Wow... this was kind of depressing

Lee Flier

• Members
Better to ask an insane small plane pilot who can't play his way out of a wet paper bag and thinks blues jams are the height of musical nirvana, I suppose.

I thought this was backstage with
the band
, not
the banned

:lol:

Now you went and did it ,,, you called his plane small lol. :thu:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:lol:

My stock comment to the small airplane crack was always ,, well since its so small ,, why dont you fill up the fuel tanks for me ,,,, whats a little jet A to a rock star like you lol. Its a little plane ,, only burns 90 gals an hour lol

• Members

Succeed.....what does that mean exactly?

Too often on this forum the ideal is put forth that a band must "engage the crowd" and "bring the party"; the implication being that bands that don't do this are inferior.

I'm sorry but that's some jive-ass {censored} right there.

I never meant to make that implication. I was saying that you go to a local bar, you get a local band. If a band wants to play the "A" clubs, they have to put on a "show". You have assumed that by show I meant jumping all over the stage acting like cokeheads-

Steely Dan puts on a show - the whole motif , fagan sitting on a stool in a smoky lounge kind of atmosphere, looking engaged and solemn.. it's all about "BRAND", something else we're discussed here ad-nauseum.

Maybe I could ahve worded that better, but my point was that most "local bar bands" are guys in t-shirts who just stand there and deliver. Nothing notably wrong with them, they can be decent and even entertaining in a way only local bands are- but they lack the 'brand' to take any special notice. The band that comes along and has the right brand for the right crowd, will still succeed more measurably than the 'local band'.

And by succeed, I mean, get into the "A" clubs, as stated by their own short or long term goals (getting out of B clubs should be the next goal on the list for ANY band playing in B clubs, right?)

• Members

success is whatever you want it to be. Last night we were talking and for us, we are "graduating" to what we see as better clubs. Slowly... but it's happening. We were talking about some of the hole in the walls that we used to play at and right now we can't see playing them again. So that to me is a successful thing for us.

I don't see us as an "A list band" yet and maybe we never will be be but we are always trying to make our show better and better. Every year we try and make it bettre than before. October we will be celebrating 8 years together. I wish we were a little higher on the local cover band ladder, but we are still going so that's cool. :thu:

• Members

This thread is funny because i'm exactly the opposite! I like Live recordings and usually acoustic and or stripped down of all the excess crap. I like to hear the live vibe and prefer it almost always over the studio version. However, I do not listen to anyone who isn't skilled on their instruments and can't bring it vocally. Why would anyone? :confused:

• Members

And by succeed, I mean, get into the "A" clubs, as stated by their own short or long term goals (getting out of B clubs should be the next goal on the list for ANY band playing in B clubs, right?)

Not necessarily. I know some bands are perfectly happy playing the local dive (or dives), week after week, year after year, especially the older groups (members in their late 40s/50s). It's a comfortable existence for them. They know what they're going to do, people that come see them know what they're going to get. It's a win-win, at least from their perspective.

• Members

I skimmed through a bunch of this thread, but wasn't able to read the whole thing, so I hope I'm not repeating stuff here.

For decades now there's been more people that listen to recorded music than go to shows. Some people just lead a more restricted lifestyle with kids and overtime at work. Getting to a show unfortunately isn't a high priority for them when they've got a zillion songs on their ipod. I think bands that can't pull it off live could be part of the problem. But it's not the only problem.

I had a pest control guy out to my house a couple weeks ago and when he saw my studio he flipped. Huge music fan. Wanted to discuss cables and headphones with me. He's got studio quality gear at home just to listen to music. And he tells me he hasn't been to a show in 20 years. Simply because he doesn't have the time or money. Of course I encouraged him to change that habit. :)

My mentor was working with Beyonce a few years ago. She was playing one of the giant venues in LA. She was all flipped out because only 20,000 people bought tickets for the show. She had sold something like 150,000 CDs in that market and couldn't understand why more people didn't want to see the show. Of course, the venue only held 20,000, so it was sold out. But that shows you the ratio of people that will bother to go see a live show.

