This guy is going to put all you Cookie Monster "singers" out of business

• Members

IMHO, this is a very old debate, which boils down to, " What is art ? "

Most opinions on this subject are valid, with the "experts" insisting that the detractors are some how uneducated pea brains that wouldn't know art if it bit them in the arse. Then we have the opinions that say, " I don't know if it's art, but I know what I like." Equally valid.

How many times have we all seen some artist's work and thought to ourselves, " WTF is that all about ? Seems like trash/junk/obscenity to me. " Yet the critics and art experts praise it, saying it is a pioneering piece or some other concept. And there are examples of popular artists who get slammed by the experts as mundane hacks. Example: Thomas Kinkade.

So personally, I do not like or enjoy screamo or whatever it's called. But I'll not go as far to say it is not valid as a musical form. I didn't like Yoko Ono's "vocals " either. But who is to be the judge of what is art and what is not? It think it's just easier to let all art stand on it's own, knowing there will be detractors and those who praise it. And isn't most "good" art designed to move us, in one way or another? Screamo certainly does that, does it not?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't like Yoko Ono's "vocals " either. But who is to be the judge of what is art and what is not?

Ok, you can call it "Art". What it boils down to is whether or not something is enjoyable for me to listen to. If I don't enjoy it, I don't care if it's called Art, Rap or Screamo, it still doesn't sound good to me.

• Members

Then you fall under that category that says, " I don't know ( or care ) if it's art, I know what I like ( and what I don't )." A valid opinion. A truly open-minded individual allows others to have differing opinions. One need not agree with another's opinion, but merely agree to disagree.

• Members

I mean, in your case, you are purposely manipulating you voice to sound unpleasing to most people. You have to know going in that if you play to 100 metalheads, 80 are going to not be able to get past the vocals, another 15 will not like the vocals but will be into the rest of the music and 5 will really get it.

People know what kind of show they are getting into when they come to the venue. If I play to a hundred metalheads, which I do, I am sure that a majority of them will be able to get into the vocals. They get it. The other people that don't get it are the older people. Not all older people, just some of them. A sound guy we play with frequently is nearly 50 but he likes the stuff that comes out of the metal scene.

Clearly, it just depends on the person, their opinion, and so forth. My opinion differs from yours. So be it, I don't care. :lol: I prefer my genre and crowd to play to.

• Members

IMHO, this is a very old debate, which boils down to, " What is art ? "

Most opinions on this subject are valid, with the "experts" insisting that the detractors are some how uneducated pea brains that wouldn't know art if it bit them in the arse. Then we have the opinions that say, " I don't know if it's art, but I know what I like." Equally valid.

How many times have we all seen some artist's work and thought to ourselves, " WTF is that all about ? Seems like trash/junk/obscenity to me. " Yet the critics and art experts praise it, saying it is a pioneering piece or some other concept. And there are examples of popular artists who get slammed by the experts as mundane hacks. Example: Thomas Kinkade.

So personally, I do not like or enjoy screamo or whatever it's called. But I'll not go as far to say it is not valid as a musical form. I didn't like Yoko Ono's "vocals " either. But who is to be the judge of what is art and what is not? It think it's just easier to let all art stand on it's own, knowing there will be detractors and those who praise it. And isn't most "good" art designed to move us, in one way or another? Screamo certainly does that, does it not?

This post is win, I applaud you.

• Members

Some music I enjoy. Some music I find unenjoyable, and some I just bust out laughing at the seriousness of the artist(s).

I find CM vocals to be in the third category. I laugh at them, but don't find it a problem that others enjoy them. Just not my cuppa.

Archived