What new (to you) cover tunes are y'all working on lately?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd think Crazy would be more of a party song, where Rolling is more of a listening song. I probably wouldn't run them together. We don't do any mash up stuff where we do a part of 1 song, go to another and then back to the 1st, back to the 2nd etc. It's more segues from one song to another.

• Members

I'd think Crazy would be more of a party song, where Rolling is more of a listening song. I probably wouldn't run them together. We don't do any mash up stuff where we do a part of 1 song, go to another and then back to the 1st, back to the 2nd etc. It's more segues from one song to another.

My concern about "Crazy" would be that the song is about 5 years old now and therefore might sit in that netherworld of not-new/not-yet-classic tunes. But that Pink cover rocks for sure and, like for you, would be right up our alley as well. So I think I gonna see if it might work to run 'em together---start with "Rolling" to drag 'em in and then rock 'em out with "Crazy" at the end.

• Members

Rolling in the Deep - Adele
Lazy Song - Bruno Mars
Dirt Road Anthem - Jason Aldean

The Aldean song kills a couple birds for us, we always get asked for more country and we needed a slower song.

• Members
Grant, that video...AWESOME!
:thu:

jamieb

+++++

Thanks... I like this one even better. http://www.vimeo.com/14540061 I actually had the idea of how I was going to use that shot (slow panning from behind) as I was taking the footage. I find inspiration in little things. :D

One good thing about having a mascot who'll dress up in costume for your songs... it always adds a new dynamic.

• Members

We are rolling three out tonight and working on three more next week

Tonight

Adele - Rolling in the Deep (It's gonna be a first set singer show-off tune...if the crowd is ready to party it gets skipped)

Enrique - Tonight I'm F*$king You (I predict this will do well for a while)

Katy Perry / Kanye West - ET (probably do good since the song is still on the chart...doubt it has much legs)

Next Week:

Rihanna - S&M

Los Lonely Boys - Heaven (another first set head bobber...our guitar player has been bugging us to do it)

Foo Fighters - Let It Die

• Members

We do Rolling in the Deep, have had it in rotation for a month, month.5 or so. It goes over well, despite a male vocal and being transposed down 2 steps. Maybe because of that too, I dunno :p We up the tempo just a bit, and I put some dirt on the rhythm guitar, makes it more rock-ish and helps the male vocal sound more believable IMO. We also start with the kick hits, and then add in a more powerful snare and bouncy hi-hats at the point where the kick starts in the Adele version...

People either know and like the song, or they don't know it but it grooves so well that they get up and dance anyway. We hav eonly had a few people complain that we "ruined" it :D

• Members

We rocked it up a bit too and also picked the tempo up a few ticks. We'll see how it does. We have a female singer (my wife) who has a strong rangy voice, so I'm thinking it will do just fine. Some crowds are ready to be punched in the mouth from the first beat, others like a set to get their drink on....those crowds (at least half) will get this one in the first set for a while to see how it works for us.

• Members

I still don't get it.. "Sex On Fire" still works pretty great for us, most nights..

I'll definitely let you know. We should be unleashing that one next weekend (3 shows in 3 days--should get a good idea).

I checked out your site. You guys are great! That's what I see myself doing in the not-too-distant future. Any good crossover tunes you can recommend for a mostly rock band?

Aside from Garth & Big/Rich, we also do:

Here For The Party - Gretchen Wilson

Need You Now - Antebellum (only by request)

You Belong With Me - Taylor (ditto)

Also thinking about working in Chicken Fried, Toes, I Love This Bar, American Ride

You didn't ask me.. but our band's setlist has stuff like Rebel Yell, Dynamite, My Own Worst Enemy, Pony, Blister in the Sun, What I Got, Shake It, {censored} You, My Dick,

Country stuff that we do that works with those songs pretty well: Chicken Fried, Save A Horse, Friends In Low Places, She's Country, Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me, Somebody Like You, Wagon Wheel, A Little Less Talk (A Lot More Action), Dust On the Bottle, Folsom Prison Blues... among others.

Stuff I'd recommend you to check out: "Country Girl (Shake It)" by Luke Bryan, "Dirt Road Anthem" by Jason Aldean (or Colt Ford), "Pickin Wildflowers" by Keith Anderson, "Sold" by John Michael Montgomery, "Alcohol" by Brad Paisley, and "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland. All solid songs that have some sort of crossover appeal, most of which you wouldn't think so just by listening to em. But they've all done well to a wide cross section as either acoustic tunes or break music for us.

"Toes" and "I Love This Bar" are probably good adds. "American Ride" is a cool song... but I think it would be lost to the bar crowds.. not really a party vibe to it!

If I was starting a band from scratch right now, I wouldn't do it without at least adding "Chicken Fried", "Save A Horse", "Wagon Wheel", and "Folsom Prison"....

• Members

"Margaritaville" and "Shoulda Been A Cowboy" both work great for us acoustic. I've done "Good Directions", but people don't seem to know it that well. Thought about adding "All My Friends Say" with the band.. but it gets kinda droney. Used to do "Beer For My Horses" and "Ten Rounds" with another band back when they were new, and they always did well.

