A question for you E-drummers:

• Members

Since switching to IEMs the question of getting E-drums has come up. My drummer is opposed to it mainly because he says he hates the look of them (I personally disagree, but it's not my instrument...), but he would be open to the idea of using his drums to trigger an E-drum brain.

My question: since the main reason to go to E-drums is to reduce the stage volume, what do you recommend as the best way to baffle an acoustic kit? Just stuff 'em with towels or some such?

Also, what's a good E-drum brain recommendation.

• Members

Since switching to IEMs the question of getting E-drums has come up. My drummer is opposed to it mainly because he says he hates the look of them (I personally disagree, but it's not my instrument...), but he would be open to the idea of using his drums to trigger an E-drum brain.

My question: since the main reason to go to E-drums is to reduce the stage volume, what do you recommend as the best way to baffle an acoustic kit? Just stuff 'em with towels or some such?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

• Members

Part of the reason for our drummer's reluctance (although he won't come right out and say it) is, I'm sure, the cost of a top-of-the-line E drum kit, which can run several thousand dollars. So finding a brain that is at least CLOSE to top-of-the-line quality (great acoustic sounds and a variety of electronic sounds for pop stuff) that we could find for a decent price used would be awesome.

• Members

Part of the reason for our drummer's reluctance (although he won't come right out and say it) is, I'm sure, the cost of a top-of-the-line E drum kit, which can run several thousand dollars. So finding a brain that is at least CLOSE to top-of-the-line quality (great acoustic sounds and a variety of electronic sounds for pop stuff) that we could find for a decent price used would be awesome.

I'll come right out and say it for him: to truly do eDrums RIGHT (as far as I'm concerend, doing them right means you have GREAT sounding output AND great feel playing-wise), it's a significant outlay, and really needs to be made all at once.

For example, you can't buy a starter kit that does 'ok' on both of those fronts (feel and sound) and then upgrade it later for the most part. You buy the starter kit (pads & brain) and then get rid of all (or at least most of it) to eventually buy the really good kit (pads & brain).

I would CONSIDER eDrums for my current primary band, which already uses IEMs, but I don't have $2.5-3k laying around to invest, much less the time to tweak sounds from the defaults to make them sound good/right...my acoustic drums & cymbals may be loud(er), but they already sound excellent (Our guitarist/resident recording engineer actually said they sounded great on our most recent recordings just last night)...

So eDrums are definitely a non-starter for me now.

However, if the band was bringing in a fair deal more $ from gigs and booking more frequently, that would be another situation altogether, I'd guess.

• Members

I'll come right out and say it for him: to truly do eDrums RIGHT (as far as I'm concerend, doing them right means you have GREAT sounding output AND great feel playing-wise), it's a significant outlay, and really needs to be made all at once.

Agreed. But what I'm really asking about here is the option HE'D rather go, which is just use his acoustic kit as triggers and muffle them as much as possible to reduce stage volume. I don't know if he'd go with a pad kit even if he had unlimited funds because he doesn't like the look. The part about $$ was about asking about the difference between buying the latest-and-greatest brain new and buying last years-latest-and-greatest brain used.

But as far a using the acoustic kit muffled up with triggers? Is this even a viable option? It sounds good on paper to me. But I have no real experience with this.

• Members

I have a V-tour kit similar to this one(except from ~2005-2006) that is really reasonable in price for a good e-drum set. You can certainly get larger setups for more money, but if you do your research, you can get a basic set with a brain that will allow you to upgrade over time to more cymbals, a hi-hat that has the same sort of mechanical motion as a traditional one, etc.

Easier to transport, too, except if you've got a coupe or something, in which case some of the rail systems can be an issue.

He should go down to GC or whatever and just check out the range of them.

• Members

Agreed. But what I'm really asking about here is the option HE'D rather go, which is just use his acoustic kit as triggers and muffle them as much as possible to reduce stage volume. I don't know if he'd go with a pad kit even if he had unlimited funds because he doesn't like the look. The part about $$ was about asking about the difference between buying the latest-and-greatest brain new and buying last years-latest-and-greatest brain used.

But as far a using the acoustic kit muffled up with triggers? Is this even a viable option? It sounds good on paper to me. But I have no real experience with this.

I dunno, I guess you could do it, but the feel is gonna be all wrong, and he's still gonna need to whack on that snare, AFAIK.

