Cover bands, do you play anything that was not on the radio?

sickman

• Members

I can think of a number of songs on our setlist that were never on the radio. I think this is a bad idea, but it's not my call. They are cool songs, but no one seems to recognize them. For this band it's out of the question to suggest to them everything on the list should have been on the radio, but moving forward I think it's a pretty good requirement when putting together a setlist for a cover band.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the songs we play were on the radio. We do play some songs that weren't on the radio, like our originals and "The Living" by Natalie Merchant. Our version of "The Living" is so different than Natalie Merchant's version that many people don't recognize it as the same song. People often think it's an original. I always give songwriting credit to Natalie, though. :-)

• Members

we try to stick to songs that we released as singles. We have done a few selfish tunes in the past and they always flop.

Perfect example is: Beer by Reel Big Fish. Great song, but if you are not familiar with RBF you are not going to know it. We played it cuz our keyboard player loves the song... the crowd hated it.

I do have 2 other short stories about this sort of thing.

* when we were auditioning for guitar players a few years back, one guy came in, played great but then started telling us about a project he was working on. A cover band that played obscure tunes from the 70s... He said something like: "It doesn't matter what songs you play as long as you play them well." We dissagreed and said it is very much about the setlist. Needless to say, He didn't get the job.

* I know of one coverband in my area that used to argue over songs all the time so they decided they each get 1 totally selfish song... it's only 4-5 songs out of a set of 45. maybe you can compromise THAT way. I would want ALL of the songs to be "hits" but if you got to compromise maybe this is the way.

• Members

I guess I should mention we are a "biker/blues/geezer" band. Nearly everything we play was popular before I was born, so I'm not sure if it was ever on the radio. Something like "Whipping Post" I have never heard on classic rock radio, but it goes over pretty well. Some stuff ("24 Hours", "Rambling Gambling Man", "Wishing Well", "Francine") doesn't seem to do anything for anyone. I don't think any of the blues stuff was on the radio, but it can go over well depending on the venue.

I guess in a situation like this it would be best to stick to the places where this kind of music is appreciated and live with the limitations that exist because of this.

• Members

We play a few songs that might fit that category, but they are all well known songs. For example:

We go into Iko Iko in the middle of Blister in the Sun

We end our second set with Jambalaya, which is a traditional Cajun song, but everyone knows that down here.

We don't do any "album tracks", if you know what I mean.

• Members

* I know of one coverband in my area that used to argue over songs all the time so they decided they each get 1 totally selfish song... it's only 4-5 songs out of a set of 45. maybe you can compromise THAT way. I would want ALL of the songs to be "hits" but if you got to compromise maybe this is the way.

That's not a bad idea, but it's hard to get them to learn new songs. The only songs I sing are either I-IV-V or songs they already knew. I look at my situation as more of a "hired" gun... I show up, help set up/tear down, and know the songs without much input on setlist or booking. I wouldn't mind taking on a larger role, but at this point with how often we practice (NEVER) the set list is pretty much set in stone. Down the road I'd like to start something where I am more involved, but the booking scares me because it is not something I have done.

• Members

Something like "Whipping Post" I have never heard on classic rock radio, but it goes over pretty well. Some stuff ("24 Hours", "Rambling Gambling Man", "Wishing Well", "Francine") doesn't seem to do anything for anyone.

Where these songs ever on the radio? Another one we do that doesn't seem to get much of a reaction is "Stealin" by Uriah Heep. I think they're cool songs, but then we play "What I Like About You" and everyone goes nuts. I'd rather have a few more like that... it's not like they are hard to play/learn.

• Members

Just do it.
:thu:

Two issues:

1) I could see the band I play with now being upset because I have made no effort to get anything for them. (note: the drummer plays with another band and the singer plays in an acoustic duo with the bassist).

2) All the guys I have met since I moved here that I would want to "work" with I have met through this band. So, it would basically be like a variation of this band without the singer and with a more updated setlist.

• Members

We do murder in my heart for the judge. moby grape.

Back when that song came out, everybody was doing album tracks of well known artists. Cream's "Disraeli Gears" was covered six ways from Sunday by almost everybody. Also Hendrix's "Are You Experienced", We did a lot of obscure stuff by Chicago. Different times, maybe.

There's a band down here that does MOSTLY obscure stuff. I want to believe they get away with it because of their superior musicianship. . . . . .

• Members

Back when that song came out, everybody was doing album tracks of well known artists. Cream's "Disraeli Gears" was covered six ways from Sunday by almost everybody. Also Hendrix's "Are You Experienced", We did a lot of obscure stuff by Chicago. Different times, maybe.

