A question for you E-drummers:

• Members

since I switched around 10 years ago I have only played on an acoustic kit a handful of times. Usually when we were doing a multi-benefit and the kit was already there. The guys in my band actually hated it cuz they were so used to the V-drums (and low clear stage volume)

I don't I will be gigging on a regular basis with an A-kit ever again. :thu:

• Members

THAT'S an interesting idea...

I guess the mesh heads come in the standard tom sizes

all of mine are Roland (except the kick which is Hart). 8 10 12 14 i am not sure if they are still producing all the sizes or not, if not, the Hart mesh heads should work fine, the best thing about the PDP is the drum lugs are all even numbered, so it makes it easy to mount the center trigger. I learned that from Jman on the Vdrums board.

• Members

I did what JoeDirt mentioned above. I took an acoustic kit and put cross bars and piezo sensors inside of the drums, added a 1/4 inch jack, and installed mesh heads. This includes a piccolo snare, 3 toms, 3 crashes, 1 ride, and a 16 inch kick drum (I use a Roland hat). I cut the toms in half before converting them to make them more "gig-able". I run it all through a Roland brain. My kit looks like a small acoustic kit (think Jungle Kit or Hip Gig type) but it's totally electronic. Most people don't know it's electronic unless they're a drummer. Other drummers think the kit is cool (in an R2D2 kind of way). The vdrums.com forum that JoeDirt mentioned above is a GREAT resource for converting your acoustics over to e-drums. My band likes the lower stage volume and I really dig the portability. Let me know if you have more questions on converting. It's sort of a hobby of mine.

• Members

I did what JoeDirt mentioned above. I took an acoustic kit and put cross bars and piezo sensors inside of the drums, added a 1/4 inch jack, and installed mesh heads. This includes a piccolo snare, 3 toms, 3 crashes, 1 ride, and a 16 inch kick drum (I use a Roland hat). I cut the toms in half before converting them to make them more "gig-able". I run it all through a Roland brain. My kit looks like a small acoustic kit (think Jungle Kit or Hip Gig type) but it's totally electronic. Most people don't know it's electronic unless they're a drummer. Other drummers think the kit is cool (in an R2D2 kind of way). The vdrums.com forum that JoeDirt mentioned above is a GREAT resource for converting your acoustics over to e-drums. My band likes the lower stage volume and I really dig the portability. Let me know if you have more questions on converting. It's sort of a hobby of mine.

I'll keep you in mind. I'm not sure where we're going with this actually. At some level it is a cost vs. result issue.

Is it about volume? Not REALLY. Our drummer doesn't play that loud and is very good at keeping his groove even at gigs where we have to play REALLY quietly. But since we've switched to IEMs the prospect of eliminating virtually all stage volume is intriguing.

Is it about sounds? More about access than about sounds. He plays a Roland pad-thingy that has all the electronic sounds and samples we need, but it's not quite the same thing as having those sounds accessible from his kit itself. I know he'd like to just be able to have those sounds on his kit rather than having to play them from the little pad box.

How much did the conversion cost you?

• Members

Buy a set of ddrum triggers.

I'd opt for a ddrum brain (ddrum2, ddrum 3 IF you can find one, or the ddrum 4. The three has a built in Sampler, but they sell for an arm and a leg. I've got the ddrum 2, and it sounds like a real, unprocessed drum kit.) I personally didn't care for the Roland sound sources, because the sounds make me think of a cheapo drum machine. I don't want my drum sound to sound like Def Leppard. It is like asking a guitarist to use a Rockman that only allows him to sound like Boston. They are fine for things like Death metal, or dance music - but if you are playing regular old Heavy Metal or Hard Rock... not so much.... it is just too slick sounding for me.

Put Remo Muff'ls with the FULL foam piece inside the drums, not the one that just has the ring of foam around the edge like a deadringer. You want the ones that have a full piece of foam under the entire drum head.

That will take care of the stage volume (you'll want a muffling on the front side of the kick as well.

I hate playing on actual pads, and those mesh heads... yeah they sort of feel like playing on a drum, but it just isn't the same to me. I prefer the Full muff'ls with real drum heads. Even the normal muff'ls will knock down the stage volume a bit.

Plus, I still want to use regular cymbals - I hate "Virtual/E-Cymbals".

• Members

As mentioned, have him convert his existing kit to electronic. He can diy or buy drop-in units. White mesh heads can be purchased from Hart/Blastech, while black mesh can be purchased from Pintech. Both Roland and Yamaha have premium modules, while Yamaha's cymbals are a better buy.

