Wow... this was kind of depressing

Lee Flier

• Members

So I guess using Wades logic...driving far away to play clubs with a bad vibe, whores and drugs....is a no no. He prefers a nice regular schedule of playing local clubs, that no doubt have a bad vibe, drugs, and whores, that way he can find a good balance with his family and day job.

Not like you'd know one way or another, mr. bandless wonder.

You're on my ignore list now.

Now go practice for {censored}s sake.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you are just reading way too much between the lines of what I said...

I was using an example..

I meant "succeed" as it pertained to the specific example of a band that doesn't WANT to play B rooms...

Success to
any
band is obviously getting to the next level OR maintaining the status-quo they've accomplished for themselves, or wahtever stepping stone GOAL they've set for themselves.

"Fools-gold" is the local band playing a B-room talking about the next level going to LA and getting signed and being up to their eyeballs in whores, coke, and cash.

I must be on a weird mix of drugs and alcohol, because I find myself agreeing way too much with Wade today.

Here's my analogy, and I've used it before. I am a type 'A' always looking for something better personality. I agree with Kramerguy in terms of what MY definition of success is. Both in music and in life. I'm always looking to make more money, have more responsibility, etc. etc.

However, I regularly go to small-town Indiana (10 miles from where they shot Hoosiers) where my wife is from, and I hang with a bunch of her highschool buddies. Many of them have never been 200 miles from home in their life. They make 25K a year shoveling {censored} or whatever, live in what I consider to be a small, broke down home and drive a beat up pickup truck. BUT THEY'RE HAPPY and content with their lives. And at times, I envy them. In their minds, they've succeeded.

I want my band to become a $30K ish a year second job for me. That would be my definition of "success". Some people want to play tunes they like for people they like a couple times a month and the $75 they make is gravy. For me, success in music is directly related to the goals that the individuals in the band are trying to attain.

• Members

So I guess using Wades logic...driving far away to play clubs with a bad vibe, whores and drugs....is a no no. He prefers a nice regular schedule of playing local clubs, that no doubt have a bad vibe, drugs, and whores, that way he can find a good balance with his family and day job.

Whar U a-playin', snakeskin?

• Members

[YOUTUBE]Hq4R89Ub1-U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ocvme6Xhy30[/YOUTUBE]

I think live shows are well and alive, but not as good as past years because people are jobless and pinching pennies and only go to see big names or entertaining locals. I've seen young kids pack these smaller venues however and they put on a hell of show. In my old band we brought 50+ people the first show we ever played & steadily grew from there(broke up due to band drama tho :/ ), but i've seen other locals do even better than that starting out.

I think a lot of it also has to do with how few & far between entertaining bands are these days, with a computer, a mic, and a few software packages anyone can make music, but I think a lot fail when it comes to stage presence. If you look at the rob zombie clip his vocals are awful, but that old {censored}er can still pack the house(granted it's a fest and a few other big bands were there) because he puts on a show and is entertaining.

I can't count the number of bands I've seen just kinda stand there, hands in their pocket type of deal. It's boring, I don't pay good money to see that & neither does anyone else.

But i've heard some of your guys music(the ones with sigs anyway) and I don't see why you too can't pack a house, you're all obviously talented, I just wonder what you look like live?

are you engaging the crowd? are you making personal connections to your fans? are you looking the part? are you actively moving around or trying to minimize movement to sound/play perfect? are you vehemently selling tix & advertising before the show?

I've seen some sorry ass bands that to this day bring at least 80-100 ppl a show, I don't see why none of you can? talent isn't the issue so... :idk:

• Members

Guido instead of starting another pissing match thread, why don't you post a link to your guitar playing virtuosity....

Ignoring the oxymoron that your above statement is for the moment...

A) I'm a keyboard player.

B) My guitar playing skills already at-least equaled yours in 1979 when I had been playing 3 years and realized I wasn't a good enough guitarist to do anything significant with my guitar playing.

C) By 1979, 3 years into my average guitar playing abilities, I had already FAR exceeded, in both quantity and quality, the number of gigs you have--or will likely ever---play. By 2010, it's completely laughable to even pretend to compare.

D) As I told you previously, you can find me playing guitar on my band's website if such pissing matches are really THAT important to you. Extremely average playing that exceeds what you've posted.

And I probably make more money in my day job and have a better looking wife than you do as well.

• Members

Guido instead of starting another pissing match thread, why don't you post a link to your guitar playing virtuosity....

Isn't it time for you to log off, do a spliff, eat your version of an afternoon snack and get back to gaming in your parent's basement?

Archived