What new (to you) cover tunes are y'all working on lately?

• Members

We're going through a major song list beef-up lately so I was just wondering what you all are working on these days? Here's what we've been up to--if you have any experience with these, feel free to chime in. Bear in mind, we usually add a pretty nice energy boost to just about everything (examples).

Cardigans - Lovefool (we're gonna hit this one out of the park)

Linda Ronstadt - When Will I Be Loved / It's So Easy (flexing our vocal muscle; gonna be great too)

Def Leppard - Photograph (a self-indulgent gamble)

Garth - Friends in Low Places

Big & Rich - Save a Horse, Ride a Douchebag

B-52s - Love Shack

Bon Jovi - Can't Go Home

Paramore - Misery Business (we sorta suck at these angry hard rock tunes, but it's been requested a few times...)

Rejects - Gives You Hell (for such an easy tune, it's not coming together for some reason--may never make it out of the gate)

U2 - Desire (need an alt to Vertigo for U2 requests. most of us hate U2)

Stones - Honky Tonk Woman (duh)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Learning a couple of requests for an upcoming wedding:

"You Take My Breath Away" by Berlin

"Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon

"Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn

I get the first one, but don't really have a CLUE why they want us to learn those other two for a wedding. :idk:

This {censored} keeps us on our toes though!

• Members

All of these work pretty well for us. Especially Love Shack

B-52s - Love Shack

Rejects - Gives You Hell

Stones - Honky Tonk Woman

We haven't really got together for a good practice in awhile so we haven't learned anything lately. The last songs we learned were More by Usher which is kinda going over meh most of the time and Get Down Tonight by KC & the Sunshine band which works pretty well for what it is. On deck we do have Photograph but I am not sure when we are going to get to it.

• Members

We're learning:

Play Something Country- Brooks & Dunn

Should've Been a Cowboy- Toby Keith

Gone Country- Alan Jackson

Good Directions- Billy Currington

Beer for My Horses- Toby Keith and Willie

All My Friends Say- Luke Bryan

Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo- Tracy Byrd

Margaritaville- JB

I'll be interested to see how "When Will I Be Loved" goes over for you. That's a potentially good one for us to add as well.

• Members

"Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon was a miss with us so it became by request only back when KOL were hot. We pulled it out a few times since then but the last time I think was at least 9-10 months ago.

• Members

Learning a couple of requests for an upcoming wedding:

"You Take My Breath Away" by Berlin

"Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon

"Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn

I get the first one, but don't really have a CLUE why they want us to learn those other two for a
wedding.
:idk:

This {censored} keeps us on our toes though!

Awesome. I love Sex on Fire, not only cause I just like the tune, but because I get to sing about road head at totally inappropriate times due to that song being requested so often. And the guitar bits are fun and simple to play. It is ALSO a grade AAA panty remover, so make sure you are giving some bridesmaids the ol bedroom eyes when you sing the naughty parts. Which is basically the whole song :D

We are working up Radar Love (I have managed to never play it in 20+ years) I Shot The Sherriff, Layla in its original form (been doing the unplugged version for years, getting tons of reqs for the "old" version now) and we are playing with a few others.

I REALLY hate the way this band does this though - it takes us weeks to get a single song down. The only way we managed to gig at all for the first couple years we were together is that we all separately knew a bunchof songs each already, and about 40 of them happened to overlap for all of us.

• Members

We learned that one earlier this year, it's still hit or miss when we play it. Seems there are a lot of people that are not familiar with the song.

Yeah, I don't expect us to keep it. These wedding deals are usually a quickly-work-up-90-seconds-of-the-song-so-they-can-have-their-dance deal and then never do the song again. Once in awhile we come across something that really clicks and we keep it in the set, but not often.

Of those three, I'd suspect the Berlin song has the best chance of making our permanent set list. At least at weddings anyway. I'm surprised this is the first time we've been asked to play it.

• Members

we learned I loved her first, better together and, you are the sunshine of my life last saturday at sound check before a wedding. the front guy had them down ,, and it was just a matter of the band learning and running through them.

• Members

we learned I loved her first, better together and, you are the sunshine of my life last saturday at sound check before a wedding. the front guy had them down ,, and it was just a matter of the band learning and running through them.

We get asked to play "Sunshine" from time to time. I like the chord changes on that one.

• Members

We get asked to play "Sunshine" from time to time. I like the chord changes on that one.

Yup good song ,, out of the three, I would guess its gonna be the keeper. We dont really have what you call a formal set list. Just a very large pool of songs that or front man draws out of at random. It keeps you on your toes. No Idea how large the pool is ,, several hundred songs for sure. Pretty well every gig we get thrown a ringer you have to hit cold. Its kinda how we roll. The bass player just laughted when we had to whip up those wedding songs at sound check. He said ,, thats alot more warning than we usually get.

• Members

We're learning:

Play Something Country- Brooks & Dunn

Should've Been a Cowboy- Toby Keith

Gone Country- Alan Jackson

Good Directions- Billy Currington

Beer for My Horses- Toby Keith and Willie

All My Friends Say- Luke Bryan

Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo- Tracy Byrd

Margaritaville- JB

I'll be interested to see how "When Will I Be Loved" goes over for you. That's a potentially good one for us to add as well.