Or he could install mesh and use rim triggers from Roland, Pintech, dDrum, etc... He'll still need a module. I've also seen some edrummers use brass cymbals, instead of rubber ones. Good luck. WW

Here's my current ekit with converted acoustic/roto-toms (TD-20 module):
P11RearM.jpg

Here's my previous ekit with a mix of converted acoustic/Pintech drums (DTXtreme II/TD-10 modules):
PIITop2Dec2009.jpg

• Members
I personally didn't care for the Roland sound sources, because the sounds make me think of a cheapo drum machine. I don't want my drum sound to sound like Def Leppard.

That would be Simmons for Def Leppard.
:cop:

• Members

Regarding the Pearl e-Pro kit: Trust me...NOT awesome.

Even though the concept is great, and they look awesome, the pads suck, the brain has lame sounds in it, and as an e-kit, it's an embarrassment. Maybe if you set the Pearl brain on fire and bought a Roland or Alesis DM5 or DM10 brain you could get good results, but the pads played really poorly, IMO. They were mushy and unresponsive. Words really can't describe how stunningly disappointed I was in this product when I spent time with it in the store (and I went back repeatedly to try and figure out where I was going wrong with it - Best Buy is cool like that). I don't know if there was something wrong with the one I played, but in my opinion it really is crap compared to everything Roland, Yamaha, and Alesis I've played - especially sound-wise. Considering how much it costs, it should be MUCH MUCH better.

But it does look cool and is easy to use...I'll at least give it that.

Brian V.

• Members

didn't have a chance to try the $20 vex kits yet. been really busy with other stuff, but I will.

Also another thing that drove me to gig with a V-drum is portability. carry it in, plug it in and I am done. At the end of the night I don't tear it down, just unplug, carry it to the van and strap it down in at the end of the gig.

• Members

My drummer has the same opinion as MusicalSchizo on the Pearl kit. He hated the pads on that kit. On the flip side, he absolutely loves the feel of his TD-20 kit.

To be more clear as to why I feel they suck - when hit, they feel like they're sucking all the momentum out of your strokes. It's kind of like hitting a gel practice pad, only not quite that extreme. I'm sure this is fine for some drummers, but I absolutely hated it.

Brian V.

• Members

FWIW, I look at that clip, and the peak volume snare sounds don't match the physical effort you're putting into it; I see you playing at various dynamics, and it appears to match 'physics to sound' for the most part, but then I see you put just a little more oomph on a snare backbeat and this disproportionately higher dynamic snare CRACK comes out, that shouldn't be there for the velocity you're swinging at.

entirely The 'feel' portion of your example doesn't seem to be there, IMO: just does not connect for me.

• Members

Kmart I'm not the guy in the video. I posted the video for the OP so he can show his drummer another option.
FWIW the trigger unit does have a velocity control on it.
I understand 100% about drummer hating on a e-kit that just don't have the feel of a real kit.
Some folks can deal with it and some can't. I like e-kits for simplicity's sake.
Quick set up for plug in and play and easy tear down and plus I don't need a PhD to get a good sounding drum kit.
Chances of the crowd knowing the difference most don't care as long as you don't suck playing.

• Members

I use a smaller E-kit for my trio project. (roland td-6 and some smaller pads) Friday night I heard some dude say something like. alright we're gonna play rock band! when I carried it in. After the 1st song I caught him telling his friend (a drummer) -"They sound way better than your kit!"

:thu:

hahahah!

but it does look like a rock band type kit... in all fairness.

• Members

Kmart I'm not the guy in the video. I posted the video for the OP so he can show his drummer another option.

FWIW the trigger unit does have a velocity control on it.

I understand 100% about drummer hating on a e-kit that just don't have the feel of a real kit.

Some folks can deal with it and some can't. I like e-kits for simplicity's sake.

Quick set up for plug in and play and easy tear down and plus I don't need a PhD to get a good sounding drum kit.

Chances of the crowd knowing the difference most don't care as long as you don't suck playing.

I play acoustic drums 99.9% of the time, but believe me, I have no 'hate' for eDrums; I spent several years in retail as an electronic percussion 'expert' of sorts, know plenty about the ability to adjust velocity and actually like the possibilities of eKits...

I just don't think a clip where there is an obvious (to me, a drummer) disconnect between what's being played and the sound that's coming out is a convincing example to show a drummer who may be on the fence about them.

Archived