Songs suggestions for solo acoustic gigs?

CountRobula

• Members

Well, if I could get away with playing some sinatra and tim buckley and other crooning stuff in a restaurant/winebar setting, that'd be great.

I'm gonna have to think about what places. Let's say your typical coffee house kind of setting, I guess, since that seems to be the most common place.

• Members

I think pretty much any song can be played on an acoustic. So pretty much the setlist would be made like any gig.

Depending on the crowd you expect, and if you are trying to be background music, or rock the party.

Anything by Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Band, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, stuff off Zep 3, Green Day has a bunch of chilled out acoustic songs, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Sublime, Pearl Jam, AIC, etc.

Hope this helps.

dk

• Moderators

I like playing classics on the acoustic. Songs that weren't recorded on acoustic. So your idea of Sinatra? Yeah. I mean... a heartfelt version of My Way or Fly Me to the Moon, slowed down even and played as if you were Jeff Buckley? That's cool. Why not?

What's cooler? A heartfelt My Funny Valentine done a la Neil Young? Or doing a Green Day song they did on acoustic? Maybe doing a Green Day song that was on 11 via the acoustic... that's interesting.

How about The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face done to an uptempo pattern, like Paul Simon's Cecilia? Get creative. Do the songs universal loved and bring something new to them.

Sam Cooke on acoustic? Hell yeah! Outkast's Hey Yah? Hell yeah.

Check some YouTube ukulele covers done during the recent uke craze for ideas... Build Me Up Buttercup? Destiny Child's Survivor? Why not?

• Members

I like playing classics on the acoustic. Songs that weren't recorded on acoustic. So your idea of Sinatra? Yeah. I mean... a heartfelt version of My Way or Fly Me to the Moon, slowed down even and played as if you were Jeff Buckley? That's cool. Why not?

What's cooler? A heartfelt My Funny Valentine done a la Neil Young? Or doing a Green Day song
they
did on acoustic? Maybe doing a Green Day song that was on 11 via the acoustic... that's interesting.

How about The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face done to an uptempo pattern, like Paul Simon's Cecilia? Get creative. Do the songs universal loved and bring something new to them.

Sam Cooke on acoustic? Hell yeah! Outkast's Hey Yah? Hell yeah.

Check some YouTube ukulele covers done during the recent uke craze for ideas... Build Me Up Buttercup? Destiny Child's Survivor? Why not?

Good post.

Once in awhile I pull out an arrangement of "Slow Boat To China" I worked up.

I do a lot of singer/songwriter type stuff, with an alt country feel- James McMurtry, John Prine, Chris Knight, John Hiatt, Amos Lee, Sean Mullins, Dylan, Richard Thompson, a bit of James Taylor and Buffett in the well for requests, and I do some classic rock and R&B songs reworked-"When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" "Try A Little Tenderness", "Under MY Thumb", "Let It Be", "Oh! Darling", "Dead Flowers", Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" as a ballad, and some blues stuff- Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James, etc etc. I tend to stay away from better known or more modern stuff (though I do play a bit of it) because my audience seems to prefer listening to stuff they haven't heard ( don't know why, but the tally in the tip jar at the end of the night seems to confirm it) but I wouldn't presume to say that this approach would work for everyone everywhere.

Last night I announced that I'd be playing John Prine's "Big Ol Goofy World' and that I hadn't played it before (which was true)- a guy came up and dropped a 20 in the tip jar after I played it. Go figure.

• Moderators

...I tend to stay away from better known or more modern stuff (though I do play a bit of it) because my audience seems to prefer listening to stuff they haven't heard ( don't know why, but the tally in the tip jar at the end of the night seems to confirm it)...

This is a point I've been making since I went pro 30 plus years ago. People really want to experience the music. They accept a carbon cover cause we all like music... but to really let them experience it? So when you play a song they haven't heard, and you bring your ability to communicate to that group of people right there and then... it is what is forgotten too often.

Your crowd enjoying unheard of music is the same as my enjoyment of reinterpreting classics.

To hear something that speaks. My reinterpretation allows someone to say... "One... it really is the loneliest number isn't it?" Or for some one to hear...

Oh I wanna dance with somebody

I wanna feel the heat with somebody

Yeah I wanna dance with somebody

With somebody who loves me

Oh I wanna dance with somebody

Slow and thoughtful, and for them to think, " That's kind of sad and poignant." We have a choice, be easy wallpaper or bring the real joy of a musical experience to people.

• Members

My reinterpretation allows someone to say... "One... it really is the loneliest number isn't it?"

Hey, thanks for the song idea.:idea:

I hadn't thought about that song, but I'm going to download the lyrics and work it up for tonight! I already have an arrangement idea in mind.

• Members

It seems like every gig we get a couple of people throwing tips in the jar for John Prine songs. They're some rabid fans. Angel From Montgomery is a must have, and probably our most requested J.P. song.

You can do 90% of the songs out there solo on acoustic. Take your pick. A couple that go over particularly well for me are For What it's Worth, Bad Moon Rising, Wicked Game, House of the Rising Sun, Neil Young, Tom Petty, etc. I'll add Folsom Prison/anything Johnny Cash/especially NIN's Hurt to the list for solo male vocals, just from see it go over well.

• Members

Hey, man, having thought of it your way, I'd love to just put my own spins on songs, and I'll probably try to get on that tommorrow or even tonight. So far my repetoire is probably 3-4 songs tops, so I have a lot of work to do..

I had the idea of doing a slow, melancholic, bluesy rendition of "On The Road Again".. I just think that it could easily change the whole vibe and feel of the lyrics and whatnot. I KNOW I could think of so many other songs that I could do.. You're giving me a lot of ideas now. lol

• Members

This clip has been posted on here before but it's well worth a repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

Very cool. I love seeing things like this; anything can be pulled off acoustically.

I recently saw a solo female do unplugged versions of "Oops, I did it again" and "She works hard for the money" and her arrangements were so good that both of them just killed.

There is something really cool about seeing the light of recognition on peoples faces when they figure out what song they are hearing :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of my first paid assignments from Flagpole was to cover an Adam Klein show. It blew my mind that the artists that night could capture all the dirty glory of life in a song. Klein in particular is becoming a big supporter of Athens Americana. His label Cowboy Angel Music is full of great acts, including my most recent favorite, Justin Evans.

The best way I can explain Athens music to some of my friends is that the "scene" is like a little galaxy with its own solar systems (genres) and planets (bands). Maybe I'll draw a map... Better than my "Disney World on Crack" theory anyway.

==============

Chanel parfums

bridal dresses

Archived