You guys should think about adding that "Country Girl (Shake It)" song by Luke Bryan.. it's got a good energy, and we're thinking it'll even fit in between some of the hip hop we do.

Good Directions will be interesting. We have a rule in my band that if two hot chicks request a song we learn it, and that one fell into that catergory. I really like it, so we'll see how it goes.

Country Girl Shake It For Me is on my radar for sure. I'm always nervous with the stuff that's still new, as we've had a couple of flops with popular songs. As I look at current top 40 stuff, I could see the following going over well:

"Old Alabama"-I'n guessing we're going to add this soon, because it's perfect for a medley with Mountain Music. DOPE!

"Honeybee"- Everyone else in my band thinks this song's lame, but if it hits #1 we're doing it. I just like the Conway Twitty reference and the melody

Country Girl (Shake It For Me)-This could be "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" part 2

Am I the Only One- medley with Charlie Daniel's "Drinking My Baby Goodbye

Dirt Road Anthem-The rappings a little unnerving for us, since we're a bunch of hicks, but I love that line "swerving like I'm George Jones"

Knee Deep- hell, anything Buffett works in San Diego

I Wouldn't Be a Man- Panty Dropper

Mr. Bartender- This song's AWESOME, but it's got to climb a lot higher to be recognizable. I'll take a look to see where it is in three months

I had lunch with the Director of one of our local radio stations, and some interesting advice he gave me was to check out the playlists of your local station (available online). Anything over 3 years old is considered "Country Gold" and tests REALLY well in the local market. If you pick party songs from that list that a over 3 years old you should be good. I found this online request site helpful for our market:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?c_let=KSON-fm

• Members
You didn't ask me.. but our band's setlist has stuff like Rebel Yell, Dynamite, My Own Worst Enemy, Pony, Blister in the Sun, What I Got, Shake It, {censored} You, My Dick,

Country stuff that we do that works with those songs pretty well: Chicken Fried, Save A Horse, Friends In Low Places, She's Country, Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me, Somebody Like You, Wagon Wheel, A Little Less Talk (A Lot More Action), Dust On the Bottle, Folsom Prison Blues... among others.

Stuff I'd recommend you to check out: "Country Girl (Shake It)" by Luke Bryan, "Dirt Road Anthem" by Jason Aldean (or Colt Ford), "Pickin Wildflowers" by Keith Anderson, "Sold" by John Michael Montgomery, "Alcohol" by Brad Paisley, and "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland. All solid songs that have some sort of crossover appeal, most of which you wouldn't think so just by listening to em. But they've all done well to a wide cross section as either acoustic tunes or break music for us.

"Toes" and "I Love This Bar" are probably good adds. "American Ride" is a cool song... but I think it would be lost to the bar crowds.. not really a party vibe to it!

If I was starting a band from scratch right now, I wouldn't do it without at least adding "Chicken Fried", "Save A Horse", "Wagon Wheel", and "Folsom Prison"....

Awesome, thanks. :thu:

• Members

Rolling in the Deep - Adele

Lazy Song - Bruno Mars

Dirt Road Anthem - Jason Aldean

The Aldean song kills a couple birds for us, we always get asked for more country and we needed a slower song.

I wanna add "Dirt Road Anthem" and "Lazy Song". I really dig both songs (although Colt Ford and Brantley Gilbert's ORIGINAL version of "Dirt Road Anthem" is better), but I'm still not sure how well they'll work with our typical crowd. I've been tossing out "Lazy Song" acoustic, and playing Dirt Road Anthem on the break music, so we'll see!

• Members
Good Directions will be interesting. We have a rule in my band that if two hot chicks request a song we learn it, and that one fell into that catergory. I really like it, so we'll see how it goes.

Country Girl Shake It For Me is on my radar for sure. I'm always nervous with the stuff that's still new, as we've had a couple of flops with popular songs. As I look at current top 40 stuff, I could see the following going over well:

"Old Alabama"-I'n guessing we're going to add this soon, because it's perfect for a medley with Mountain Music. DOPE!

"Honeybee"- Everyone else in my band thinks this song's lame, but if it hits #1 we're doing it. I just like the Conway Twitty reference and the melody

Country Girl (Shake It For Me)-This could be "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" part 2

Am I the Only One- medley with Charlie Daniel's "Drinking My Baby Goodbye

Dirt Road Anthem-The rappings a little unnerving for us, since we're a bunch of hicks, but I love that line "swerving like I'm George Jones"

Knee Deep- hell, anything Buffett works in San Diego

I Wouldn't Be a Man- Panty Dropper

Mr. Bartender- This song's AWESOME, but it's got to climb a lot higher to be recognizable. I'll take a look to see where it is in three months

I had lunch with the Director of one of our local radio stations, and some interesting advice he gave me was to check out the playlists of your local station (available online). Anything over 3 years old is considered "Country Gold" and tests REALLY well in the local market. If you pick party songs from that list that a over 3 years old you should be good. I found this online request site helpful for our market:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?c_let=KSON-fm

Let me know how "Good Directions" works for you guys, curious to see if it'll fit the rest!

