A generational shift?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Weird... "Sex On Fire" works every time for us... and I've seen other local bands do it and have it go over great... go figure!

I watched a band play it about a month ago and the place exploded. Made me think about adding it.

• Members

somebody told me ran it's course with us cuz most of the guys hated playing it. the only way it would end up back in our set is if we pull it out by request and it goes over huge.

I wonder why they hated playing it. I think it's a fun song to play.

• Members

This is a topic that comes up at work regularly. I am in the one of the Army Bands and we do a lot of concerts every year (good guess would put it at 300+ gigs). Of those, a good percentage are rock concerts, and mostly take place in high schools, colleges, or playing for younger troops.

We try our best to cover all the genres, and all the decades. The question I think that must be asked is what is your audience? The high school kids don't usually want to hear (or even know) songs from the 60's, 70's, or 80's. We still play a few from those eras (Sweet Home Alabama, our version of My Girl, Play That Funky Music, etc.).

They usually want to hear newer music, but you have to really be able to sell it. Troops are not really much different from the high school and college kids, as they are about the same age.

IMO, it is all about knowing your audience, and knowing your bands capabilities. Above all, make sure you can have fun performing the music you have chosen, if not your audience will see and feel you discomfort and act accordingly.

Thanks,

Joe

• Members

Sure there is. There is tons of 60s and 70s music that is in soundtracks of popular movies and TV shows geared towards the 20-something crowd.

That's a GREAT idea for a source for songs. However, I would think the turnover would be even worse than Top 40 radio. Remember how "Rock and Roll Heart' by Clapton was used for a phone commercial 6 months or so ago. It's already off the radar...

• Members

That's a GREAT idea for a source for songs. However, I would think the turnover would be even worse than Top 40 radio. Remember how "Rock and Roll Heart' by Clapton was used for a phone commercial 6 months or so ago. It's already off the radar...

It's gotta be the right commercial, though. If its on an iPhone commercial, you're probably doin' pretty well.

Businesses have been using a lot of indie/alternative rock songs for commercials in the last couple years. Many of them may not work in a bar setting, though.

• Members

I wonder why they hated playing it. I think it's a fun song to play.

I don't know. I loved playing Somebody told me and take me out. Some of the other guys didn't.It was actually a struggle to get them to learn it in the first place! It was suggested by our singer and myself when the song was 1st released. It took like 3 years before we learned it cuz the other guys (especially our original guitar player and our female vocalist) just didn't hear the "hit." This has happened many times with many songs that went on to be huge hits (Let's Get It Started by the black eyed peas also comes to mind)

• Members

I don't know. I loved playing Somebody told me and take me out. Some of the other guys didn't.It was actually a struggle to get them to learn it in the first place! It was suggested by our singer and myself when the song was 1st released. It took like 3 years before we learned it cuz the other guys (especially our original guitar player and our female vocalist) just didn't hear the "hit." This has happened many times with many songs that went on to be huge hits (Let's Get It Started by the black eyed peas also comes to mind)

I get the feeling a lot of folks don't have their priorities straight when it comes to profitable cover bands. If you want to make money, you have to play what works, not what you may or may not personally like.

After all, I doubt all full-time orchestral musicians love every single piece that gets scheduled.

• Members

I get the feeling a lot of folks don't have their priorities straight when it comes to profitable cover bands. If you want to make money, you have to play what works, not what you may or may not personally like.

After all, I doubt all full-time orchestral musicians love every single piece that gets scheduled.

My experience is that quite often people who play in bands are:

1. Delusional

2. Think they're better than they really and don't have to play crowd friendly music but will draw a crowd based on their 'talent.'

3. Aren't at all familiar with the local scene.

4. Don't care

5. Just "wanna play cool music, man."

• Members

Play music that is dancable, If the ladies are into it the dudes will be cool with it because miss thing is shaking her ass. There are lots of classic rock/ disco/motowntunes that are very dancable and will always be a hit. You cant just play new tunes for new tunes sake " sex is on fire" is a cool tune but not very danceable, I see a lot of bands bring in new tunes but not really danceable tunes. Even if your a old married man its still about the girls dancing and getting into it otherwise you just end up with a sausage fest, playing cool {censored} to nobody.

• Members

Play music that is dancable, If the ladies are into it the dudes will be cool with it because miss thing is shaking her ass. There are lots of classic rock/ disco/motowntunes that are very dancable and will always be a hit. You cant just play new tunes for new tunes sake " sex is on fire" is a cool tune but not very danceable, I see a lot of bands bring in new tunes but not really danceable tunes. Even if your a old married man its still about the girls dancing and getting into it otherwise you just end up with a sausage fest, playing cool {censored} to nobody.

Great post. Yep, in the bar scene, it's all about getting the ladies out on the dance floor. That is my #1 goal (well, #2 goal...#1 is getting paid). I can save my "cool {censored}" for my own time, in another environment.

• Members

I agree for the most part

Our basic formula for a 10-2 night is developing as follows:

Set 1: Straight dance tunes as described - really our most cliche set.

Set 2: More rocking danceable tunes with some more crowd participation, sing along stuff

Set 3: More drunking sing along type stuff with dancy stuff mixed in

Coming to a weird final conclusion too that goes right back to middle school - ending with a slower song - right now it's What's Up by 4 Non Blondes. Still has the sing along quality, but lets couples grind on each other for 3-4 minutes.

• Members

I have the feeling that my taste in music will soon be just as relevent as Lawrence Welk.
:cry:
Oh well, I will just milk my 60s and 70s act for a few more years until the well dries up.

Max

I would not worry too much.... it will dry up about the time you dry up. I find that I am playing for the same crowd that I did when i was 18. We are all just older.

Archived