Once Again: It's great playing in a band with people that at least listen to.........

New Trail

• Members

......current music. I've talked about this before...most musicians that I know and work with don't even attempt to keep informed about current music. My one band that does was on hiatus and just re-formed. It's so great to be able to mention "the new Bruno Mars song" or the "I Whip my hair band and forth" song, not to learn them or anything, but just in passing, and they don't look at me funny...it's refreshing!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

......current music. I've talked about this before...most musicians that I know and work with don't even attempt to keep informed about current music. My one band that does was on hiatus and just re-formed. It's so great to be able to mention "the new Bruno Mars song" or the "I Whip my hair band and forth" song, not to learn them or anything, but just in passing, and they don't look at me funny...it's refreshing!

Refreshing I guess... but here's the opposite. Honestly, if I weren't covering this music, I wouldn't be listening to it. Of course I keep my ears pinned on media to keep on the up and up... but if I weren't learning this stuff to make money at it I probably wouldn't be discussing it in band situation. ;) In fact, we spend a few minutes each practice in talking about how terrifically bad most of the music we play is. I guess not differen't if we were trained chefs working at an Outback. The only thing we take pride in is how tasty the 'food' is when it's served. :D

I went out to lunch with a buddy that runs a 'review' site for progressive and power metal... so I spent a fat lunch talking about modal scales and 9/8 time signatures.

• Members

... but if I weren't learning this stuff to make money at it I probably wouldn't be discussing it in band situation.
;)
In fact, we spend a few minutes each practice in talking about how terrifically bad most of the music we play is.

I admire your candor.

• Members

...not that it's a bad thing or anything if a "dad band" doing classic rock, and nothing but, doesn't embrace bruno mars.. right?

I don't think anyone needs to "embrace" anything, but I agree with the OP that it is nice to hang with people who at least are AWARE of what is going on in the world around them.

• Members

Refreshing I guess... but here's the opposite. Honestly, if I weren't covering this music, I wouldn't be listening to it. Of course I keep my ears pinned on media to keep on the up and up... but if I weren't learning this stuff to make money at it I probably wouldn't be discussing it in band situation.
;)
In fact, we spend a few minutes each practice in talking about how terrifically bad most of the music we play is. I guess not differen't if we were trained chefs working at an Outback. The only thing we take pride in is how tasty the 'food' is when it's served.
:D

I went out to lunch with a buddy that runs a 'review' site for progressive and power metal... so I spent a fat lunch talking about modal scales and 9/8 time signatures.

THIS is pretty much my take also. Right down to the discussing prog/power metal with friends. :thu: BTW Grant can you give me the url for that site? I would like to check it out.

• Members

Refreshing I guess... but here's the opposite. Honestly, if I weren't covering this music, I wouldn't be listening to it.

This^^^^^^+1

Why grant, are you a closet proggie?:poke:;)

• Members

can you give me the url for that site? I would like to check it out.

+1

There's so much good stuff out there that I've never even heard of it's crazy. That's the kind of "current music" that I talk about with my bandmates, like the new Symphony X cd Iconoclast. I don't like much of what I've heard so far from it, save for The End of Innocence. They're starting to sound a little too Pantera-ish in my opinion.

• Members

I'd say the opposite.

I find it more refreshing when the guys I play with know the old stuff. And I'm not just talking 50's and 60's but 40's, 30's, and 20's too. I couldn't care less about what came out this month.

• Members

I asked the same thing in another thread and got no answer...

Exactly! We're not gonna cover "Friday Night" by Katy Perry but at least I've heard it and could comment on it. I just think it's good in general to be informed about the business that you are a part of.

Yay!

