Once Again: It's great playing in a band with people that at least listen to.........

New Trail

• Members

No, and I can't name one either, but at least you know the name, you're aware of him. I'm talking about a previous band with guys that, seriously,
I mentioned learning a Jack Johnson song and none of them had ever even heard of him.

I had never heard of him either. We had one his songs come up to learn for a wedding gig. I cant see where not knowing him had any effect on anything. Easy learn , did it at sound check.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a silly thread.

I can list a boatload of recordings that you've never heard, entire genres that you know little or nothing about. . . . so what. Doesn't matter if it's current or not.

If it's important in your current project to keep up with the latest pop music, then you have to figure out how to get access to it, which could be a task if no one really identifies with it. If one person is into it, then it's his job to provide links and/or recordings, and it's your band mates' job to listen to them with an open mind.

How much of your repertoire is based on what you like, or what you think the band will play well, or what is currently popular. It's not the same proportion for every band . . . doesn't have to be.

If a genre appeals to me, I'll dig deeper. If it doesn't, I'm not obligated to listen to it anyway.

• Members

This is a silly thread.

I can list a boatload of recordings that you've never heard, entire genres that you know little or nothing about. . . . so what. Doesn't matter if it's current or not.

If it's important in your current project to keep up with the latest pop music, then you have to figure out how to get access to it, which could be a task if no one really identifies with it. If one person is into it, then it's his job to provide links and/or recordings, and it's your band mates' job to listen to them with an open mind.

How much of your repertoire is based on what you like, or what you think the band will play well, or what is currently popular. It's not the same proportion for every band . . . doesn't have to be.

If a genre appeals to me, I'll dig deeper. If it doesn't, I'm not obligated to listen to it anyway.

Mods please delete this entire thread. Thanks!

• Members

If we start deleting threads just because they are silly, this forum is going to be might small!

Well, THAT'S true, but I didn't ask them to delete it because I thought it was silly, I don't think that, I still think it's a valid idea. I'm just tired of arguing the same old points with people who will never get it and/or take the topic off-subject. I have to learn to, and force myself to, accentuate the positive, it's an old concept but it works. Basically if I start a thread about something I should only respond to those who understand and (basically) agree with the post rather than spend any time arguing with someone so set in their ways that they can't see or refuse to see the point anyway, or those who just like to argue.

• Members

Well, THAT'S true, but I didn't ask them to delete it because I thought it was silly, I don't think that, I still think it's a valid idea. I'm just tired of arguing the same old points with people who will never get it and/or take the topic off-subject. I have to learn to, and force myself to, accentuate the positive, it's an old concept but it works. Basically if I start a thread about something I should only respond to those who understand and (basically) agree with the post rather than spend any time arguing with someone so set in their ways that they can't see or refuse to see the point anyway, or those who just like to argue.

A bit provocative, no? If we disagree with you, we don't get it?

A simple question . . . . how many contemporary songs do I have to listen to - analytically, with an open mind - before you accept that it's just not my cup of tea? I understand it. I could play it if someone gave me a compelling reason to.

But you don't seem to accept any reason for passing on this stuff as valid for anyone.

• Members

A simple question . . . . how many contemporary songs do I have to listen to - analytically, with an open mind - before you accept that it's just not my cup of tea?

I don't think the OP was asking anyone to listen to anything analytically or ask that modern music be their cup of tea. At least I didn't take the post that way. He was simply saying he likes hanging with musicians who at least know who's who and what's what. I don't recall him saying those musicians need to necessarily LIKE everything they are familiar with.

And I agree with that. Personally, I like to be culturally aware and I like to have that perspective. But that's just me. If somebody doesn't have the time or desire to keep up on things, that's their choice. Although I DO recoil somewhat from the attitude many take that the reason they don't keep up on things is because they are somehow ABOVE the stuff they choose to not even know anything about. There's something very strange about that attitude.

But I like the fact that, when I'm watching something like SYTYCD, I'm familiar with most of the songs they are dancing to or that when Lady Gaga comes out and does a couple of songs that's she performing to some weird, stripped down remix (presumably so it focuses more on the dance and the beat?) of the songs because I've actually heard the original versions already.

But that's just me. I'm a music enthusiast so the more stuff I'm familiar with and understand, the more I enjoy things.

• Members

I don't think the OP was asking anyone to listen to anything analytically or ask that modern music be their cup of tea. At least I didn't take the post that way. He was simply saying he likes hanging with musicians who at least know who's who and what's what.

It started out innocently enough.

Now read the rest of the the posts. The direction of the thread, and the responses, were predictable. There's a strong "we're in the know, the rest of you don't get it" component to this.

I should know better than to take the bait . . . . .

• Members

I don't think the OP was asking anyone to listen to anything analytically or ask that modern music be their cup of tea. At least I didn't take the post that way. He was simply saying he likes hanging with musicians who at least know who's who and what's what....

Exactly! Well put! Thank you!

• Members

It started out innocently enough.

Now read the rest of the the posts. The direction of the thread, and the responses, were predictable. There's a strong "we're in the know, the rest of you don't get it" component to this.

I should know better than to take the bait . . . . .

Well, whenever discussions about subjects that are strictly subjective and a matter-of-opinion start to take on strict right/wrong dimensions, that's going to happen.

And in a forum about MUSIC---which is about as subjective a topic as there is---that's probably going to happen a lot.

Just par for the course, I think.

• Members

Yeah, I remember my parents telling me that the stuff I was listening to was crap and that no one would remember it in 5 years. Well, mostly they were right, most of it didn't have much of a shelf life. If you look at the songs that have been mentioned as still getting radio airplay or band live play from any era or genre it makes up about 2% of the musical era or genre they represent. The rest of it was forgettable, or at least forgotten. Same with 'current music', there's probably 1 or 2% that will be played five or ten years from now. For me, anyway, it's sometimes enjoyable to listen and try to determine what it is that might have legs.

• Moderators

...we spend a few minutes each practice in talking about how terrifically bad most of the music we play is. I guess not differen't if we were trained chefs working at an Outback.

What would a trained chef be doing working at an Outback?

And while we're there, what would "trained" musicians be doing playing music that's beneath them. That would require them to bag on their own repertoire? Having your cake and eating it too I suppose.

I would consider it pretty false and self congratulatory for a bunch of Outback chefs to put on the guise of credibility and slam their menu. Having their 8 oz. T-Bone and eating it too.

Archived