There's a band down here that does MOSTLY obscure stuff. I want to believe they get away with it because of their superior musicianship. . . . . .

sounds like we played in the same era.. we were into BS&T, chicago, soul , soft rock like association, grass roots, tommy james, cryin shames, three dog night, byrds, spencer davis, rascals. All horn and vocal and rhythm driven stuff. we let the fuzz busters do the cream and hendrix. great lead guitar player was not our strong suit. Vocals, horns, and strong dance music that was good dance music was . i really enjoyed playing that stuff since there were no young teen bands doing much of it. i guess that is what happens when you form a band with all band geeks and chamber choir.

• Members

I can think of a number of songs on our setlist that were never on the radio. I think this is a bad idea, but it's not my call. They are cool songs, but no one seems to recognize them. For this band it's out of the question to suggest to them everything on the list should have been on the radio, but moving forward I think it's a pretty good requirement when putting together a setlist for a cover band.

You're talking about two different (yet often related) things:

1) Was the song a radio 'hit'?

2) Do people generally recognize the song?

Ultimately I would think for a cover band, it shouldn't matter at all if the song was a radio hit or not, as long as the crowd still knows the song and is into it.

For example, I've just started playing with an alt/early 80's-early 90's band, and I'd guess that...at least 50% of the songs we're playing never received significant radio play (if any at all). But the crowd we're targeting (and it definitely does exist) still KNOWS those songs well.

Depends on your audience, the material you're focusing on, etc. If the members of your band are serious about success with the crowd on any level, they'll recognize which songs don't work, even if they are fun to play.

• Members

You're talking about two different (yet often related) things:

1) Was the song a radio 'hit'?

2) Do people generally recognize the song?

Ultimately I would think for a cover band, it shouldn't matter at all if the song was a radio hit or not,
as long as the crowd still knows the song and is into it

For example, I've just started playing with an alt/early 80's-early 90's band, and I'd guess that...at least 50% of the songs we're playing never received significant radio play (if any at all). But the crowd we're targeting (and it definitely does exist) still KNOWS those songs well.

Depends on your audience, the material you're focusing on, etc. If the members of your band are serious about success with the crowd on any level, they'll recognize which songs don't work, even if they are fun to play.

Agreed, I mean alternative 80's stuff, you start getting into stuff like the Smiths, and that was never on the radio. Yet, you play "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others" to a crowd of people who are into that kind of stuff, and they'll know every word.

• Members

Agreed, I mean alternative 80's stuff, you start getting into stuff like the Smiths, and that was never on the radio. Yet, you play "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others" to a crowd of people who are into that kind of stuff, and they'll know every word.

Exactly.

Know your audience.

(Although we're doing "Bigmouth Strikes Again")

• Members

I absolutely agree that you need to know your audience. That said, my band can often be clueless about the audience (at least the guy calling the songs - we don't have a set list). We play classic rock covers with some blues tunes thrown in. Many of our blues tunes, several by Tommy Castro (Nasty Habits, Like An Angel) and a Robert Cray song (Phone Booth), while fun to play (i.e. completely self-indulgent), do not meet the "radio play" or "recognizable" criteria. In the right settings, namely a "listening and appreciating" audience, they work great. But inserted with a dance and party crowd, they often bomb. Not to deflect all blame here, but I just play what is called and discuss later.

• Members

I haven't thought of, much less heard, that one in ages! How's it go over?

It kills. the harmony we use is what really adds to the song and we really lay the funky rhythm to it. We do a structured jam night and we have a bass player blues front man that does that one with us. he really lays down the groove and has a real dynamic voice with lots of juice. Good dance tune with a good hook in the chorus. earl the pearl bluzinski,,is his stage name, he played in a band when he was young out of MN that got radio play on WLS in chicago. The Electras. solid regional following in the early 60s. great guy , and really knows how to rev up the crowd.

• Members

I guess I should mention we are a "biker/blues/geezer" band. Nearly everything we play was popular before I was born, so I'm not sure if it was ever on the radio. Something like "Whipping Post" I have never heard on classic rock radio, but it goes over pretty well.

When I was working in Radio the only time it got played was when I need to run across the street for a sandwich and a six pack. The live version we had was 20+ minutes long, Echoes by Floyd was another good one for a beer run.

Back on topic, you can get away with songs that didn't get a lot of airplay if the people in the crowd know them. You have to know your crowd, it's really that simple.

• Members

yes, we do quite a few that were never or seldom a part of a typical station's rotation. We get lots of compliments for not doing ALL of the same old stuff.

Archived