"Let's Get It On" -- female lead vocal??

• Members

We've been asked to do this song for an upcoming wedding, and normally I don't really care about gender-switching on vocals, but might this one be one-step-too-far?

I don't think any of the guys in the band could do this vocal justice, and it will likely just be a "one-off" for us, so it probably isn't going to be a big deal WHO sings it, but I'm just curious if anyone has done this song (or heard it done) with a girl singing it and how it worked out.

• Members

We've been asked to do this song for an upcoming wedding, and normally I don't really care about gender-switching on vocals, but might this one be one-step-too-far?

I don't think any of the guys in the band could do this vocal justice, and it will likely just be a "one-off" for us, so it probably isn't going to be a big deal WHO sings it, but I'm just curious if anyone has done this song (or heard it done) with a girl singing it and how it worked out.

Not really but I tried. I was in a band last year with a girl singer and we were going to do it but the guitar player vetoed it. I'm no longer working with that guitar player. I thought "Let's Get it On" and "Sexual Healing" would be great chick songs, and not in a tacky way, but just good songs that people like that work.

• Members

Well, now I feel more confident about giving it I try. I was a little worred about it because it's one of my favorite songs and vocal performances EVER, so I want to make sure I treat it will all due respect.

I'm not really worried about covering it musically---we have to find the right key of course, but Tiffany really shines on classic R&B stuff and we don't have enough opportunity to have her sing a lot of it. I'm excited to hear what she'll do with it. If she nails it, it might be a "keeper".

• Members

That's a fun one to do as the close of a medley, too. I usually lead into it w/ "I Will Always Love You". If you hit that intro guitar line at a low point in a tender love song, it can kill.

Interesting. For this same gig there was a note about "do you guys happen to do any Whitney Houston?" I was just going to ignore that, but maybe I'll see about trying to do something like that....

• Members

Well, now I feel more confident about giving it I try. I was a little worred about it because it's one of my favorite songs and vocal performances EVER, so I want to make sure I treat it will all due respect.

I'm not really worried about covering it musically---we have to find the right key of course, but Tiffany really shines on classic R&B stuff and we don't have enough opportunity to have her sing a lot of it. I'm excited to hear what she'll do with it. If she nails it, it might be a "keeper".

I cant see where its going to be a problem. she has the chops to sing it well. I honestly cant understand why you even had any concern.

• Members

Well, now I feel more confident about giving it I try. I was a little worred about it because it's one of my favorite songs and vocal performances EVER, so I want to make sure I treat it will all due respect....

Yeah, for sure. What made me aware of that song and the possiblities of making it work was when I heard a local band play it. They were a high energy alternative rock band with only guitar, bass, drums, and vocals and they killed it. There were squeals from the girls with that first four note wah-wah guitar part. I DO think for it to sound right the guitar player has to have a wah.

• Members

That's the problem with covering songs that you really like. You get too wrapped up in you're love for the original. Treat it like any other song and it'll go over really well, I bet.

• Members

I DO think for it to sound right the guitar player has to have a wah.

Oh yeah...that's the whole hook of that song for me! I did this song a few years back in an R&B band with a male singer and I lived just to hear the guitarist open the song with those first four notes.

I have no doubt the SONG would kill...just was a little curious about the gender issue with it. But the more I think about it, the more it was silly to worry about that. I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Members

I notice no one commented on the video - so I will:

I didn't like it.

She's good, but it's just completely the wrong vibe for that song for me.

Thanks for posting it, though, musicmanmu...

Brian V.

Just wanted to show a female version of the song! Yeah, not my favorite interpretation either, but I agree that a female singing that song would be sweet.

• Members

WOW!! After listening to that I would have to say that it can DEFINITLY be done!!

Musicalschitzo:

"She's good, but it's just completely the wrong vibe for that song for me."

I just couldn't disagree more!! I thought it was sexy as hell!!:love:

• Members

WOW!! After listening to that I would have to say that it can
DEFINITLY
be done!!

Musicalschitzo:

"She's good, but it's just completely the wrong vibe for that song for me."

I just couldn't disagree more!! I thought it was sexy as hell!!
:love:

But, she's playing the progression wrong! I couldn't do her, out of principle, you know.

Kidding.

Archived