I'll definitely let you know. We should be unleashing that one next weekend (3 shows in 3 days--should get a good idea).

I checked out your site. You guys are great! That's what I see myself doing in the not-too-distant future. Any good crossover tunes you can recommend for a mostly rock band?

Aside from Garth & Big/Rich, we also do:

Here For The Party - Gretchen Wilson

Need You Now - Antebellum (only by request)

You Belong With Me - Taylor (ditto)

Also thinking about working in Chicken Fried, Toes, I Love This Bar, American Ride

• Members

We tried that one, went with Same Ol Situation & Girls, Girls, Girls. You playing that in D or standard?

We also do Livewire. I think Wildside will go over better. But probably not as well as sing-along like S.O.S.

As the drummer, I play everything standard! But if I recall the conversation correctly last night between guitar and bass, drop d.

• Members

As the drummer, I play everything standard! But if I recall the conversation correctly last night between guitar and bass, drop d.

Dropped D? We haul an extra bass & guitar tuned to D(down a whole step) for those songs.

• Members

We brought on a pedal steel player, and we don't want to scare him off (he's a long-time guitarist but this is his first gig on the steel), so we're spending the next month or two getting him up to speed on our 4-5 hours of material. We don't really NEED any more songs, but the rest of the band really likes learning new stuff, and I'm bored to tears rehearsing songs the rest of us have down.

It's awesome to play with a steeler, tho.

• Members

We're going through a major song list beef-up lately so I was just wondering what you all are working on these days? Here's what we've been up to--if you have any experience with these, feel free to chime in. Bear in mind, we usually add a pretty nice energy boost to just about everything (
).

Cardigans - Lovefool (we're gonna hit this one out of the park)

Linda Ronstadt - When Will I Be Loved / It's So Easy (flexing our vocal muscle; gonna be great too)

Def Leppard - Photograph (a self-indulgent gamble)

B-52s - Love Shack

Bon Jovi - Can't Go Home

Paramore - Misery Business (we sorta suck at these angry hard rock tunes, but it's been requested a few times...)

Rejects - Gives You Hell (for such an easy tune, it's not coming together for some reason--may never make it out of the gate)

U2 - Desire (need an alt to Vertigo for U2 requests. most of us hate U2)

Stones - Honky Tonk Woman (duh)

Of all the songs this is the only one we've played: Big & Rich - Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy. It's been a big song for us for four plus years... but we go all out. Horse samples, banjo emulations and even a mascot in a cowboy suit and cap guns: http://www.vimeo.com/6146292

We've been off for three weeks and it's been wonderful. Songs on deck for next week's practice.

Adele-rolling in the deep

Oh What A Night (Dec 1963)- Frankie Vallie

Stronger-kanye

Country Grammer-Nelly

30 Seconds To Mars-Closer To The Edge

• Members

I'll definitely let you know. We should be unleashing that one next weekend (3 shows in 3 days--should get a good idea).

I checked out your site. You guys are great! That's what I see myself doing in the not-too-distant future. Any good crossover tunes you can recommend for a mostly rock band?

Aside from Garth & Big/Rich, we also do:

Here For The Party - Gretchen Wilson

Need You Now - Antebellum (only by request)

You Belong With Me - Taylor (ditto)

Also thinking about working in Chicken Fried, Toes, I Love This Bar, American Ride

Thanks for the kind words.

For mostly rock bands looking to do country, the first three you listed will go over great. I think American Ride will...but Toby's newer stuff seems to be hit and miss.

I would think Jason Aldeen's stuff would go over well, i.e. She's Country and My Kinda Party. That's a little too rocked out for us, but we're going to try his "Big Green Tractor" and see how that goes.

Brooks and Dunn is usually can't miss. We get a great response from Boot Scoot Boogie, and I'm guessing Play Something Country will go over well. You can rock those up quite a bit.

Since you're doing the Taylor stuff I assume you have a femal singer, so the Miranda Lambert stuff should do really well. Try "Gunpowder and Lead" and "White Liar"

Hopefully Blackbird 13 chimes in, he's got his pulse on the rockin country more than I do. Hell, I'd be a Merle Haggard or George Strait tribute band if it were up to me.

• Members

We've had three rehearsals as a trio and hope to get out of the basement within the month.

Keep in mind our average age is something like 57. . . . and please reread my sig that I borrowed from riversitter.

SUPERSTITION Stevie Wonder studio

SLEDGEHAMMER Peter Gabriel

IT

• Members

Here are a few we've picked up in the past couple months:

Muse - Uprising.....we've only done it twice, but it went over great both times

Cee Lo - F You.....goes over HUGE; we usually get asked to do it a second time. (Or maybe it sucks so bad, they're giving us a chance to redeem ourselves. :) )

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody....great song and fun to play, but it's more of a mid-tempo first set-type song.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Jet....this one is just for us. Most of the crowd has no clue what it is, but the band loves the song, and we sound pretty good doing it. Strictly a first-set tune.....usually our second or third song of the night.

Archived