Doing it that way keeps all the pain of an acoustic set and gets very little of the benefit of an e-set.

• Members

All sorts of DIY ideas are out there: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?48-DIY

No idea price wise how building an acoustic one with triggers compares to buying a Roland kit though.

I love the sound of my TD-20 brain and basically every gig I get people coming up and asking me about it. It's definitely a hit.

• Members

My drummer uses a TD-20 because he like the customization. The stage volume was not his main reason. He is a big fan of Bud Harner and he saw Bud using an acoustic/electronic mix kit. The electronics were impressive and the third party plugz were awesome. My drummer wasn't thrilled with the stock sounds but the third party stuff Bud turned him onto are incredible. With the right earbuds my drummer "feels" the e-kit just as much as his acoustic. I am pretty sure, when all was said and done, that his TD-20 ran up into the $5k range.

• Members

I have a highly customized td-8 that sounds really great but I would go td-12 or td-20 and mesh heads. I like the feel of the mesh heads and the response is close to an acoustic kit.

I think the new kits look great. This isn't my kit but its cool

picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=2596

Mine is a bit more compact. You can also use Hart dynamics or Pintech drums if you want something that looks more like A-drums than E-drums but the more expensive roland pads IMO look and play better

• Members

I have a highly customized td-8 that sounds really great but I would go td-12 or td-20 and mesh heads. I like the feel of the mesh heads and the response is close to an acoustic kit.

I think the new kits look great. This isn't my kit but its cool

picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=2596

Mine is a bit more compact. You can also use Hart dynamics or Pintech drums if you want something that looks more like A-drums than E-drums but the more expensive roland pads IMO look and play better

++ on the mesh heads. the non-mesh heads are not only louder if you're interested in fairly quiet practice levels, but the mesh ones feel soooo much nicer than the rubber ones (easier on your hands, too)

• Members

The smaller e-kits also make it much easier to actually SEE the drummer from the crowd. I always thought that would be a good selling point for drummers who are usually obscured by their kit...

The exact reason why I'm opposed to one for our drummer :poke:

• Members

I converted a PDP kit with triggers and mesh heads, The only giveaway is the Roland cymbals. My band loves the V-drums, a lot of places we play have multiple bands and don't mic up the drum kits properly. my kit always sounds great, I get a lot of compliments on the sound.

the Roland modules to me are the best available right now, I use the TD20 and highly recommend it, the TD12 is also very good, just not quite as flexible with the direct outputs and a few other things. I did not like any of the stock kits in the modules, but they are easy to tune and I also use a few of the Vexpressionsltd.com kits which are really great kits.

it is an investment and not really cheap, but to me, it is worth it, a top of the line acoustic kit, high end cymbals, mics, etc will run about the same as a Roland set up

• Members

++ on the mesh heads. the non-mesh heads are not only louder if you're interested in fairly quiet practice levels, but the mesh ones feel soooo much nicer than the rubber ones (easier on your hands, too)

the rubber pad i used at 1st for my HH gave me crazy pains in my wrist when I first started playing. I really changed the way I play drums because of it... for the better.

• Members

the rubber pad i used at 1st for my HH gave me crazy pains in my wrist when I first started playing. I really changed the way I play drums because of it... for the better.

I've heard more than a few anecdotes like that. They're just real rough.

• Members

tell your drummer that no one really looks at drummers other than other drummers and no one cares what they think. Drummers are 3/5ths of a person. We decided this a long time ago.

lulz...ya know acb, I've noticed a trend regarding you and your comments about drummers......maybe there will be a drummer's version of the Dred Scott decision....like the Keith Moon decision or something....

• Members

And as far as Elec kits go....I don't like playing with them as a guitarist. I like the sound of drums as instruments. It'd be like playing a synthesized guitar tone. But I recognize their practicality and usefulness in certain situations.

But if it is a volume thing, get a small kit (18 kik, 12 snare etc), put some double ply heads on it and make him play with some 7a's. That will bring the volume waay down. You'll be amazed how good {censored} sounds when the band doesn't have to compete with a loud drummer.

If it is a timbre thing (808 sounds for hip hop tunes etc), then there are LOTS of stick triggered pads...that way you have the best of both worlds....and low volume.

Archived