pointing out that most people, as witnessed by the musicians' comments, want to hear covers done as accurately as possible, and indeed see that ability as awesome, great, near tribute, etc. That's all.

I know what you're saying. But there's "parroting" done by people that really can't do anything else...ask them to improvise a completely different solo, or whatever they are useless.

Then there is cover music performed by people where you can hear the natural talent coming through.

These guys all obviously have that.

They are covering the songs, but I hear their individual personalities, too.

I have no doubt these guys can do more than just playing covers.

• Members

This really only applies to most of the people who hang out in this forum, and decided to post in this thread. I listened to about 30 seconds of Immigrant Song. It was fine, but nothing I was interested in hearing. It's also certainly nothing I'd ever go out to a bar to see. I don't think you can really generalize from the responses in this thread.

• Members

If you took probably half the time going to their website as you did scouring this thread and getting all them quotes. You would have seen they have moved into doing originals....

Now you can answer that question for yourself.

That isn't to imply that I think it's a fair question to begin with. Covers? Originals? It takes dedicated good musicians to be able to do either type as well as these guys have.

Good stuff, I'd buy their disc and I'd pay to see them.

Archived