I don't know your market.. but pretty much ANY type of band that plays around here in the cover circuit would get a "Uh, yeah.. learn it", from me in response to the Luke Bryan tune. It's a no brainer, at least here.. but I realize every market is different!

I don't know how I missed "Honey Bee". With Blake Shelton's new exposure to a bigger fanbase, this is his hot song right now, AND.. it's a catchy country tune. I'd consider this can't miss.....

I thought about doing something similar with "Old Alabama". We get quite a few requests for Brad Paisley, and we've tried to wing "Ticks", "Alcohol", and "I'm Still A Guy".. but I think this would be a keeper. On a side note.. I feel like doing "Dixieland Delight" would go over really well with a general party crowd, at least in the South, but I'm not sold enough on it to put the time into working it up. Yet... :)

Buffett's always good.. but right now, so is anything Zac Brown touches....

I haven't heard the last two in your list yet, but I do know that learning songs ahead of the curve can pay off in spades. We had that Ceelo song down WAAAAY before it hit as big as it did... and people noticed that!

For what it's worth, the stations have been pushing Rodney Atkins' "Backroads" HARD lately...

One big piece of advice I'd give you guys is just not to be scared of it. Even in adding the old Merle Haggard and George Strait songs.. stuff like "The Fireman", "Workin Man's Blues", and "Mama Tried" all have a good energy to them. I'm not thinking that you'll be doing "Dynamite" and "Raise Your Glass" any time soon, but you're only ever limited by yourself! As such.. don't look at "Dirt Road Anthem" with "well, we're just a bunch of hicks". Screw that. Aldean, and even Colt Ford/Brantley Gilbert.. none of them are going to out-rap Ludacris anytime soon, but they get the job done. And this song? It's just another song, with lyrics, chords, phrasing, etc. More than likely, it's not beyond your talent, it's just beyond your comfort zone. Screw that too. Go for it! :)

• Members

for a country mini block we like to do chicken fried-save a horse ride a cowboy- boot scootin boogie - got a little change in my pocket going ring a ling a ling (cant recall the name, not really country but works)

we also do folsom prison blues and friends in low places sometimes

Id like to learn some more country but it seems like most people ever bring to the table are slow songs and thats not what our band does most of the time.

• Members

in response to possum kingdom - usually for us, as with a lot of the older harder alt songs, its like 4 guys jumping up and down while the dancefloor clears.

I used to LOVE this song when I was a kid but its no fun for me to play...

then again we do a lot of modern dance music so this really isnt our crowd anymore.

crazy is kind of done

I mean its been waaaaaaaaay on the reserve list for a couple years now.

If you like that I would suggest {censored} You (or forget you) by Cee Lo Green (hes the singer on Crazy) and its a pretty decent hit.

Its got a cool feel to it as well.

• Members
One big piece of advice I'd give you guys is just not to be scared of it. Even in adding the old Merle Haggard and George Strait songs.. stuff like "The Fireman", "Workin Man's Blues", and "Mama Tried" all have a good energy to them. I'm not thinking that you'll be doing "Dynamite" and "Raise Your Glass" any time soon, but you're only ever limited by yourself! As such.. don't look at "Dirt Road Anthem" with "well, we're just a bunch of hicks". Screw that. Aldean, and even Colt Ford/Brantley Gilbert.. none of them are going to out-rap Ludacris anytime soon, but they get the job done. And this song? It's just another song, with lyrics, chords, phrasing, etc. More than likely, it's not beyond your talent, it's just beyond your comfort zone. Screw that too. Go for it!
:)

Yeah, we do those Haggard songs and the Fireman, they always go over pretty well. I'm going to make a push for Dirt Road...I think it could be fun. I also want to do Aldeen's Big Red Tractor.

We're also going to add some Sawyer Brown like we talked about last month. No dancing though!

• Members

We did an impromptu version of Riding the Storm Out last night. I have no idea how to play it so I just sang, but the band nailed it. Its probably going on the list now.
:facepalm:

As in REO Speedwagon? I love that song. Probably means it's not good for a cover band to play...

• Members

Corrosion of Conformity: Albatross
Alice in Chains: Them Bones
Theory of a Deadman: By the Way
Buckcherry: Lit up and Sorry

We are doing originals mostly, but we are gonna throw in covers too.
Singing and playing rhythm over some are a bit challenging lol.

• Members

IYou guys should think about adding that "Country Girl (Shake It)" song by Luke Bryan.. it's got a good energy, and we're thinking it'll even fit in between some of the hip hop we do.

This song is 100% win...I'm convinced...I just saw Luke Bryan play it at the Tim McGraw concert and it was like some crazy drug came through the PA system that caused every hot chick there to grind on the nearest object. You've got a good ear, I just emal by band and told them I'd beat them to death if they're not willing to add this one.

Archived