Dealing with another guitarist who wants to take all lead parts.

• Members

I play with my church and we have a guitarist who has been playing for about 3-4 years. Technically he's got some chops but he doesn't have the experience that the others as well as myself have; he has issues with timing, vibrato is shaky at best, and his ear training seems off. I've noticed lately while rehearsing, he would try out lead parts. So I gave a him a few solos and leads that I felt he could manage. Now I fear he's getting a bit of a bighead of it and is trying to take all the lead parts on songs. Now the intros for songs are weak as well as the leads are sounding inconsistent with the song. I understand there's a little leeway with interpreting music, but the guy prides himself on being "precise" and has been correcting my tabbed parts every chance he can get. Just yesterday we were practicing a song I played a lead part and played it along with the mp3 to make sure it matched up, it matched up and I thought that it was that. The other guitarist chimes in and says that the second to last note shouldn't be played that way. Already annoyed from earlier in the practice I tell him "Do you want that part then, since you tabbed it correctly?" He obviously takes it and the others in the band have a look someone opened a jar of pickles. Just nasty. No one said anything, and that's part of the problem too cause no one will call him out on it because he's also the bassist's family member. So, any advice on how to go about talking to him either individually or as a group to put him in place?

• Members

Your band director sucks if he's letting this kind of crap happen.

I did a stint in a praise/worship band and it's not supposed to work the way you describe.

You need that element of trust between members first of all.

Second, you need to as a team reward team accomplishments and banish all individual attention seeking efforts.

Your worship team is not a team right now, it's a bunch of guys/gals doing their own thing.

Your worship leader should be ashamed of his/herself for completely failing in his mission.

Build the team, and praise the Lord as a team. This guitarist you speak of is not a team player - he needs to be put in his place or put off the team, period.

• Members

I play with my church and we have a guitarist who has been playing for about 3-4 years. Technically he's got some chops but he doesn't have the experience that the others as well as myself have; he has issues with timing, vibrato is shaky at best, and his ear training seems off. I've noticed lately while rehearsing, he would try out lead parts. So I gave a him a few solos and leads that I felt he could manage. Now I fear he's getting a bit of a bighead of it and is trying to take all the lead parts on songs. Now the intros for songs are weak as well as the leads are sounding inconsistent with the song. I understand there's a little leeway with interpreting music, but the guy prides himself on being "precise" and has been correcting my tabbed parts every chance he can get. Just yesterday we were practicing a song I played a lead part and played it along with the mp3 to make sure it matched up, it matched up and I thought that it was that. The other guitarist chimes in and says that the second to last note shouldn't be played that way. Already annoyed from earlier in the practice I tell him "Do you want that part then, since you tabbed it correctly?" He obviously takes it and the others in the band have a look someone opened a jar of pickles. Just nasty. No one said anything, and that's part of the problem too cause no one will call him out on it because he's also the bassist's family member. So, any advice on how to go about talking to him either individually or as a group to put him in place?

Sounds like petty high school attitude crap, to me.

Grow a pair and call him out. Put it to a vote from the rest of the band.

Life is too short to play with people who suck (musically, or personally).

• Moderators

You could take him out back, kick him in the balls after rehearsal, put the FEAR in him...now he knows who the boss is...you can now rock...and he will be your little bitch....

This is type of reply is probably why you got banned... :wave:

I agree that te worship leader is failing you guys. That is part of their responsibility.

Another thing to consider doing would be: don't let him 'solo', write out harmonized guitar parts...that will force him to be with you, or it will be blatantly obvious he doesn't have it together. ;)

• Members

God?

;)

:lol:

Good answer. :thu:

But that's exactly why the fail is so strong in this story.

We're only hearing one side of the story, but if he is to be believed there is:

nepotism

pride

jealousy

resentment

None of these things has any place in a worship setting - it's a distraction and it robs the people in the congregation of the worship that they could be receiving.

I know my old P&W outfit wouldn't have tolerated any one of these things, let alone all of them in combination.

• Members

Dude, don't let it get to you. Water off a duck's back. Just lay back and let him either blossom or wither. We all remember a time early on, when we thought we were better than we were, just from the sheer rush of playing music, can't we? He sounds threatened by you. And you by him, but in a different way. Just use some humility and relax...let the boy do his thing and smile at his youth. The big head thing will either go away or it will become a serious problem.

Now if it becomes a problem and he starts pushing you around, which your post sounds like he is on the verge of, you have the right to stand up for yourself. But for now, just relax, be patient and give him the rope. If it comes to a head, deal with it on on one away from everyone else. And don't let YOUR ego tell you that your "underling" is getting out of hand. That can be just as dangerous as junior's shenanigans....

Good luck!

• Members

If you don't tell him exactly how you feel, then you are lying to him.

You can do it with sensitivity, but the fact is that you want to play some solos and he should be cool with that. Further, I'd remind him that being critical of others isn't exactly Biblical:

Romans 12:16

Live in harmony with each other. Don

• Members

You can do it with sensitivity, but the fact is that you want to play some solos and he should be cool with that. Further, I'd remind him that being critical of others isn't exactly Biblical:

• Members

That's what the worship leader is supposed to do, and he is obviously asleep at the switch.

Gotcha. We don't have one of those. We have different bands that play every week. I imagine that would be a challenge if we had to do it every week.

• Members

• Members

by John Bartus:

but as long as people are in charge, politics and BS aren't usually far behind

Its a shame that is true, but it is. One joke I heard about churches and organized religion in general went something like this:

"The only difference between people in church and the drunks in a bar room is the people in church are still sober"

Just because its a church environment we shouldn't expect it to be any different than anywhere in a secular environment, not these days.

This situation is an old fashion power struggle and its just a matter of deciding if you are going to put up with it or not. Personally, if I am going to go to "church" and get aggravated, I'd find another church. If its just this one guy then one of you has too leave, otherwise problems will continue.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived