What new (to you) cover tunes are y'all working on lately?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any good crossover tunes you can recommend for a mostly rock band?

Since joining my current band, I've managed to squeeze in a couple (barely) country tunes. We have Hicktown by Jason Aldean, and Whistlin' Dixie by Randy Houser in the queue for the next batch of tunes to learn.

• Members

The last one we learned was Tik Tok by Ke$ha from memory. Goes over great.

New ones to work on are Taylor Swifts new one..."Story of Us" i think its called (iffy on this one), Animal - Neon Trees, ANother Ke$ha tune (maybe your love is my drug) and The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars.

• Members

I play in an original band, but I'm learning DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames as part 1 of getting my chops back in shape this summer. Meedley meedly meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Sweet! Power Metal! (see my facebook post on Kamelot... hehehe)

• Members

Here are a few we've picked up in the past couple months:

Muse - Uprising
.....we've only done it twice, but it went over great both times

Cee Lo - F You
.....goes over HUGE; we usually get asked to do it a second time. (Or maybe it sucks so bad, they're giving us a chance to redeem ourselves.
:)
)

Good to hear, I would like to both of those tunes.

We are currently learning Hell Yeah by Rev Theory

• Members

Muse - Uprising

Cee Lo - F You

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

One of our singers is huge into Muse and wants to do Uprising, but the rest of aren't really into it. Might have to add it though since a lot of folks seem to be doing well with it. We did KOL for a bit but we just couldn't sell it because none of us really liked it. And I think it's just a matter of time before we have to do F You.

Anyone doing Crazy by Gnarles? Our chick singer saw a vid of Pink doing it and really wants to play it now.

• Members

We were working on Possum Kingdom and What the Hell before we got a new drummer. Now we're just trying to get him up to speed.

remember to use getting the new drummer up to speed as a good reason to get rid of anything that isn't working well. We did that every time we got a new guitar player. which between 2002 and 2006 was almost every year to year and a half. :lol:

• Members

We're working up:

A mashup of Hello by Dragonette and My Sharona (I'm thinking of tagging S&M onto the end of this)

A mashup of Swing Swing by All American Rejects and With or Without You

We're toying with adding Photograph as well

• Members

We were working on Possum Kingdom and What the Hell before we got a new drummer. Now we're just trying to get him up to speed.

We do What The Hell in the middle of a medley with We Got The Beat and Hey Mickey. Goes over really well for us.

• Members

We did Possum Kingdom for a year in rehearsals before getting out of the basement. I used to sing it, but when our new singer came in he took it over. He's been having some timing issues with it so we've yet to play it out. It's been stashed in our 3rd set and the singer has "waved it off" every gig so far. I'm wondering how it will go over, assuming we ever actually get to play it.

• Members

The most recent ones we learned are:

Rolling in the Deep- Adele

Photograph- Def Leppard

These are on my "consider" list right now. How they going over for you?

Paris- Grace Potter

This one is doing pretty well for us, although we don't do it at every show because it's not widely known. But we mash it up with "Lady Marmalade" and people really dig that.

• Members

I originally suggested Uprising a while back but the other guys shot it down. That was before our new singer came in though, and he's a big Muse fan. He and I sorta ganged up on the band and got them to try Starlight and it's sounding pretty good and growing on the other guys. The crowd so far has seemed to tolerate our attempts! ;)

• Members

These are on my "consider" list right now. How they going over for you?

This one is doing pretty well for us, although we don't do it at every show because it's not widely known. But we mash it up with "Lady Marmalade" and people really dig that.

Rolling is a 1st set tune for us, early in the set as an attention grabber. It's gone over pretty well so far, what I'd expect for where we're placing it. Photograph I've been putting early in the last set and it's gone over great at the last 2 gigs.

• Members

We do Roiling in the Deep for the acoustic thing. We're bringing it to the full band ASAP.

That's one advantage of having an acoustic shoot off... three of us will already know the ins and outs of a song so they seem to come together quicker with the full band.

• Members

hmm, that Pink cover of Crazy is pretty good, right up our alley. I'm going to suggest that one. I had the original version on a list of potentials somewhere a while back, this one will fit us nicely.

• Members

Some of you mentioned Possum Kingdom. We've been doing it almost every gig for the last couple years (current band and past). Crowds seem to tolerate it, but not much more. There are usually a few dudes bobbing their heads and singing along but that's about it. We've been holding on to it so long mainly because we kick ass on it (esp our singer) but I think we decided last night to move it to the reserve list, where I'm sure it'll eventually whither and die considering all the cool new stuff we're bringing in.

Grant, that video...AWESOME!
:thu:

Agreed!

Archived