• Members
I agree that you don't have to be a party band, but you do have to engage the crowd. This doesn't mean creating a circus, but even a good Jazz band engages the crowd, they just do it via their musicianship. There's a million ways to get the crowd interested in what you are doing. However, if you consistently play to apathetic crowds, your band is inferior to one that can go into that same room and engage the audience into what they are doing.

:thu:

• Members

No.

That's fools gold, sometimes.

Hours, drive time, a bad vibe, drugs, whores....some guys don't want to "move up" into "party rooms" that are packed with drunk college kids, or wind up playing from 10-2am.

My goal is to have a steady calendar of gigs that don't require a lot of back and forth, having them booked well in advance, and having minimal impact on work and family time.

• Members
I skimmed through a bunch of this thread, but wasn't able to read the whole thing, so I hope I'm not repeating stuff here.

For decades now there's been more people that listen to recorded music than go to shows. Some people just lead a more restricted lifestyle with kids and overtime at work. Getting to a show unfortunately isn't a high priority for them when they've got a zillion songs on their ipod. I think bands that can't pull it off live could be part of the problem. But it's not the only problem.

I had a pest control guy out to my house a couple weeks ago and when he saw my studio he flipped. Huge music fan. Wanted to discuss cables and headphones with me. He's got studio quality gear at home just to listen to music. And he tells me he hasn't been to a show in 20 years. Simply because he doesn't have the time or money. Of course I encouraged him to change that habit.
:)

My mentor was working with Beyonce a few years ago. She was playing one of the giant venues in LA. She was all flipped out because only 20,000 people bought tickets for the show. She had sold something like 150,000 CDs in that market and couldn't understand why more people didn't want to see the show. Of course, the venue only held 20,000, so it was sold out. But that shows you the ratio of people that will bother to go see a live show.

What's kind of interesting is you have people happy that three drunks show up to a gig and others need to see 20,000....

• Members

Another intelligent post from Pat Coast... ...I think the only well thought out missive I have ever heard from you is that rambling post detailing your musical career downfall... So maybe 22000 posts later, all you have to offer musically, is to allow others to see you for the train wreck you are. No wonder I got you pegged as another bitter old timer out to make everyone else pay for your mistakes.

• Members

Sorry, pal...I know you probably wrote some screed filled with wisdom and light, but since you're on my ignore list, I can't read it so you're just pissing in the wind if you're responding to me.

One thing is for sure, though.. if you spent half the time and energy practicing and putting a band together that you do finding ways to keep coming back here to troll, you'd be Joe Satriani by now.

What perverse pleasure do you get from coming back repeatedly to a forum where not a single person welcomes you or agrees with anything you say? What a sad, sad life you must live. :cry:

• Members

Pat...what can we derive from a post count of 22000? I am starting to come to grips with the idea that maybe your just nuts...and can't be reasoned with....maybe your one of those punch drunk musicians, having spent 30 years pounding away cheap beer, breathing second hand smoke in dark dingy bars...you probably lost half your hearing because 'loud is how you got tone'...so now your here, haunting the forums...logging in long enough to call someone a name because at the end of it all..you have nothing to offer...

• Members

...as compared to video taping your self in your backyard wearing a robe. Never once performing in public but I have to assume you are still pounding the cheap beer. Only thing is, you have to buy it yourself. I imagine you put the videos on every night and cheer yourself in the privacy of your own house. Not even your son will play with you. Heck, your son won

• Members

No.

That's fools gold, sometimes.

Hours, drive time, a bad vibe, drugs, whores....some guys don't want to "move up" into "party rooms" that are packed with drunk college kids, or wind up playing from 10-2am.

My goal is to have a steady calendar of gigs that don't require a lot of back and forth, having them booked well in advance, and having minimal impact on work and family time.

you are just reading way too much between the lines of what I said...

I was using an example..

I meant "succeed" as it pertained to the specific example of a band that doesn't WANT to play B rooms...

Success to any band is obviously getting to the next level OR maintaining the status-quo they've accomplished for themselves, or wahtever stepping stone GOAL they've set for themselves.

"Fools-gold" is the local band playing a B-room talking about the next level going to LA and getting signed and being up to their eyeballs in whores, coke, and cash.

Archived