The Top Acts from each Decade?

New Trail

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Opinion:

90's Nirvana

Ehhh... they got famous after Cobain died, really. In the `90s, in the rock world, Metallica was selling out stadiums all over the world, as was Guns `n' Roses. Nirvana never compared to the other bands you listed on the commercial "epic-ness" of what they did.

Other thoughts on the biggest band of the `90s? U2 was everuwhere...

• Members

Off the beaten path....

30's - Charlie Christian (no Eddie Van without Charlie)

40's - Charlie Parker

50's - Sun Records

60's - The Wrecking Crew (LA studio cats)/Beatles/Pet Sounds

70's - Hendrix

80's - Eddie Van Halen for guitar/Donald Fagen for raising the recording and album bar (Nightfly)

90's - Alanis Morrisette - the start of profitable "indie rock", 30+ million albums sold recorded on three ADATs.

00's - Amy Winehouse

• Members

40's and 50's... ehhhh

80's - Prince

It's nice to see my old customer make the list. He had been a customer for a while when his engineer (Susan Rogers) asked for a project. She said that Prince wanted a temporary studio system in his rehearsal warehouse for a single project. So, I designed, wired and installed a 24 track system for him. I had hardware delivered from Otari, Soundcraft and a few other manufacturers to where I worked. I spent Thursday - Sunday wiring things to the design Susan and I came up with and delivered on Monday morning. All worked well and he was successful in using the system with a MINIMAL of training. He ended up using the studio system in his rehearsal warehouse to develop a lot of the the Purple Rain material which sold over 13 million copies. He, of course, was smart enough that he required no training on the material, although I spent a few minutes with him trying to train him, he pretty much ignored me. ;)

• Members

^^^This right here is cool^^^

Thank you. ;) It was cool and it was quite a challenge getting things done in his requested time frame. I believe that Susan was quite surprised that it got done and delivered on time. I pretty much stayed at the shop wiring Thursday - Sunday. The system had pretty much everything he needed with everything going through a 192 point patch bay. Speaker wise it was JBL 4430's, the same speaker model that I have in my living room (silly me). I've had those since pretty near the day they were first built.

• Members

To Clarify: My OP was based on the idea of "Which Musical Act defined their Decade" and maybe I should have phrased it that way. In other words, what musical act to you think of when someone says "The 50's", "The 60's: etc. etc.

BTW I was HOPING that someone OTHER than Nickelback and Lady Gaga defined their decades!

• Members

I dunno, when I think of the 70's I personally think Skynrd / Eagles. When I think 60's it's Beatles hands down for me.

I mentioned the Bee Gees because, although they didn't "invent" disco they certainly have to get a lot of the credit for spreading it's popularity into the "general public", making it "mainstream". And, whether you like disco or not, it was a pretty huge musical phenomenon of the 70's. You could argue that disco defined the 70's in the end. I won't argue that...but you can.

• Members

70's is tough. It can be anyone from Barry Manilow to Led Zeppelin to Chicago to Eagles to Genesis to Ian Dury to Nick Lowe to Sex Pistols to Simon & Garfunkle to Rare Earth to...

and that is totally ignoring Disco which is probably in the running for defining a generation...

Archived