Agree, but... if your business is playing classic rock that sort of negates the business necessity of knowing what came out this month? Is it good to be informed about it? I guess so, for the sake of being able to converse about it if it comes up. I try to make it a point to go out of my way to listen to current music, but we play mostly classic rock & pop of primarily 60's, 70's and 80's music with a few by Pink, Green Day and a few others thrown in. Thing is, with a limited amount of time as it is to listen to and learn the songs that we are doing keeping up with what's current isn't high on the priority list. Now, if I was to play in a band playing Current music then that would be the top priority. As far as keeping up just to be able to talk about it? Pretty much a waste of the semi-limited time that I have to spend on music things.

• Members

the first guitar player we had in this band refused to play pretty much anything that came out after 1979. Our male vocalist (we used to have a male & a female vocalist) would play guitar on most of the songs that were newer than 1979 and our girl would sing 'em. :lol:

He may have played on a few 80s tunes too. They had to be in the "Classic Rock" genre though...

I do know he was pretty stand offish about the 70s vs everything else known to man.

• Members

Exactly! We're not gonna cover "Friday Night" by Katy Perry but at least I've heard it and could comment on it. I just think it's good in general to be informed about the business that you are a part of.

It's good to 'stay in the know' about any popular music. Even if you aren't performing it, it keeps you grounded and relevant as a player that is open to all types of music. I try to stay up with pop, country, hip hop... even though much of it I don't plan on covering.

• Members

I'd say the opposite.

I find it more refreshing when the guys I play with know the old stuff. And I'm not just talking 50's and 60's but 40's, 30's, and 20's too. I couldn't care less about what came out this month.

Music is an art form and, as such, is both linear and organic. I think it's good to know both where you've been and where you're going. If I was an artist in ANY medium I think it would be both important and useful to be familiar with the current trends even if I didn't choose to (directly anyway) incorporate them into my own work. And I agree it's very important to understand the history of music and where it all comes from as well.

And, on a personal level, I just like being culturally aware. I like knowing who most of the face and names are on the magazine rack. I don't really care for taking the "I'm ABOVE all this current junk" attitude I see a lot of people take.

• Members

Is there anybody who really HAS to cover songs they don't want to play?...

Well, yes, I do, kinda sorta. One of my bands is in reality a front man/leader/singer/guitarist type guy who will pull things off the cuff at a gig. Some of that stuff, if it were up to a 'vote' would be things I would vote against, but it's not like I'm playing any particular song under protest ;) or anything. I'd bet just about everyone has a song or two on the set list that they would rather not play if it came to a vote.

• Members

Well, yes, I do, kinda sorta. One of my bands is in reality a front man/leader/singer/guitarist type guy who will pull things off the cuff at a gig. Some of that stuff, if it were up to a 'vote' would be things I would vote against, but it's not like I'm playing any particular song under protest
;)
or anything. I'd bet just about everyone has a song or two on the set list that they would rather not play if it came to a vote.

Well sure. That's part of being in a band. But "rather not play if it came to a vote" and feeling somehow forced to play something you really dislike playing are two very-different things, IMO.

I'm sure there are some play-for-hire guys doing stuff they don't like----I imagine the guitarist in Celine Dion's band might have a song or two he feels he just has to "get through", but he has zero control over the longlist---but for guys in typical cover bands? I think we play stuff because we like the results we get from it.

Most of the stuff I play probably isn't stuff I pull out the CDs and listen to on my day off. But that's pretty much ALWAYS been the case in any band I've ever been in. I don't choose covers to play based on what on my personal Hot 100 of All Time list. I choose to play based on what will work best for the band I'm in. And enjoy playing those songs for that reason.

• Members

I kinda of failed to properly articulate my feelings, I will try again-

Modern music is more or less a part of pop culture. Just as much as the latest harry potter movie or maybe stephen kings most recent book... So what bothers me is the attitude that if I don't keep up with pop culture, that it's some kind of a bad thing :idk: or something. I actually do keep up with modern music, but not TV, and I get the same kind of reaction from friends when referencing the latest reality crap show or dancing with the idiots, or whatever. I just don't watch TV because I don't have the time. I'm sure many classic rockers who see no gain or relevance in keeping with with modern music would cite the same reasons.

Archived