A not so deep Friday thread...

Ryan.

• Members

Label on stage...

For me I always have an ice cold coors light and a luke warm bottle of water next to me.

Yours?
:wave:

If I'm in a club it's usually a Fat Tire or a Sammy. My drummer sucks down Tuaca like it's water. If it's a wedding or something where we don't want to be seen drinking on stage, I carry a bottle of Black Velvet to spice up my cola.

• Moderators

These days, generally water, as the WA liquor board has decided to enforce a law that states that while you're onstage you're technically an employee of the venue and not allowed to drink. Sucks, I know, but I think it's gonna be thrown out soon.

In the past, or in the few venues where I can still get away with it: a pour of any decent bourbon or scotch and a glass of water, or if it's sweltering, a gin and tonic. If I'm not singing, I might just have a beer. I have learned singing plus beer is a no-no.

• Members

In the olden days (1977 to about 1989) I used to tap a new bottle of Cuervo 1800 at every gig. I would share with the crowd, especially if they didn't believe it was tequila. I moved towards MGD and shots of Patrone and now I have Beam & Coke and water (mostly Beam & Coke). Premixed into plastic water bottles for quick deployment into my mic stand mounted drink holder. My drummer is a Lite Beer guy and the guitarist is a Crown Royal and Lite Beer stage drinker.

• Members

I don't drink before or during a show. Afterward maybe a couple Guinness or a nice glass of
Maker's
on the rocks.

Would you be interested in becoming a Maker's Mark Ambassador? I've been one since 2000 and I went to the distillery to receive my personal signed bottles taken from my barrel. If you are interested PM me. I'll send you the application and I'll sponsor your appointment.

• Members

Usually whatever some poor guy in the front row was holding a minute ago.

On another happy Friday note, just read an article about how the music media is pissing themselves because Iron Maiden's new record is #1 in the UK and #4 in the US with ZERO radio airplay, hardly any press, no social-media marketing, no blog buzz, yadda yadda.

Those {censored}ing pricks are just beside themselves because these 60 year old metal heads came out and shoved it all the way up their Vampire Weekend holes.

When I grow up I want to be Iron {censored}ing Maiden!

• Members

I think there must be some sort of genetic pre-disposition to liking Iron Maiden.

I don't have the Iron Maiden gene.

"RuUuUuUuUnUnNn To The HiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIlls...." Nope. I never got it.

I like a couple of their tunes, Flight of Icarus has always been a favorite, but they were always too serious for me or something. I always like music to have a light-hearted side. I think that's why I gravitated towards AC/DC and Kiss and Van Halen/DLR. I think that's also why I like rap so much, there's just a silliness about it:

"I'm all that and then some

Tall dark and handsome

Bust a nut inside your eye

To show you where I come from"

I mean, what's better than that.

Back on topic. When I do drink, I'm a bourbon and beer kinda guy. Though beer trashes my voice, so usually it's a shot or two during the show and a ton of water for me.

• Members

I think there must be some sort of genetic pre-disposition to liking Iron Maiden.

I don't have the Iron Maiden gene.

"RuUuUuUuUnUnNn To The HiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIiIlls...." Nope. I never got it.

I can't say you'd be wrong. I liked Steve Harris a lot and learned a lot from him as a bass player when I was a kid. Can't say I've listened to them in forever though.

I did see some live stuff on VH1 recently and I will say they are UNREAL for their age. Also, did you see their bar tab from Norway that made it into the press last week? MAD RESPECT!!!

http://clatl.com/cribnotes/archives/2010/08/20/iron-maiden-will-drink-you-under-the-table

• Members

With Maiden I just could never listen to that over-vibrato'd singing long enough to get into it. And so much of heavy metal music was always just so Spinal Tap-y for me that I could never take it seriously. The more "serious" they were, the funnier I found it.

But I have always been much more of a pop music guy. And yeah. AC/DC kicks ass. Especially the Bon Scott stuff. Love it.

As far as Iron Maiden debuting at #1? Says much more about the state of industry than anything particularly about the band. For one thing, it takes far less units sold than it used to be #1 these days. And for another, most IM fans probably aren't big digital downloaders.

