This guy is going to put all you Cookie Monster "singers" out of business

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just don't get the cookie monster vocals. Once the first guy did it, don't every one of the guys doing it after him sound exactly the same? I mean, it's not like singing a melody, with a certain tone or pitch to your voice, or playing a guitar with a distinct tone or style. Every cookie monster vocalist sounds completely interchangeable with another one.

• Members

I just don't get the cookie monster vocals. Once the first guy did it, don't every one of the guys doing it after him sound exactly the same? I mean, it's not like singing a melody, with a certain tone or pitch to your voice, or playing a guitar with a distinct tone or style. Every cookie monster vocalist sounds completely interchangeable with another one.

Obviously you haven't seen the female cookie monster

. :cop:

• Members

hmm, wonder if I can teach my rooster to hold his note like that. I dont think he'll go for it.

anyway, yeh i dont get the whole cookie monster thing either. I mean I grew up on thrash but it was Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Pantera and Slayer and none with the exception of Slayer and to some extent Pantera did the cookie monster vocals. Now every metal band I hear sounds like Venom ....then you have the Norwegian Black metal bands..I'm not even going to get into discussing that, they annoy me and I'm not even religious

• Members

first time I heard the term, Tom Waits was on the other end of it.

• Members

Every cookie monster vocalist sounds completely interchangeable with another one.

But not every cookie monster vocalist LOOKS completely interchangeable.

[YOUTUBE]JmEY-HzX_ic[/YOUTUBE]

There can be only one.

As for the female vocalist linked above: is it wrong that she makes me feel a little funny in the pants?

• Members

what sucks about the cookie monster bands is that I really dig some of the music, there are a lot of really talented musicians in those bands but as soon as the vocals kick in I cant stand to listen to em.

yep I'm gettin old

• Members

I don't know... I bet plenty of people here have parents who said the same thing about their music when they were younger.

:rolleyes:

Back when vocals had melody? :lol:

{censored} dude, I was a big metalhead - fan and player.

I hated Slayer when I was 17 years old, dig? (24 years ago)

Vocals sucked...

Metallica? Loved em.

Go figure, right?

Cookie monster stuff got real old, real fast.

Too {censored}ing derivative...done to death.

But there's always some value in the music - I guess that's always been the case, right?

I remember thinking Hetfield's vocals were weak until I got hooked on the music, then all of a sudden it was just right.

SO maybe that's still the same - thing is, I have heard very little music in that genre lately that really jumps out the way that old metallica did...

I think the drop-tuning thing really has gone too far in making a lot of that music sound the same.

Guess I'll go check the OP videos out now. :thu:

• Members

I don't know... I bet plenty of people here have parents who said the same thing about their music when they were younger.

:rolleyes:

True....but most everybody I know of any age thinks cookie monster vocals sound like {censored}. Even my kids, and most of their friends, so I guess that argument doesn't fly, since none of them are parents yet.

• Members

True....but most everybody I know of
any
age thinks cookie monster vocals sound like {censored}. Even my kids, and most of their friends, so I guess that argument doesn't fly, since none of them are parents yet.

Yet most everybody I know of listens to that kind of music. Circumstantial evidence?

For my ears, you can play Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson and I'll tell you they sound the exact same. Two of their songs came on the radio the other day when I was looking for new break music -- Halo and Already Gone -- I think they're the same goddamn song to be honest. Neither one of them screams, yet I couldn't tell them apart back-to-back. Someone who listens to either one probably could. Just like to someone who doesn't listen to a lot of screamers, Unearth and Chimaira probably sound the same, too.

• Members

Just like to someone who doesn't listen to a lot of screamers, Unearth and Chimaira probably sound the same, too.

Fair enough. Personally I'm not going to take the time to study and recognize the nuance of one cookie monster singer to another.

For me the shame is I tend to like some of what's going on musically. But I can't get past the vocals. Watching that chick sing made me nauseous.

Archived