CMA Awards last night: It's hard to believe that Taylor Swift wasn't named...

New Trail

• Members

Stevie Nicks sounds like a bleating, dying sheep.

I have
never
heard Taylor Swift sound good, unless there was some "audio processing" going on. She played the Jubilee Fest in Montgomery, and her lack of vocal skill was so
offensive
, I wanted to go over to the soundboard and turn off her mic.

I see.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used the term "offensive" in my last post and that is exactly how I feel about "new country".

The homogenized sound, autotuned vocals, insipid lyrics, and just the entire formula completely offends me, as a musician and a music-lover.

Give me Buck Owens, George Jones, and Conway Twitty,
any
day, over that new {censored}.

+1000

I think the operative term there is "formula". Which, of course, exists in all genres to some degree or another. But it, at least to my sensibilities, seems much more obvious in 'new country' than in any other genre.

• Members
I used the term "offensive" in my last post and that is exactly how I feel about "new country".

The homogenized sound, autotuned vocals, insipid lyrics, and just the entire formula completely offends me, as a musician and a music-lover.

any

I prefer Canned Heat over John Mayer and late 60s Stone over Shinedown as well.

• Members

any

:thu:

That vid you posted is the first time I'd ever seen a live performance of Taylor's. Stevie Nicks is actually one of my heroes. That being the case, I was embarassed for Stevie, thinking, how sad a day it is when the greats of old join the top artists of new and it comes out sounding like that.

• Members
Love Dwight Yoakam. Especially with Pete Anderson. But we're really talking 15-20 years ago since Dwight was a serious player in the business.

Besides, Dwight was never about Nashville. His stuff was mostly all recorded in LA.

true, but he is the purest popular country in the last couple decades, IMO.

• Members

you ever see Yoakum with Pete in the band?

Nope. Probably because of my pretty narrow mind when it comes to country music. I am probably missing out on some good stuff but I was so turned off by it that I almost completely shut it out. Seriously, the ONLY even remotely country I've ever owned was Willie Nelson stuff.

• Members

I don't care for Taylor Swift but I think from a business standpoint Tayor Swift is the biggest thing to happen to Modern Country music since Shania Twain,and will prove in time to be even bigger
A) She is very young,and i think she has the potential to appeal to a fanbase of young girls who are too old for Miley Cyrus, yet find her 'Cool' and buy CD's,MP3's and go to concerts and will buy swag..........and that is a BIG BIG fanbase,and from a financial standpoint a very lucrative fanbase

B)Her songs are about teenage life and love,and her music while kinda /sorta has roots in country,it certainly has MASS crossover appeal. I hear her tunes on the local country stations,the top 40 stations as well as the 'lite rock' stations.That kind of appeal is RARE and money in the bank as well

C) She comes across as very independent,and writes her own music.This i think strikes a big chord in the 20 something female crowd. She also had a fling with John Mayer and was the 'victim' in that relationship and THAT helps her standing with this crowd,as well as being insulted by Kanye West. that got her a great deal of sympathy as well

D) She appeals to men,all ages. She is one of these rare people who can by turns look very young and innocent,and next turn look very 'grown up'.

Sadly her vocal ability or lack thereof isnt an issue :facepalm:

• Members

Why all the hate? The performances weren't perfect, but I thought they were fine for a live awards show. I mean, the general public isn't going to know the difference anyway, and I imagine it must be tough to get properly warmed up for just two songs, what with all the chaos and schedule uncertainly backstage.

• Members

you ever see Yoakum with Pete in the band?

Dwight was great. So was John Anderson, Joe Diffie, Keith Whitley, and Vern Gosdin.

Even (and I can't believe I am saying this) Garth Brooks is a million times better than these generic jackwagons that are the current hitmakers.

That was evidenced by a short medley of hits on the 2008 ACM awards. He came out after a parade of embarrassingly out-of-tune "singers", along with the in-tune, but completely vanilla Carrie Underwood, and he then proceeded to completely blow the roof off the joint, even after having been retired for several years. He probably gave the younger artists a lot of doubts about their "talents".

