Trop rock

TIMKEYS

• Members

I'd like to hear that guy sing when his voice changes.

I would guess that it already has , he is 22. That video was shot down here this summer at one of our beach bars. latinos tend to have higher voices from what I see down here with the guys I know who are performers.

• Members

Happened to me too. You can delete them on the edit page.

I would think that anything with an accordion is an acquired taste . . . highly regional, like Zydeco, TexMex, Oom Pah, Argentine Tango, etc.

LOL,, no doubt. trop rock is coastal music. Texas is a big part of the third coast. One of the originals we play has accordian in it ,,,I cover it with the keyboard.

• Moderators

wow. that was pure {censored}.

What a pathetic thing to say. Your false bravado of course inspired me to check out your stuff... Weird. All I hear is bad cover renditions with not a single ounce of creativity and barely hanging on musicianship. Nice buzzing bee guitar tone. I'm sure the drunk divorcees are digging your coolness. You guys rock. Whiskey Train? That name is COOL! Dorkus Maximus.

fun, isn't it?

• Moderators

What a pathetic thing to say. Your false bravado of course inspired me to check out
your stuff...
Weird. All I hear is bad cover renditions with not a single ounce of creativity and barely hanging on musicianship. Nice buzzing bee guitar tone. I'm sure the drunk divorcees are digging your coolness. You guys rock. Whiskey Train? That name is COOL! Dorkus Maximus.

fun, isn't it?

It amazes me that guys will actually slam other musicians. Particularly ones that are promoting their own music To write, arrange, organize, record, master, distribute... I mean... fine. Whatever. But it's weird the way guys with real talent, that has been earned through hard work, tend not to talk trash about other musicians. My rant on your band is not sincere. Just making a point about your momentary slip into lameness.

• Members

It amazes me that guys will actually slam other musicians. Particularly ones that are promoting their own music To write, arrange, organize, record, master, distribute... I mean... fine. Whatever. But it's weird the way guys with real talent, that has been earned through hard work, tend not to talk trash about other musicians. My rant on your band is not sincere. Just making a point about your momentary slip into lameness.

I would not feel too sorry for the kid on the video,,, he opened for willie nelson down down here. My guess is his career is going to be just fine.

• Moderators

I would not feel too sorry for the kid on the video,,, he opened for willie nelson down down here. My guess is his career is going to be just fine.

Ya see... the last thing on my mind is the kid. I'm thinking of Crustee and how that insecurity most weigh heavy at times. I'm serious. I listened to Crustee's stuff and I listen to the video. I'm no Trop Rock kind of guy but "the kid" had something. You just have to wonder about the motivation of:

"wow. that was pure {censored}."

wow. that was pathetic.

• Members

I would think that anything with an accordion is an acquired taste . . . highly regional, like Zydeco, TexMex, Oom Pah, Argentine Tango, etc.

The accordian also slips into some of the roots music. The best example may be Mellencamp where you can hear it on songs like "Check It Out" and "Cherry Bomb". When he played here the keyboard player actually spent a lot of time working the accordian which sounded great IMO.

• Moderators

The accordian also slips into some of the roots music. The best example may be Mellencamp where you can hear it on songs like "Check It Out" and "Cherry Bomb". When he played here the keyboard player actually spent a lot of time working the accordian which sounded great IMO.

I love that sound. I use a melodica to fake accordion pads in my songwriting demos.

• Members

I can listen to just about any style of music. To me if I were in that area of the Gulf coast I would probably seek out some of the better bands in the area. For me it's regional type music... but for others it's a lifestyle. I have friends that live in Ohio and are big Parrotheads. They are both in their early 50's and retired (postal service). Definitely a generational/age gap for me. They spend the entire months of January-Feb in the Florida keys. So they get to soak in that sun and lifestyle for a month or two every year and bring the music home with them. For me if I hear it on a vacation and it's in the background. Good stuff just not my cup of tea. The accordion is the only thing that interests me as it must be hard to find players.

As for the guy in the video... the only thing that doesn't sell me (aside from the poorly produced video) is his age/voice. Most storytellers are grey and bearded. This guy looks like he's 18 and sounds like he's twelve (I see he's 22). I don't know much about the lifestyle or music but the 'buy in' for me is that this guy has lived alot and has a story to tell. I don't hear a single grit of whiskey in his voice. So clean it's sounds like Christian inspirational music... not good times and kicking back. I listened to a few other songs on his website and I think he has more promise in the straight up country track... but I agree with Blue Strat, his voice is pitched higher than the usual drawl.

I'm am not an expert on the music... I'm just giving my opinion as a listener.

Archived