Songs suggestions for solo acoustic gigs?

CountRobula

• Members

I can't believe you said that about ailing pets. In my long life in the theatre, I developed a sixth sense for knowing when they were going to kill off a pet in a play or movie. It is the cheapest emotional shot there is. Don't even joke about it. I guess it's one of my "pet peeves".

=======================================

Grow Light

floral abstract wall d

• Members

This is funny because last night when I was playing at home I realized I probably know the lyrics to enough songs in my head that I could do a 2-3 hour acoustic gig. I could easily do four hours if I had the lyrics to more songs. There's a coffee shop here that was looking to give an acoustic musician a place to showcase their music, i.e. play for free. I know it goes against the grain, but I've pretty much gotten over my fear if signing in public and the band only lets me sing one song. I don't think I suck because people are always like "what other songs do you sing", but we keep playing the same 35 songs we have been for the last year. What better way to improve than to actually do it more often?? But, playing for free is another discussion... maybe I will post something about it to get the forums general take on it.

Anyways, I formulated two sets in my head last night and could come up with two more, but here's what I had last night.

Wheels

• Members

Sickman and Sventvkg both suggested someone that came to my mind instantly - Bob Marley. Maybe that music won't work in your area/audience, but I've done very few acoustic shows where I haven't been asked to sing one of his chilled out songs. I love playing/singing Redemption Song. And One Love is a great song, too... used to sing that with the girlfriend.

Depending on the age of the crowd, I sometimes pull out Mr. Big's Be With You... sounds good on the acoustic!

That's The Way, Led Zeppelin? First time I tried it live, I did so bad I swore I'd never sing it again. A month or so later, I was asked to do it and it went over great!

Ummm...also used to sing Your Body Is A Wonderland with the girlfriend. Not exactly a J.M. fan, but "they" liked it.

• Members

I can't believe you said that about ailing pets. In my long life in the theatre, I developed a sixth sense for knowing when they were going to kill off a pet in a play or movie. It is the cheapest emotional shot there is. Don't even joke about it. I guess it's one of my "pet peeves".

=======================================

• Members

OCMS - Wagon Wheel - becoming very popular.

Ryan Adams (not Bryan) and WhiskeyTown have some great, great songs that sound great on acoustic: Jacksonville Skyline, Come Pick Me Up, Let it Ride are a few of my favorites.

Those are the only ones I've yet seen here. Many good suggestions, though.

• Members

I'd pick Legionnaire's Lament as Decemberists song. Good uplifting song!

I'm afraid I'm not that much into most Indie so I can't help with many suggestions, but if you're looking into other genres perhaps you could pull off an Acoustic version to Maybe Tomorrow by Stereophonics? I always thought Waiting in the Weeds from the new Eagles album is a great acoustic song aswell.

===============================

chevrolet impala wheel bearing

volkswagen scirocco

Archived