And these records generally have no staying power. These dinosaur rock bands always seem to debut at #1 and then are off the charts completely in a month.

• Members

I did see some live stuff on VH1 recently and I will say they are UNREAL for their age.

Hats off to ANYBODY still doing it and doing it well. Don't take to it mean I don't respect those guys and their career. I do. Just not my cup of tea.

Also, did you see their bar tab from Norway that made it into the press last week? MAD RESPECT!!!

:thu:

• Members

Me: Bass ale or Sam Adams or anything they have on tap that's good. Sometimes JD on the rocks. I always have a bottle or 2 of water in my bag.

Bass: Coke, very occasionally beer

Singer: water

Other Guitar: Water (Never seen these 2 guys drink at a gig at all)

Drummer: scotch on the rocks or a Bud Light

Some of the places we play give us up to $50 or $60 worth of bar tab so it's nice for me and my drummer because we can drink our fill and never worry about going over the limit.

• Members

As far as Iron Maiden debuting at #1? Says much more about the state of industry than anything particularly about the band. For one thing, it takes far less units sold than it used to be #1 these days. And for another, most IM fans probably aren't big digital downloaders.

And these records generally have no staying power. These dinosaur rock bands always seem to debut at #1 and then are off the charts completely in a month.

Really?

I think the thing you also have to consider is what it says about the state of both the music and radio industries:

You can knock the band's age, relevancy to today's average music buyer, etc. all you want, but Iron Maiden have legion of dedicated fans around the globe who WILL BUY the music & merch they put out year after year after year...

EVERY year.

To me, this shows that a band with a proven track record, who gives their fans what they want, can be as or even more financially successful (and stable) than any of the cookie-cutter new-this-week flavor of the minute acts that the music industry keeps cranking out, and the radio industry keeps supporting.

I could be wrong on that, but I'll wait until you can show me Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga maintaining and flying their own private 757 in between shows instead of renting Gulfstream 5s...

;)

• Members

I was at a Highland Games festival a few weeks back and they had a celtic-rock band in the beer tent. These guys closed with a celtic-flavoured Run To The Hills. Awesome. The crowd sang along and ate it up.

This is the only link I could find, not the same response by the crowd when you

• Members

Really?

I think the thing you also have to consider is what it says about the state of both the
music and radio industries
:

You can knock the band's age, relevancy to today's average music buyer, etc. all you want, but Iron Maiden have legion of dedicated fans around the globe who WILL BUY the music & merch they put out year after year after year...

EVERY
year.

Yeah, but that's a LOT of old bands. They put out an album, their legion of old fans run out and buy the new album in the first week, and then it disappears. That's GREAT that they have a loyal following aging along with them but, like I said, is has a lot more to do with the state of the industry. Iron Maiden NEVER had a #1 album (I don't think) back when they had a lot more fans 25 years ago. Because it took a lot more sales to get to #1 back then than it does now.

Like I said, that's great. More power to them. But I don't think they have any magic formula that is leaving the industry scratching their heads, or thinking they need to scrap the Gagas and Beibers in favor of more bands featuring old men in tights. It just shows the aging of the CD buying public.

It's a dying format.

To me, this shows that a band with a proven track record, who gives their fans what they want, can be as or even more financially successful (and stable) than any of the cookie-cutter new-this-week flavor of the minute acts that the music industry keeps cranking out, and the radio industry keeps supporting.

There's ALWAYS been that way though. Wayne Newton and Tom Jones still pack 'em in to big profits in Vegas. Just like they were doing back when Iron Maiden was just another cookie-cutter heavy metal band the music industry was cranking out. Doesn't mean they are the business model for the future. Their audiences are aging with them. That's great they have old fans that still love them but it says nothing really about the relative value of younger acts. It's a different market.

Are Gaga and Beiber flash-in-the-pans who will be completely gone in 5 years? Probably. Then again, SOMEBODY'S gonna have to be filling the Vegas showrooms once Cher and Wayne Newton finally croak.

Archived