What new (to you) cover tunes are y'all working on lately?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for such an easy tune, it's not coming together for some reason--may never make it out of the gate

We have the same problem with some of those "easy" tunes... Animal (Neon Trees) is incredibly simple, yet I can only think of ONE time that we really nailed it on stage - it just seems to fall flat for us live (and I'm not talking about audience reaction).

• Members

in response to possum kingdom - usually for us, as with a lot of the older harder alt songs, its like 4 guys jumping up and down while the dancefloor clears.

We're aiming for something that will turn some heads when Amy starts belting it out. Hoping for the same reaction we get when she does Cochise or Enter Sandman... people go "huh? what's that chick doing?" then they go "damn... that's awesome!"

Stabbing Westward's "Save Yourself" is another potential candidate.

Of course, we save these for the very end of the night. If we clear the floor, it usually doesn't really matter at that point.

• Members

Stabbing Westward's "Save Yourself" is another potential candidate.

Are saying you think a Stabbing Westward song might NOT clear the floor?

Do you anticipate that ANYBODY in your average audience will have ever heard of SW, much less that song?

Don't get me wrong, I like the band a lot. A good friend was actually a founding member.

But no 20-30-something audience TODAy is going to know the first thing about them.

You're easily 15+ years past the sell-by date on that band, IMO.

Not really sure what you'd hope to bring to the table by adding something by them...?

• Members

Are saying you think a Stabbing Westward song might NOT clear the floor?

Do you anticipate that ANYBODY in your average audience will have ever
heard of
SW, much less that song?

Don't get me wrong, I like the band a lot. A good friend was actually a founding member.

But no 20-30-something audience TODAy is going to know the first thing about them.

You're easily 15+ years past the sell-by date on that band, IMO.

Not really sure what you'd hope to bring to the table by adding something by them...?

93.5 The Beach is a HUGE influence around here and that song is one of their staples - as is Possum Kingdom. Cochise, Enter Sandman, Fully Alive, Bulls on Parade, Slither - all well known here because of that radio station. People love to hear Amy sing that stuff after a night of Journey, Pink, and 867-5309. :idk:

I'm not saying it would fly for a tourist crowd, but for our existing local fan base.

• Members

93.5 The Beach is a HUGE influence around here and that song is one of their staples - as is Possum Kingdom. Cochise, Enter Sandman, Fully Alive, Bulls on Parade, Slither - all well known here because of that radio station. People love to hear Amy sing that stuff after a night of Journey, Pink, and 867-5309.
:idk:

I'm not saying it would fly for a tourist crowd, but for our existing fan base.

All I can say is: surprising

So not as well known/recognizeable as compared t the other bands/songs you listed alongside it...I mean even the Toadies were 'bigger' at their peak than SW. Clearly Audioslave, Metallica, RATM are significantly better known bands.

• Members

All I can say is: surprising

So not as well known/recognizeable as compared t the other bands/songs you listed alongside it...I mean even the Toadies were 'bigger' at their peak than SW. Clearly Audioslave, Metallica, RATM are significantly better known bands.

Yeah, it's a pretty weird mix around here.

• Members

Im working up a whole new set for a duo acoustic show were doing this weekend. These are songs Ive always wanted to do.

1)Ben Harper-Steal My Kisses

2)Rolling Stones-Paint It Black

3)Jackson 5-I want you Back

4)Big Sugar-Dear Mr Fantasy

5)Macy's Playground-Sex and Candy

6)Stevie Wonder-I Wish

7)The Kinks-Sunny Afternoon

8)The Beatles-Why Dont we Do It In The Road

9)Dexy's Midnight Runners-Come On Eileen

10) Ray lamontagne-Trouble

Archived