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x60x0s_garth-brooks-medley_music

• Members

Dwight was great. So was John Anderson, Joe Diffie, Keith Whitley, and Vern Gosdin.

One of the best shows I ever saw back in the late 80s was Yoakam with a just-recently-signed Clint Black opening for him. That dude can SERIOUSLY sing! Truthfully, he stole the show from Yoakam and...I don't know whether it was related or not ---but he didn't open for too many shows after that.

• Members
One of the best shows I ever saw back in the late 80s was Yoakam with a just-recently-signed Clint Black opening for him. That dude can SERIOUSLY sing! Truthfully, he stole the show from Yoakam and...I don't know whether it was related or not ---but he didn't open for too many shows after that.

Clint can seriously play too, especially country-blues stuff.

• Members

Why all the hate? The performances weren't perfect, but I thought they were fine for a live awards show. I mean, the general public isn't going to know the difference anyway, and I imagine it must be tough to get properly warmed up for just two songs, what with all the chaos and schedule uncertainly backstage.

Bull{censored}...real singers can go out on any stage, at any time (unless they are sick or intoxicated :p) and give a good performance.

It's called being a professional.

A professional shouldn't rely on piece of digital trickery to cover up the fact that you you can't sing in pitch.

Besides...all performances on awards shows have been through a week of rehearsals. Who are the idiots that run these shows? Do they think Taylor Swift will magically have a great voice by the night of the show? Couldn't they have patched her into an auto-tune processor, as to not embarrass her, the dickheads who signed her to a recording contract, her fans, and everyone else invloved?

(grrrr :mad: auto-tune is obviously a very sore subject for me...it has pretty much destroyed popular music, IMO)

• Members
Bull{censored}
...real singers can go out on any stage, at any time (unless they are sick or intoxicated
:p
) and give a good performance.

It's called being a professional.

A professional shouldn't rely on piece of digital trickery to cover up the fact that you you can't sing in pitch.

Besides...all performances on awards shows have been through a week of rehearsals. Who are the idiots that run these shows? Do they think Taylor Swift will magically have a great voice by the night of the show? Couldn't they have patched her into an auto-tune processor, as to not embarrass her, the dickheads who signed her to a recording contract, her fans, and everyone else invloved?

(grrrr
:mad:
auto-tune is obviously a very sore subject for me...it has pretty much destroyed popular music, IMO)

I'm thinking you mainly don't like her. I've heard a ton of huge stars/singers sing a little off key in live settings.

• Members
Real singers can go out on any stage, at any time (unless they are sick or intoxicated
:p
) and give a good performance.

Relax, dude. It *was* in fact a "good" performance, believe it or not.

I don't recall the young lady claiming to be Aretha Franklin or anything.

Anyway, I'll stop there.

• Members

Taylor Swift was Entertainer of the Year and Female Vocalist of the Year last year, according to Wikipedia. I have no problem with Brad Paisley winning Entertainer of the Year this year... I just question how Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert could win Male and Female Vocalist.

On the other hand.. do awards shows really even matter that much? Public opinion isn't usually swayed all that much by them, is it?

not sure about him, but she is really good singer when she wants to be:

[YOUTUBE]mp3AXPK0nGc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm thinking you mainly don't like her. I've heard a ton of huge stars/singers sing a little off key in live settings.

I don't like anybody who relies on autotune to make their career.

A "little" off key? She wouldn't even make it past the first round of American Idol, if she trotted her unadulterated voice out on that stage.

In her clip, Miranda Lambert, was occasionally a "little" off-key.

Taylor was over a half-step flat in much of her video.

• Members
I don't like
anybody
who relies on autotune to make their career.

A "little" off key? She wouldn't even make it past the first round of American Idol, if she trotted her unadulterated voice out on that stage.

In her clip, Miranda Lambert, was occasionally a "little" off-key.

Taylor was over a half-step flat in much of her video.

couldn't tell ya. Never watched a single minute of American Idol. I think it would turn my stomach. I did catch Nashville Star a number of times.

• Members

any

I dont think swift is very good ,, but I wont thow stones at modern country ,, its about the only thing new on the radio that I like these days.

Archived