Our band has done something that, to my knowledge, no band has ever done before!

New Trail

• Members

We have written two different songs, totally different in feel, tempo, chord changes, etc., using the exact same words. To my knowledge that has never been done before.

I guess now everybody will do it...

Well, if this becomes the new trend and takes off, there will no longer be any need for music stands which would, of course, instantly solve our music stand thread issue.

• Members

Well dunno about 2 different styles with same lyrics but do know AC/DC been doing same style of music with just different lyrics for the past 30 years.

Just your doing a opposite of what they do your just changing the music to the same words.

• Members

the closest I can think of right now is Blue Oyster Cult's song Astronomy from Secret Treaties and their other version of Astronomy from the album Imaginos. Different music same lyrics. - and a pretty awesome song too.

• Members

Well dunno about 2 different styles with same lyrics but do know AC/DC been doing same style of music with just different lyrics for the past 30 years.

Just your doing a opposite of what they do your just changing the music to the same words.

You figured that out all by yourself?

• Members

We have written two different songs, totally different in feel, tempo, chord changes, etc., using the exact same words. To my knowledge that has never been done before.

I guess now everybody will do it...

Closest I can think of is George Strait's "Heartland" (not sure who wrote it offhand) from the Pure Country album, where they did an alternate version to the famous one as a ballad that sounded totally different.

• Members

Same melody (more or less)?

I need to know what the ground rules are here if I'm going to rack my brain . . . . .

Jazz standards get this all the time, although the basic chord structure tends to stay put.

• Members

Closest I can think of is George Strait's "Heartland" (not sure who wrote it offhand) from the Pure Country album, where they did an alternate version to the famous one as a ballad that sounded totally different.

[video=youtube;8VxVI8dja-0]

• Members

My acoustic duo did that last year. I told my buddy about an idea (theme) for a song I had. The next time I saw him he had a title and a verse on paper. I did another verse and the chorus, and gave the words back to him.

The next time we met up he said, "Hey, I put some music to those lyrics!" and I said "So did I." My version has a Goo Goo Dolls/Toad the Wet Sproket feel, and his had a Jack Johnson vibe. We play both.

• Members
And I do this all the time: write a song, put it to music, end up not liking it, then scrapping the music, composing a new tune to the same lyrics.

That's not the same as having two different songs with the same lyrics, and recording/performing both of them as part of the regular repertoire. It sounds like a cool exercise in songwriting to try to write two completely different sets of chord changes and melodies and be happy with both of them.

• Moderators

Just read your latest sig. Gets my vote for best sig EVER.

I know. Especially when thinking about Wither's music. Its creative and clever extension of the blues. And some journalist is spouting wise on "da blues" to Mr . Withers. And Withers is thinking "blow me, college boy". It's classic. Now I love Bill Withers even more.

Archived